BX 25 Block Heater revisited....

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #21  
I don't know squat about the BX tractors, but I can say that the block heater I installed in my B8200 works great. Takes about 20 minutes, more doesn't hurt, but the engine fires right up. I use 5-40W synthetic oil, which helps too. I would think the lessened wear and tear of a "warmer" block when starting is well worth the trouble. The heater draws around 350 W, I think. They look like well built devices, which will last. (made in Canada)
I use a battery tender whenever I don't expect to be running the tractor for a while, since I only use it for snow removal, and the occasional log that needs pulling, in the winter.

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #22  
I cannot say that the above will not work in a BX-25. I can say that part #: 70000-00771 will. I used mine again today. There are two freeze plugs on the left side of the block in front of the injection pump. The instructions say to put it in the forward one, which I did. I used high strength loctite and have had no leaks. I cleaned the hole and the heater well, made sure the hole stayed dry of creeping coolant, cleaned both parts with acetone, put the loctite on the heater and carefully drove it in. The directions for the heater say to use a 1" socket over the end while driving. I made a simple tool instead to help insure alignment so that I would not have it cocked in the hole when starting. I used a 1 lb. "deadblow" hammer and was careful about not hitting the heater any harder than I needed to. As far as I know..., I did not crack the block.:D

Hmm.. Instructions say put it in the front one....... I just checked my BX25D as this is the second time I have came across this. The dealer installed my block heater in the rear frost plug hole, (closest to the injection system). I don't have the installation instructions but the dealer installed it and will be responsible for warranty on it.. We're they wrong? Should this be changed to the front instead?

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #23  
Hmm.. Instructions say put it in the front one....... I just checked my BX25D as this is the second time I have came across this. The dealer installed my block heater in the rear frost plug hole, (closest to the injection system). I don't have the installation instructions but the dealer installed it and will be responsible for warranty on it.. We're they wrong? Should this be changed to the front instead?

not that it likely matters, but this is quite an old thread.

here is the instruction sheet, if you are using part no. 70000-00771

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...k-heater-install-70000-00771-block-heater-pdf

note that installation location differs depending upon engine, but if you have D902 the instructions clearly call for use of the forward freeze plug.

my *guess* was that the heater goes into the forward plug because of clearance in the block. for instance i noticed that in the forward plug the pins have to be oriented vertically in order for the element to clear when driven in. installing the heater in the forward plug with horizontal orientation would likely damage the element or not allow the heater to fully seat. maybe stupid questions, but does your block heater work? is it fully seated in the block?

might make sense to confirm that part number of your heater and if the install isn't according to the instructions, simply ask the dealer what's up.

my install:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/307282-bx25-d902-block-heater-install.html

Last edited:
   / BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #24  
Thanks for the help, confirmed, mine was incorrectly installed. I talked with my sales associate earlier this week, he was great about the situation and is going to take care of it for me. He looked at the other BX tractors on the lot, all done correctly. the shop made a mistake on mine only... Mine is stored in heated shop so the block heater may never get used, but I'm glad its being addressed. The sales associate is a good friend, so embarrasing situation for the both of us. I'm not overly happy about it, don't like the thought that the dealership mechanics may not be taking the time to follow manufacturer's instructions.. I always do my own work on everything, guess I'll learn diesel tractors and continue in my ways:cool:

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #25  
I got a magnetic 200 watt block heater from AMAZON. Stick it to the oil pan. Works great.

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #26  
I got a magnetic 200 watt block heater from AMAZON. Stick it to the oil pan. Works great.

The inline block heater is 400 watts. Heats the antifreeze then then block, oil, etc. Heats inside first.

The 200 watt stick-on has to heat the whole block then antifreeze or oil,etc. Heats outside in. Can and will work given enough time, and no wind variables.

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #27  
The inline block heater is 400 watts. Heats the antifreeze then then block, oil, etc. Heats inside first. The 200 watt stick-on has to heat the whole block then antifreeze or oil,etc. Heats outside in. Can and will work given enough time, and no wind variables.

All I do is stick the heater on the pan, heats the oil. That's all it takes to make my tractor easy to start. A lot easier on a cold engine to have warm oil. As far as heating the coolant, thats what antifreeze is for.

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #28  
All I do is stick the heater on the pan, heats the oil. That's all it takes to make my tractor easy to start. A lot easier on a cold engine to have warm oil. As far as heating the coolant, thats what antifreeze is for.

ru499, can you elaborate on the heater you use?
Is it a KAT's heaters as found HERE?

/ BX 25 Block Heater revisited.... #29  
Kat's 1153 Handi-Heat 200 Watt Magnetic Heater