BX 1860 starts rough

/ BX 1860 starts rough #1  

poldies4

Silver Member
Tractor
B 2320
The last few times i've run my BX it seems to start pretty ugly. Today for the first time it started and quit. Lots of white smoke for the first 5-10 seconds. It lives in a dry warm barn, and only has 20 hrs on it. A while back I posted a thread about starting procedure and have not really altered mine since it was new. For some reason after starting it from cold, it sputters, and smokes before it "catches". Today it sputtered and quit after 3-4 seconds. I attempted to start it again, it sputtered and smoked for 5-10 seconds and then idled normally. I've noticed this becoming gradually worse over the last month or so. I use good fuel from a large station, and let it warm up properly, I maybe baby it too much, but this is a little bit of a concern for me. So my questions are, is this normal? I feel like my new tractor should start like a new tractor. I check my fluids before every use, and all are topped off. The tractor runs great, and once its warmed up it starts perfectly, or at least what I believe is perfect. I've always preheated for the 3-5 second per the manual, and it doesn't seem to make a difference if the throttle is at idle, half throttle(as recommended by the manual) or am I just asking a diesel engine to be like a gas engine? Maybe it's something simple? Any Ideas? Thanks in advance........

/ BX 1860 starts rough #2  
perhaps your glow plugs is bad?

/ BX 1860 starts rough #5  
i think you might have a fuel problem. I'd take a hard look at your filter, see if it's discolored or has sedement in it.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #6  
use the glow plug a bit longer and put the trottle up a bit and you will see some difference

/ BX 1860 starts rough #7  
Second the little long plug and slight higher throttle. It wuz durn cold here mid iowa yesterday from the 75-80 last week.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #8  
Preheating 3-5 seconds per the manual

Are you counting 3 - 5 or timing it???? Counting to 3 is about 1.5 seconds. What is the temp??? As it gets colder it takes more glow. Most diesels sputter for a few seconds.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #9  
I go a bit longer on the glow plugs than you do. I guess I go around 6 seconds in the summer, and 10 seconds in the winter.

/ BX 1860 starts rough #10  
It was freezing recently, literally. In warmer weather 3-5 counts works OK. In the cold stuff 6-10 counts. In zero weather, two sets of 10 counts. It fires up in a flash. No puffs and no stumbles. Also, diesel additive year round. Just a wee splash in fuel can.