BX BH Thumb worth it?

/ BX BH Thumb worth it?
If I were using forks to do real work more often than that I think I'd get a bigger tractor.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I have just shy of two acres so I will probably never do "real" work but I putz around in the yard a lot and I like tractors so I have a big boy tonka truck. But I still like that my pallet forks only stick 6' infront of my front wheels rather than 7+', makes it a lot easier to make the hard 90 off my drive way and through the gate to the yard. For me size maters so I'm fine with splitting up pallets of this or that but I'm also a fan of pallets because I could get 9+ landscape trees on one and move them and maybe none in a bucket, I can stack heavier stuff on the racks in the garage (like 3 point implements not in use).

They are expensive not going to argue but as a system I think I'm okay with the price I got it for...now tonight I need to disassemble it and weigh it on the fish scale and see if it's really pushing 250#.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #62  
Oh I see your point as well but I have a lot of stuff I don't use every day that I still enjoy having around just for the convenience. By the way. Those forks are dropped shipped by Northern and they will not ship them to Canada. They are shipped via factory direct. Northern takes no prisoners when it comes to shipping prices across the border. Something else for Canadian customers to consider.

Too bad about the shipping issue.

I am not one to criticize anyone else for owning too many implements. I have forks, grapple, QA, QA 3PT adapter, tree boom etc etc. My point is just that it makes sense sometimes to have a less than perfect implement for a job that isn't frequent or that you don't depend on for your livelihood. I own lots of Harbor Freight compromise tools because it makes more sense than having far fewer professional quality tools for the same bucks. I'd hazard a guess that someone with a BX would have a more useful set of tools if they invested $1000 in a set of clamp on forks plus a bucket grapple and hydraulics than if they used that same money to just get the QA based fork system we have been discussing. Everyone's individual needs will vary and my point is simply to consider the most cost effective way of getting work done rather than simply buying what Kubota or the dealer wants you to buy.

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #63  
I just got a call from my dealer , my thumb is In, they just need to come out and install it! I'll post some pics. While clearing we found a lot of boulders that will need to be moved....I can hardly wait. Wait there must be something wrong with me ...looking forward to work?

/ BX BH Thumb worth it?
Wait there must be something wrong with me ...looking forward to work?

I have the same condition, it's supposed to be raining tomorrow so my work plans are shot:thumbdown:very bummed:mur:

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #65  
...now tonight I need to disassemble it and weigh it on the fish scale and see if it's really pushing 250#.

sea2summit - did you get a chance to weigh up your forks? Just looking for another data point (in addition to vanb's) on the weight of the Kubota forks with the frame to compare it to the EA version. Just looking at pic's of it, it doesn't strike me as weighing 250 lbs, but that's what vanb's total to. Thanks

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #66  
image-64809147.jpg

image-3049024828.jpg

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #67  
The carriage says it weight 90lbs. right on it. When I weighed the forks they really came in at 81lbs. each. I also needed to order the large center pin from my dealer to put on my bucket( one came on the fork carriage, not sure if another one should have come with the QA). The forks came in 2 days, the pin ( pin 3) took a month and was on back order.
In response to some posters that think that it's too expensive, all I can say is "the heart wants what it wants" :)

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #68  
Man I sure wish I had those forks this morning. Next week I'll have mine :thumbsup:

c395fb73d681802acee1545ac47ce8d7_zpsef421fbc.jpg

/ BX BH Thumb worth it?
sea2summit - did you get a chance to weigh up your forks? Just looking for another data point (in addition to vanb's) on the weight of the Kubota forks with the frame to compare it to the EA version. Just looking at pic's of it, it doesn't strike me as weighing 250 lbs, but that's what vanb's total to. Thanks

Sorry got bussy and the weather has been crap and my little garage isn't condusive to moving some of that stuff around without pulling one of the toys out first. Looks like vanb had the info. They don't feel heavy up there too me and I put a big stump on it and they lifted it so weight I don't have issues. I do know they are built like a tank, you can lift the front of the tractor up on just the forks no problem.

Man I sure wish I had those forks this morning. Next week I'll have mine :thumbsup:

Shorts they would have been perfect for that little project. Also 4shorts, I'm about to drill my first holes in my ROPS to mount a chainsaw any tips or stuff I need to know?

I'm having a dickens of a time trying to find some light plastic pallets around here to start some of my projects on and put some of my unused stuff on to ease storage/movement. Anyone have a good source in the greater Tacoma/Olympia area?

/ BX BH Thumb worth it? #70