BX 1830 what to pay?

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #11  
An all in price of $9K sounds pretty good for the tractor with those attachments. I think you will be very happy with your new toy.... I mean tool.

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #12  
1*Since it looked as though the 3 point hitch was never used I just assumed that the tires were loaded since the FEL looked like it had been used a good bit.
When I checked the tires there was no fluid in them and
2*I figured that the lack of a counter weight might have been reason for the poor digging and instability. I talked to the dealer the next day and he told me to come to the dealership to get a ballast box that I could attach to the machine.
3*Once I hooked up the loaded ballast box it was an entirely different machine!
4*The ballast box made a huge difference in digging ability (traction) and stability.
1*Neither 1 of these is an indicator of wether or not the tires have been filled.
2*What do you mean might of been It certainly was why.
3*Of course it was that's no surprise.
4* No tractor should be operated with the FEL and no counter balance .

/ BX 1830 what to pay?
1*Neither 1 of these is an indicator of wether or not the tires have been filled.
2*What do you mean might of been It certainly was why.
3*Of course it was that's no surprise.
4* No tractor should be operated with the FEL and no counter balance .

1* Since the machine had 450 hrs on it and the only thing that didn't look like brand new was the bucket I assumed that some type of counter weight must have been used. Since the 3 point hitch was never used I figured that the tires were loaded.

So the guy that owned the machine previously only must have moved mulch and saw dust or weighed over 500 lbs... or maybe he was just crazy.

2&3* I was sure that the ballast box would make a difference but didn't know how big of a difference.

4* I agree with you. To use the fel to its full potential you need a counter weight. If you are only going to move light material on relatively level ground where traction will not be an issue you could probably get away without having a counter weight.

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #15  
4* I agree with you. To use the fel to its full potential you need a counter weight. If you are only going to move light material on relatively level ground where traction will not be an issue you could probably get away without having a counter weight.

Bought my first tractor 5 years ago, a BX2200 MMM FEL turf tires not filled. Traded it for a B7800 FEL Filled tires, traded that for a L3240HST filled tires and traded that to a B3200 FEL filled tires. I have 5 acres of hillside, rocky, treed land. I moved alot of rocks and dirt with the BX2200 and because it done so much I traded it to the B7800 for higher ground clearance. Sure glad I didn't know I couldn't/shouldn't move all that I did for a year on hillside property without counter weight. Sure counter weight will give more traction and stability but can't do it seems rather absolute. I really think it depends more on the load and greatest efficiency than can't or shouldn't.

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #16  
Bought my first tractor 5 years ago, a BX2200 MMM FEL turf tires not filled. Traded it for a B7800 FEL Filled tires, traded that for a L3240HST filled tires and traded that to a B3200 FEL filled tires. I have 5 acres of hillside, rocky, treed land. I moved alot of rocks and dirt with the BX2200 and because it done so much I traded it to the B7800 for higher ground clearance. Sure glad I didn't know I couldn't/shouldn't move all that I did for a year on hillside property without counter weight. Sure counter weight will give more traction and stability but can't do it seems rather absolute. I really think it depends more on the load and greatest efficiency than can't or shouldn't.

I think everyone agrees that it depends on load weight and ground conditions. LBrown is often absolute with his opinion on things, but even he didn't say that you "can't do it." I notice that all of your tires have been filled since the BX2200, so even you must admit that the extra weight has its advantages. A counter weight without filled tires is accomplishing the same thing.

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #17  
I think everyone agrees that it depends on load weight and ground conditions. LBrown is often absolute with his opinion on things, but even he didn't say that you "can't do it." I notice that all of your tires have been filled since the BX2200, so even you must admit that the extra weight has its advantages. A counter weight without filled tires is accomplishing the same thing.

LBrown said 4* No tractor should be operated with the FEL and no counter balance. Looks like a strong don't do it to me. My dealer (Barlows) recommends filled tires to me so I do it. I do agree that filled tires or counter weight is better but the almost absolute statement always catches my attention especially after operating a BX for a year without it. I didn't know I even had any issues with it or without it but I would lift my tractor off the ground sometimes and some times would do the spincter tighten when it felt like it was going to turn over on a turn with a loaded bucket.:) Also taught me to always keep the bucket down near the ground which I still practice. Been so long ago that I had almost forgotten about it, course have had the same issues with loaded tires and full bucket on downhill turns. Fill tires or add counterweight with FEL use, I agree. Box blade makes a good counterweight.

/ BX 1830 what to pay?
When I hauled my first big bucket full of dirt without a counterweight I had one of the rear tires 6"-10" off of the ground. But to tell you the truth I felt that the machine was still pretty stable and not close to tipping over. I was more concerned with the torsional stress this was putting on the frame and loader. After I add the ballast box I hauled an even heavier bucket full of dirt across the same path and the rear end stayed glued to the ground.

I built my house into a side of a hill so everytime I start a new project (swing set, shed, patio, fire pit) it consists of digging out the clay hillside and buildind a retaining wall so that I have a level spot to build. Without the ballast box as soon as I would sink the bucket into the hillside the rear end would lose traction the diff lock was useless and your bucket was only good for making the 3 point hitch bounce up and down.

I would not have even considered buying this machine if the best performance that I could expect was what I got without the ballast.

/ BX 1830 what to pay? #19  
I agree that a box blade makes a great counterweight and is a great tool to have around anyway. That's one of the reasons I got a BB when I picked up my new B7510 w/FEL.