buying used

/ buying used #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
What would be a good rule of thumb will looking at used tractors? How many hrs. on the meter would be a safe number?

/ buying used #2  
On an Ag tractor, I wouldn't be too nervous about a diesel machine with 3-4000 hours,unless it looked to be seriously neglected or abused. I'm not well versed on the life expectancy of a compact, so I can't and won't comment on that.

/ buying used #3  
Ag tractors lose value after about 6000hrs but could not be regarded as high till 7000 .Some of these tractors are clocking up 3000hrs per year now they are different you dont want a 3 year old tractor with 6000hrs but a 15 year old with 6000 is nothing to fear .

/ buying used #4  
Look less at hours.. and more at condition.

An unskilled operator can ruin a 35,000.00$ tractor in about half an hour... Whereas a skille doperator that performs all needed maintenance and repairs on time, can have a jewel of a tractor that is 20-30 ys old, and look and run like it were only a few ys old..

Soundguy

/ buying used #5  
mechanic said:
What would be a good rule of thumb will looking at used tractors? How many hrs. on the meter would be a safe number?

Big problem here is that you will usually find out that the hourmeter on the 20+ year old used tractor you're looking at stopped working sometime in the past. So the # of hours is at best a guess. This is a common occurance for tractors offered at auction on eBay.

The 1966 MF-135 diesel that I bought last July showed 4600 hours and the hourmeter/tach, which was still operating even though half of the pointer was missing. So I think the indicated hours are actual. Lucked out here. Tractor runs fine, but needs a thorough cleaning, sheet metal work, new gauges and repainting.

The seller said that the engine had been overhauled at 3000-3500 hours. Since he and his dad were only the 2nd owners, I trust that this info is correct. And he fixed a problem with the 3pt hitch hydraulics before he put in on the market.

It's important to find out how the tractor was used. The 135 I bought was an orchard tractor used exclusively for mowing and light tilling with an 7-8-ft wide tandem disc. So I figure it didn't see any excessive loads on the engine and/or drivetrain so far.

/ buying used #6  
Condition of the tractor along with maintenance is of paramount importance. My dad purchased an AC 8050 5 years ago with over 4,500 hours on it. He knew the tractor very well. He sold it new to a local farmer back in the 80's. So basically, he got a 15 year old AG tractor with air and cab, 180 HP with 150 HP at the PTO for $12K. That tractor listed for over $50K in the mid 80's. I hope that someday I can retire and try to wear it out.

Back to your original question, if I knew the history of the tractor, or if the unit has had regular maintenance performed on it, I would not be afraid of a 4,000 hour machine.

/ buying used #7  
D7E said:
Ag tractors lose value after about 6000hrs but could not be regarded as high till 7000 .Some of these tractors are clocking up 3000hrs per year now they are different you dont want a 3 year old tractor with 6000hrs but a 15 year old with 6000 is nothing to fear .

Okay, I have to ask, why is 6K in 3 years "worse" than 6K in 15 years, assuming everything else is equal?
Bob

PS I would have guessed just the opposite.

/ buying used #8  
mechanic said:

Ii bought a 2003 AG utility tractor (New Holland TN70A) with 168 hrs. The seat was beat up from the sun, but it had only 168 hrs. It has run 120 hrs in the last 5 months just fine.
Bob

/ buying used #9  
Doc_Bob said:
Okay, I have to ask, why is 6K in 3 years "worse" than 6K in 15 years, assuming everything else is equal?
Bob

PS I would have guessed just the opposite.

6khrs in 3 ys = 5hr,45m used each day.

6khrs in 15 ys = 1hr,5m,45s used each day.

Just lower average daily use.. etc.

Soundguy

/ buying used #10  
Soundguy said:
Look less at hours.. and more at condition.

An unskilled operator can ruin a 35,000.00$ tractor in about half an hour... Whereas a skille doperator that performs all needed maintenance and repairs on time, can have a jewel of a tractor that is 20-30 ys old, and look and run like it were only a few ys old..

Soundguy

Boy aint that the truth !