Grading BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #1  

MIKE_E

Tractor
B2601
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to compact tractors and accesories so bear with me. I just took delivery of a new BX-1500 with a FEL and a temporary used 60 inch rear blade(until the new 72 inch Land Pride arrives). My question: is the 72 inch blade overkill for this tractor? I will be using it to plow snow in the winter and keep the 1200 ft gravel driveway in check in the summer. I live in So. Wisconsin and the snow falls have been not much to speak of lately. The dealer told me it should work fine and would cover the wheels when turned at even 45 degrees.
I've seen some posts with problems plowing with a rear blades on larger tractors. Would a 60 inch be a wiser investment. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TIA
Mike

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #2  
Hi Mike, Welcome to TBN. How deep is your average snow? I think that anything more than say 6" the 72" is going to want more steam than the BX1500 can muster. I have a 60" blade on a BX1800, and it will want to stall or spin given a good loading. There are many members here that have a BX1500 that may be able to give you a better idea of its capabilities.

Doug

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #3  
Mike . Welcome to TBN ! Just in my own opinion ,a 72 inch blade might be a bit much for a bx1500. If you are just going to use it for snow removal it might well work . But I'd suggest chains on the tires as well . Without them You'll find the rear blade can act like a rudder on a ship in certain situations .
I think overall the 60" blade would be a better match for your machine . But if you go with the 72" blade ... you can always turn the blade backwards to plow . It might take an additional pass ,but it get's the job done . John

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #4  
I have a 60 inch blade on my BX1500 and I don't think I would want anything bigger. In heavy snow the little machine can be outclassed even by the 60 incher. It's a great machine
but I would want 20 plus hp for six feet of blade.

Where's the pics? We love to see new machines.

Dean

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #5  
MIKE_E,

I have a Woods HBL-72-2 for my B2910 with loader. I was surprised how easily that blade could "steer" the tractor while plowing snow, depending upon blade angle and snow density/wetness. I think the 72" blade is a good match for my B2910, I wouldn't want to go any larger.

I would think that 60" would be the absolute maximum size for a BX-1500. I think it's as much a tractor weight issue as a horse-power issue. I think a 72" would too large for any of the BX series tractors.

My recommendation is to find a good 60" blade that angles, tilts and offsets without tools. (Some blades require you to remove the blade and remount it using different holes to get the offset. That's too much work for me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) There are a few manufacturer's that make such a blade, but I can't think of their names right now. Perhaps a search would turn up something. In my opinion a 60" offsetting blade would be far better suited to your tractor than a non-offsetting 60" (or 72") blade.

~Rick

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #6  
Ditto what others have said. I have a MF GC2300 (comparable to Kub BX2200--unless you read some of the other threads) with a 5 ft blade. Works well, but I don't think I could do any bigger.

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #7  
I agree. I have a 72" Land Pride behind my B7510 (B7500) and I push alot of snow, but it will sidewalk my tractor easily if I bite off more than it can chew. Ballasted rear tires could help that. It also depends on which Land Pride you have. I have a 1572, not the light duty 0572. Mine weighs quite a bit more than the light duty, plus I have the skid shoes. they add 50# alone... they are real heavy duty, too. I've never seen a blade like the Land Pride before. It's pure iron. I am looking to dump my 72" and go with a Wood 60" for the weight reasons myself. I anticipate when I do some dirt grading soon, the 72" will be too much.

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #8  
robertm,

My Woods HBL-72 goes about 500 lbs. I didn't get the skid shoes and so far haven't needed them. Reversing the blade seems to work quite well for moving the snow.

I've been thinking about filling the rear tires, but haven't had the need yet. I'm wondering if that would help any with the problem of the blade steering the tractor. It seems the tractor pivots about the rear wheels (I do have the chains on in the winter) and with the fronts on a slick surface, they don't get much traction to keep the tractor pointed straight.

If you fill your rear tires I'd be interested in seeing if it helped any.

~Rick

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade
"Thank You" to everyone who replied. I think I will drop back to a 60 inch blade based on the comments here. Great forum! When I get the new blade & some sun I'll post a picture. That is if it ever quits raining. We got anywhere from 4-7 inches of rain last night. The fields are not lookin' pretty

Thanks Again
Mike

/ BX-1500 w/72 inch Rear Blade #10  
The 60" blade would be the best choise.
But now there is another thing you have to remember. Make sure the Rear blade is designed for a sub compact. I learned this from buying a catagory 1 60" rear blade and it did not lift paralel to the ground and I had to return it.
I looked into sub compact rear blades and attachments and tried two rear blades out on my BX2200.

The first was the King Kutter 48" XB (XB stands for sub cumpact). The Blade I felt was too light and would not dig in as I felt a blade should. In snow removel it was too narrow and wet packed snow would be allmost imppossable to remove.

The second is the Woods RBC 60 Estate Series (Which I Kept and love It!).
The thing that I questioned was the price (Why so much more?)
Well I purchased it any way to try it out and let me tell you Woods did a Great job making this blade!
I would not think it would be such a big differance between the two. But the RBC60 is the best blade I have used to date.
It would dig in to soil better, on snow removal 5' is the way to go it rolls the wet packed snow in the blade better so removal is easier and it cuts down to remove the packed snow which the King Kutter could not. I believe it is due to the curve in the blade. I think it would be a great match for the BX1500. Oh if you would like to have an easier time using it Invest in the suitcase weights. I have 5-55lbs weights and the weight bracket kit which is everything close to 300lbs and it made all the differance in the world! The BX1500 weights I believe are differant. If intrested check with Kubota parts.