BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!!

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #1  

woodstock

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2200
BX HST Pedal Recall Didn\'t Take!!

I had my BX in for various service /warranty repairs, recall work. One Item was the sticky HST pedal problem which called for a grease nipple to allow lubrication to eliminate the seezing problem.
Well when I got it back, 4 weeks ago, there was the nipple including a blob of grease on it. I hate when they leave grease on the nipples nevern mind a blob. Well everything seem fine until yesterday, it seemed to be getting stiff again.
I thought, No problem, use your new air power grease gun and squeak some grease into that puppy.
Well, I pumped and I pumped and I pumped and no grease was comming out. The gun was working because I just used it an hour ago on the lowly wheel barrow, its getting a good rest in the corner. Well, I tried to unplug the gun. No luck, I pulled like hell and then some and it finally came off including a blob of grease about the same size as the original blow. I plugged the gun in again and pulled it off no problem. Plugged it in again pumped several times and the same thing. no grease and wouldn't come off without a war.
Now I am guess, but it would seem the grease nipple isn't working.
Did the recall replace the pedal or just add the nipple?
Any guesses?
Anyone tried greasing their recalled HST pedal?

<font color=red>Winnipeg, Manitoba</font color=red>
pamela-2.gif

<font color=blue> Rest in Peace Pamela 2</font color=blue><font color=purple>
2001 BX2200 (71 hrs)

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #2  
Re: BX HST Pedal Recall Didn\'t Take!!

Wood,I've had our BX in for the Hydro Pedal "fix",and much like yours,it's still not right.The shaft the pedal rocks on is a hair too big.I'm going to take it apart this Winter and try to "fix"it myself.I have an old brake cylinder hone I'm going to take to the pedal and try to "open it up" a little,so the tolerance is not quite soo tight.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #3  

Stephan,

First thing I might do is to take the zirk off and inspect both it (make sure the little BB lets the grease through) and that they drilled all the way through the pedal so there's a place for the grease to go. After that, I would try to make sure there is at least some clearance between the bottom of the zirk and the shaft that the pedal rotates on. After that, then the only thing left is the tolerance between the pedal and the shaft.

The GlueGuy

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #4  

I like the hone suggestion, should work, the tolerance is too tight. As far as the "blob of grease" if mechanics don't leave the "evidence" many, many, many, times we are accused of not greasing the machine.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #5  

I can second the theory on the tolerance on the BX HST pedel pivot. I did my own grease fitting installation before there was a recall. Right away I found that it was near impossible to get any grease into the thing. I could eventually get a trace of grease to come through if I held continuous pressure while working the pedel back and forth. So I removed the pivot again and simply polished the shaft up good with some sandcloth and rolled up a piece of 120 paper and took a little out of the bronze bushing. I know this isn't as precise as a hone but it did the trick. Come to think of it I don't know if a brake hone would even fit the size of the hole, it's pretty small. Any machine shop with a pin-hone should have the right size, I've seen them as small as 1/2 inch.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #6  

Yup, that'll do it. That's what I did as well. Tolerances just to tight for grease to flow out the ends smoothly. I thinned downt the bushings at either end and it works just fine now. You'd think that Kubota with all of their engineering expertise would've figgered that one out, wouldn't you? I kinda get the impression that the field repair for this didn't go thru normal engineering channels.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #7  

I knew I loved my dealer for some reason/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif When I got my BX1800 back from having him service the HST peddle I was a little peaved to find grease oozing out around the shaft and blob around the fitting. I cleaned off the gease and checked his handy work. I was nice to find out that he must have thought to hone the bushings or whatever the tight spot was because my HST peddle allows grease to ooze right out around the shaft when the grease is pumped in.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #8  

it is so cold in canada that your grease may be to thick to squeeze into that little opening?

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #9  

I was watching one of our mechanics doing one of these and he did groove it to allow the grease to go through. It was a very tight fit without.

/ BX HST Pedal Recall Didn't Take!! #10  

Maybe Art is a good person to ask this ?:

When did the recall for this modif come out? I just bought a 2200 and I remember some mention of the recall history on it--fuel tank, etc. Wondering if this has been done on mine.

Thanks in advance, Art!

Jim