BX 2200 grass cutting

/ BX 2200 grass cutting #1  

NYTrainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2200
Put about 6 hrs on new machine so far. I tried on all implements on the 3 ph (mounting / dismounting), attached and detached the FEL and even the 60" midmount mower. All very easy to do (struggled somewhat with the 3 ph). In fact I was prepared with my rollaway (toolbox) and was surprised that mostly everything came on/off by hand! Quite an engineering marvel, IMO.
I had previously posted a request for info on a mulching kit for the 60". My dealer ordered it for me (@$250 for discharge boot, mulch blades and baffles). I had an opportunity to cut my acre of lawn yesterday (I'm a bit of a fanatic w/lawns) and let me tell you that I couldn't believe how much better it looked. I know this seems silly, but, to me, it means alot. The time, of course, needed to cut was decreased but the actual cut with the 60" deck, again IMO, was amazing. I thought there would be grass clippings in windrows without a bagger or at least a mulching kit. I am, of course, comparing it to a 42" GT with which I was very happy with. I even originally considered omitting the mower from my order but the GT is getting old. Glad I didn't!
To get back to the mulching kit, I called the dealer after I cut the lawn to ask him if it was too late to cancel the mulching kit order. He told me, before I had a chance to ask him that, "Your kit came in". He said "no problem" (even though he probably paid some sort of shipping) and would return the money I prepaid along with the BX poster I had asked him for my 3 year old Son!
In short, this BX is a grass cutting machine and not just something it is capable of.
Even though a very long post, It's intent is to maybe help someone who is trying to decide, as I was, about the BX.
Thanks.
David

/ BX 2200 grass cutting #2  
David,

Have to agree with you there - I've used my BX with 60" belly-mount deck on my lawn and back pasture and it's looking very nice. I didn't buy the BX with any expectation for fine cut - I was really looking at the utility factor. As it is, the rough pasture out back is looking better groomed than my neighbors lawn across the road (apart from the dandelions!).

I've not been pampering the tractor either - I unintentionally found a couple of grapefruit sized rocks in the pasture with the mower that I missed on the walk-through. A few nicks on the blade but nothing on the deck. In fact, I weigh 250lbs (who needs wheel-weights!) and can stand on the middle of the deck without any flex.

On the lawn at the front of the house the mower leaves a more groomed finish than the guy over the road gets with his new John Deere lawn tractor.

I'm thinking that as long as I keep the blades sharp this deck will keep up the great performance. No problem windrowing either - just keep mowing clockwise and there's nothing visible left behind. The hydrostatic trans. makes it super maneuverable with a few quick changes of direction even if it is no match for the ZTRs in tight situations!

/ BX 2200 grass cutting #3  
I am so glad to hear how well the BX2200 does with the 60" belly mower. I just got mine and haven't had to mow yet. I too am a real fanatic on lawn, in fact I have a 10HP AgFab Vacuum, but hope I don't have to use it. Let us know how the multching kit does if you still get it.

Dr Dan

/ BX 2200 grass cutting #4  
Hi Folks, I got by BX2200 with 60 in. deck and landscape box Friday afternoon and have put 7 hours on it. I have 5 1/2 acres, mostly in lawn, a small pond, and maybe two dozen trees. Much of the lawn is gently sloped/terraced. I had previously owned a Toro/Wheelhorse 520H with 60 in. deck which did OK, but it bogged down in the tall grass and would loose traction on the terraces. The BX is great! It not only cuts faster, but it does not loose traction and I've already used it for a couple heavy moving jobs the Toro would never do. It also fits well in my oversized 2 car garage if front of my car. This forum was very helpful in deciding making my decision. I recall a thread on tool boxes elsewhere, but have any of you BXers found a place to stash a few tools?

Dave

/ BX 2200 grass cutting
DrDan,
My dealer, who, by the way, personally delivered my equipment some 180 miles (one way), while still beating the best prices I've seen posted on this forum, told me it was no problem that I changed my mind about the mulch kit. I guess, while it may seem tacky, I want to mention him and the dealer. He is Bruce Lambert from Advantage Tractor Sales, located in Southern New Jersey. (609)425-8900. They have some operation there (rentals, sales, service, full hardware and feed store) not to mention a ton of Kubotas. When I told him how my local dealer couldn't seem to be bothered making a sale, much less help me with questions, he set up the BX, with implements (FEL, 60" and blades) that I was interested in, so that I could try the combination. I am just putting out this info because it was not "business as usual" that I experience here, locally, on Long Island. (NY) I realize some of the members of this forum are dealers as well and I don't mean to say they wouldn't provide the same service and prices. Just wanted to relay my experience.
When I cut the lawn the other day it was longer than I usually let it get. I wanted to try the BX so I had gone beyond the height I normally let it get. With no visible grass clippings, even as long as it was, I know I will not need the mulching kit. I am interested in the Agri-Fab equipment though as I used a double bagger on my GT to tackle the leaves come fall. How does that work exactly. Does it mulch? Have a remote hose?
By the way, I had looked at your profile and noticed your website. I signed on and we (kids and myself) really enjoyed your website. If you like animals, you'll like the information provided on DrDan's site.
Thanks,
David

/ BX 2200 grass cutting #6  
I got an Agri-Fab 8HP Mow-N-Vac that did have a chipper shredder also until I converted it to electric start and had to do away with the chipper shredder that was in the way of the starter. Aside from being a monstor to start w/o electric start (you have to turn over the hammer mill plus get start rev's above a certain rpm to release compression release) it seems to be a pretty good machine. I spent a whole bunch of money on it at the local welding shop. Being in a wheelchair I can't get on & off the tractor all the time to open the "rinky dink" door on the back of the wagon to dump the grass or leaves. I saw one on an English lawn care website that was hydraulic dump and that sparked ideas. My welder (genius) installed electro-hydraulics, so now all I have to do is reach back and hit the control lever and the wagon stands on end and as it is rising the rear door automatically opens and it stacks the grass or leaves in a pile. Ended up with $1200 for the machine and $1500 for the modifications but it is a champ. Too bad Agri-Fab doesn't build them like this one because it is really much better than the original. I loved leaves last fall. Ground up mine plus the neighbors and put them all in the compost pile. Now we are using this beautiful black humus in all our flower beds. So... The machine is a good start, but I'd at least put on electric start.

Yes, it has a hose that connects to the deck output and I also have a hose that can be used to suck the leaves and stuff out of flower beds. It's neat! If I think of it, I'll take some pictures and post them.

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I guess it is an obscession. I keep adding things all the time. Like to teach people about their pets.

Dr Dan