Traction BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
It is very unhandy to engage that little pedal with your heel when doing other things to increase traction. You engage it to get more traction and just as you get moving it drops out, then you are fumbling around trying to get it engaged again. It gets very distressing when you are on a hill and need to engage the Differential Lock (DL) when you are trying to maintain the traction you have. So, Questions:

What is the engineering rational to not have a solenoid or a pull rod or cable to engage the DL?

Why do tractor's not have a positraction rear axle like trucks?

Have any of you out there figured out a better solution to the heel DL small pedal?

Ron

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #2  
I'm not really doing anything with my left foot so it's not a problem for me.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #3  
Ive been known to ride it when I need the locked axle.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #4  
I found the pedal to be a pain to engage when you have a big foot like me and you are wearing a big winter boot.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #5  
Ive been known to ride it when I need the locked axle.

+1 here - If I need the differential locked in a situation, then I keep it locked until I'm clear, then I make sure I just drive straight for a bit to allow it to unlock. Actually, that's always been the way I thought they were supposed to used.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #6  
+1 here - If I need the differential locked in a situation, then I keep it locked until I'm clear, then I make sure I just drive straight for a bit to allow it to unlock. Actually, that's always been the way I thought they were supposed to used.

Same here. I know it is a little awkward but it is good that it is out of the way when you don't need it.

As far as why they are not "automatic", I don't have a good answer. The 200HP+ Deeres I have operated also have a diff lock pedal in the floorboard... I don't remember ever having to use it though.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #7  
It is very unhandy to engage that little pedal with your heel when doing other things to increase traction. You engage it to get more traction and just as you get moving it drops out, then you are fumbling around trying to get it engaged again. It gets very distressing when you are on a hill and need to engage the Differential Lock (DL) when you are trying to maintain the traction you have. So, Questions:

What is the engineering rational to not have a solenoid or a pull rod or cable to engage the DL?

Why do tractor's not have a positraction rear axle like trucks?

Have any of you out there figured out a better solution to the heel DL small pedal?

Ron

Seabee,

The dif lock pedal is spring loaded. If you do not keep pressure on the pedal it WILL disengage. It is meant to do that to prevent damage to the dif and to prevent the inside tire on a tight turn from tearing up the ground. Operator manual and dealer both say that you must keep pressure on pedal for dif lock to remain engaged. For me it is not a problem. It is SLIGHTLY unhandy to get my foot on it, but once there it works just fine. The dif lock has pulled me out of trouble SEVERAL times. It would be nice to have it engage with an electric solenoid, but I'm just too cheep to buy what it would take to do it. :2cents:

Dave

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #8  
I find that I really dont need to use the dl often. when I do , I am just glad the pedal is there so I dont feel push cable or anything else is needed. I can understand that for some people its awkward, but I think its done on purpose. I dont think you really want a small tractor to be accidentally left on as its a lightweight tractor and turning on hard surface like a blacktop/concrete can be disastrous. TO me - with the metals on hst is on the minimal side it can snap under stress like dl locked on on dry pavement turning alot.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #9  
I'm like Pepsi and radio.....that is, I just use it when I'm stuck and one wheel is spinning. And it has never failed me in that situation. I'm also glad that it automatically releases when I'm unstuck. With over 650 hours on two small Kubotas, there has been no breakage.

/ BX 25 Differential Lock Pedal #10  
You need to keep your foot on the lock pedal until you are clear of the trouble spot. I am not ever doing anything else with my left heel in those cases, so it's never been a problem for me. And BTW, make sure you engage it when stopped and wheels are not rotating, then disengage similarly. It's not meant to be kicked in when the wheels are rotating/spinning.

As for not having posi-traction, it's likely a cost and packaging issue, and not justified for a small low-speed tractor.