BX-2200 won't start

/ BX-2200 won't start #1  

NYTrainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2200
BX-2200 won\'t start

I've got a BX-2200 with about 280 hrs that just won't start. I know there are many possibilities but the manual does not help much.
I was cutting the grass and the BX acted as if I ran out of fuel. I topped of the tank, bled it (even took the fuel line offf at the distribution block to check for fuel flow. Fuel and pump OK). The engine cranks and cranks without a hint of it trying to start. The indicator lamps on the dash show preheat of the glowplugs when the key is in that position and the battery and oil lamps are working correctly. Air filter is new as well as fuel filters. I'm stumped. Guess I need a manual or? I do not have a trailer so I would have to request a housecall from?? There is no dealer on Long Island anymore.
Any tips or suggestions would be welcomed. I'm not sure what to check next. The fuses all look good. Help! Thanks.
Dave

/ BX-2200 won't start #2  
Re: BX-2200 won\'t start

I don't know it will crank if the seat safety switch is broken or if it just won't engage the starter.

I believe there is an electric shut off to the fuel pump, so maybe its not pumping fuel???? When you turn the switch on, do you hear what sounds like the fuel pump making noise?

Hope this helps.
ron

/ BX-2200 won't start #3  

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust to indicate you are getting fuel tn the combustion chambers?
If not then you are not getting any fuel.

/ BX-2200 won't start #4  

Sounds like the fuel cut-off solenoid - aither burned out or wira came off.

paul<br /6

/ BX-2200 won't start #5  

you said it sounded like it ran out of fuel, did it? If it did then you have probably got it airlocked. We had a portable air compressor run empty at work one night (diesel engine, contractors using the machine) and to get the injectors reprimed we had to loosen the high pressure fuel lines attached to the injectors to bleed the air off. It was an I-6 and this was a lengthly process but it worked. Because it's fuel pickup was lower than the injectors the air in the system was not being purged back through the system, it was going straight to the injector. I don't know if there is a seat switch on your tractor but I can start mine while standing next to it. The tranny and pto just need be in N.

/ BX-2200 won't start #6  

The electric fuel pump on the BX's makes it very unlikely that the injection pump can get air locked. Possible but I think unlikely.

paul

/ BX-2200 won't start

Techman,
I am not familiar with the fuel cut off solenoid. Where is it and how do I check it? Thanks.
Dave

/ BX-2200 won't start

<font color="blue">Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust to indicate you are getting fuel to the combustion chambers?
If not then you are not getting any fuel. </font>

There is no smoke when the engine cranks. Fuel, or lack of it, seems to be the culprit. Techman mentioned a fuel cut off solenoid. I'm not sure where that is located but hope it's after the pump and filter (that way it makes more sense as I get fuel pumping out of a disconnected fuel line with key in the ON position.). Thanks again for any suggestions.
Dave

/ BX-2200 won't start #9  

Go to TractorSmart and download the parts manual for your tractor. That should give you an idea of the location of the fuel cutoff.

Bill Tolle

/ BX-2200 won't start #10  

The fuel cutoff solenoid is mounted on the engine/injection pump. Look in the area of the injection pump, and it is the only item with a wire hanging out. You can disconnect the lead and check the solenoid end with an ohmeter. You should read I would think a hundred ohms or so to ground. If that checks out, then put a voltmeter on the other wire end and turn on the ignition. You should get 12 volts. If not, check the fuses that are located under the dashboard on the right hand side. they are part of the wiring harness. If one is burned out, that could be your problem, but also you should find out why it burned out.

paul