BX 24 engine continues runnig

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #1  

Pkelley

Tractor
BX 24
I have 100 hours on my BX 24. Today after running all day (6hours) cleaning an irrigation ditch, when I completed the days work I shut the ignition off and the engine continued to run for 5 or 10 minutes. Then it started to run a little rough and then shut down. What happend?

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #2  
Check all the fuses, there's one that will kill the engin, via selenoid.

The reason it started to run weird is the fuel pump did shutdown, not that fuse.

Keep us posted.

Bird

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #3  
Could be a broken ring or valve seal. The fact that it runs rough at the end is the indicator. Normally if the fuel cutoff solenoid is at fault, it will just keep running. If you have a bad oil bypass of a piston, it will run on burning engine oil.

If you eliminate the solenoid, sounds like it could be a more major repair.

paul

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #4  
You also could've sucked one of these into the intake. Seen it a hundred times.

Attachments

• keepgoing.jpg
    keepgoing.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 814
   / BX 24 engine continues runnig #5  
DiezNutz said:
You also could've sucked one of these into the intake. Seen it a hundred times.

LOL. DiezNutz you've got too much time on you hands. Funny!

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #6  
This reminds me of my question. What shuts a diesel engine off since there's no ignition? From how quickly it shuts down (for those who aren't Pkelly :p), I figured it's not just cutting off the fuel.

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #7  
depends on the diesel, most just engage the fuel shut off solenoid at the injection pump and its done

now dont read into that to far, some may want to expand on that more but in the end thats all its doing.

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #8  
That's pretty much it. Because you're cutting the fuel off at the pump, there isn't any available to build pressure in the the lines and open the injector nozzles. Changes in pressure propagate nearly instantaneously; the actual fuel in the lines doesn't have to "run out". That's all the magic there is to it.

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #9  
I'd be willing to bet that it's a loose fuse. The same thing happened to me about 200 hours ago.

/ BX 24 engine continues runnig #10  
I had the same issue when the - connection on my battery fell off.