Buying vs. Hiring

/ Buying vs. Hiring #1  

USAFpj

Silver Member
Tractor
1957 841 Powermaster
Hello! The wife and I plan on building a home on our 140 acre parcel in Upstate SC by this time next year. My question is this- Is it wiser to hire professionals to clear a heavily wooded (2) acre home site, dig the septic, and clear the old log road to the site, or buy a $20K backhoe and, along with my Uncle's Dozer, do this work myself? Time is not the issue right now, but I could use that $20K towards the down payment on the mortgage or for the other expenses that come with a new home.

Am I really saving money by attempting this work myself with a tool I know I'll need to maintain the land, or just wait until the home is up, then look for toys? Thanks, TBN.

/ Buying vs. Hiring #2  
That's a lot of work ... I would hire it out.

Congrats on the property and new venture

/ Buying vs. Hiring #3  
If your familiar with running a backhoe, digging septic systems and clearing property I would say have at it. If your not familiar with running a backhoe I would say putting in a septic system is not the place for on the job training. Let someone who is experienced to it for you. Its money well spent.

/ Buying vs. Hiring #4  
When hiring, you are getting more than just a tool(backhoe) and operator. You should also be getting working experience and knowledge about permits etc. for your area.

For my area in Ohio, you must have certificates and licenses to install a septic system.

/ Buying vs. Hiring
Thanks for the words, wolftree. Honestly, not experienced with hoe work at all. Even if I just stuck with the less technical home site land clearing (slope with rock), I bet the cost of the machine still wouldn't be warranted. But writing out a check for something I know I could do in time is painful...

/ Buying vs. Hiring #6  
I built my place (on 2 acres) 6 years ago, I paid out just over $6000. to clear and have the foundation dug. I wished many times since that I bought a backhoe and did it myself. You could buy something and sell after you're done, and get most of your money back. If time wasn't an issue that's what I would do.
Good Luck
Harvey

/ Buying vs. Hiring #7  
If time is not a factor then I would do it myself when you hire a job done that money you spent is gone. But if you buy equipment and do it yourself you can always sell equipment when done and recoup some if not all your investment. And as for clearing land if you hire it done they may do a great job but after land settles for a while it needs more attention they are not going to come back and address this for free.IMHO

/ Buying vs. Hiring #8  
From my experience, you'll save money and headaches if you hire it out.

(Been there, done that.)

/ Buying vs. Hiring #9  
First, welcome.

An issue I haven't seen mentioned -- will the higher down payment reduce the interest rate on your mortgage?

Steve

PS. How close are you to Clemson?

/ Buying vs. Hiring #10  
Did you get any prices on the job yet? You need to know them to find your answer.