BX issues/troubles?

/ BX issues/troubles? #11  
grizzjeeper said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes this makes alot more sense now. I wish the deck and 3pt arms would raise at idle, seems I have to throttle up. I dont know why? Is this normal too?

That is normal to have to throttle up to at least half.

/ BX issues/troubles? #12  
BigD23 said:
I have a BX23 with a 54" MMM...The lever for the hyrdaulics for the deck do not automatically go back to neutral postion on this one either .

Don
My BX23 with a 60" MMM.
The lever for the hyrdaulics for the deck will automatically
return to to the neutral postion after lifting the deck.
It won't automatically return to to the neutral postion after lowering the deck so i have to manually move the lever to the neutral postion.

The BX1500 is just the opposite.
The lever for the hyrdaulics for the rear tiler will not automatically return to to the neutral postion after lifting the tiller so i have to move it to the center position by hand.
It automatically returns to to the neutral postion after lowering the tiller .

The other BX1500 works like it should.
The lever returns to neutral after lowering or lifting the 48'' mmm.

/ BX issues/troubles? #13  
grizzjeeper said:
* I wish the deck and 3pt arms would raise at idle, seems I have to throttle up. I dont know why? Is this normal too?
The faster the motor speed the quicker the implements due to the pump changing speed.
*They will on my bx23 but it is slow going.
I usually speed the engine up to 1/4 to 1/3 RPM raise the attachments to where i want them and slow the engine back down to the speed i want it at.

/ BX issues/troubles? #14  
grizzjeeper said:
. If I raise the mower deck up, the 3pt arms also raise up and if left in the up position it will make a noise until the lever is brought back to center. doesnt.
Also the front blade can't be lifted while the lever is in the up position .
I found this out the cold hard way last winter while trying to plow snow with the front blade.
When i went to back up the blade wouldn't lift and i got the tractor stuck in the snow.
Later I discovered the lever was in the up position.
Hand placed the lever in the center net. position and the blade lifted rite up.

/ BX issues/troubles? #15  
All seems normal with your machine.

But I will say on the "lever returns to neutral" thing:
Mine never goes to neutral after dropping anything, but it always went to neutral after raising things UNTIL I mis-treated my 3PH after augering my PHD into the ground...I held the lever "up" while at full throttle, rocking the tractor back and forth trying to recover my auger.

After that mishap, I noticed it would NOT return to neutral. I also noticed a bit more "whine" out of my hydraulics in any movement, even the FEL.

I had my machine serviced shortly thereafter and had all fluids changed. Everything is back to normal, no noise (more than original, anyway), and the lever goes to neutral after raising. Dealer figured I stressed or overheated the system and induced a leak out of one of the quick connects at the FEL or BH. Not sure if I buy it, but a complete hydraulic fluid change did the trick.

And the FEL and 3PH DOES work at idle, it is just slower than Aunt Edna. Almost too slow to even know anything is happening. Idle is idle...not good for much other engaging the mower deck and moving really slow around the garage. Everything else requires at least 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, depending. Real work requires 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, depending...this is where almost all your FEL work happens. Mowing and super-duty work (full FEL capacity, full BH capacity, full ground speed, and ALL mowing duties) happens at WOT.

/ BX issues/troubles? #16  
My deck will raise at idle, just very very slowly, however, I can't lift the front wheels with the loader at idle, I have to power up. Took me awhile to figure that out and get the loader off when I first got the tractor.

I think that's all normal stuff.

/ BX issues/troubles? #17  
My '01 BX2200 tph/mmm lever generaly will stay in the lower position so the deck will float. It used to stick in the raise position til I gave the linkage a shot of a magic potion called WD-40.:)

/ BX issues/troubles? #18  
My understanding of the correct operation 3pt lever on a BX2230. There are adjustment springs for the lever auto return to holding (center) position for when the arms are nearly all the way up. Mine was not adjusted when delivered and lever would stay up lifting the relief valve. Not hard to adjust but can be sensitive to get a consistent return for maximum height just before the lift tops out.
The Lift lowered the lever should stay down as this is the float position (no not talking about FEL) for the 3point, meaning if the arms are not all the way down with the implement in it's working position, and you go through a dip the implement will follow the dip up to the limit of down travel in the 3 pt and not skip over the dip as it would in the center holding position.

Lowering the 3pt simply releases fluid from the lift cylinder, there is no down force applied by the hyd system.

Edit: Actually, there is a spring on both sides of the rod. If adjusted like the manual describes then just before the arms get to the top end springs will send lever back to the middle and just before or at the bottom of travel of the 3pt arms are reached the lever will return to the middle. I went and checked. You can still leave the lever in the lower position without harm and the 3pt will float up and down (vs just up with lever in middle)

Last edited:
   / BX issues/troubles? #19  
3ph lever not returning:
Going by memory as I don't have a WSM at work.
There is a rod that runs from the lever assembly back to the right side of the HST that connects to the upper 3ph arm. The rod has two springs, one on either side of the bracket that attaches to the 3ph arm and there are two lock nuts that can be screwed in/out to adj the spring tension. This spring tension is what "returns" the 3ph lever to neutral. You can access this assembly in the gap between the top of the right rear wheel and the fender.
Your best bet is to shine a light in this area and work the 3ph lever to see how it works. You shoul dbe able to adj accordingly.

I was having this type of problem on my BX2200 until I cleaned this area of rod and springs and then lubed the rod with a spray lubricant so that the rod slides freely - worked like new afterwards.

/ BX issues/troubles? #20  
Barney is correct and there is I believe adjustment procedures in the owners manuals for the rod. There is a sliding split bolt up front on the rod for raise or lower limit (one or the other) and the two nuts on the end will get your other direction set. Loosen them from one another with a pair of wrenches then adjust the bolt towards the spring, then tighten together to snug. You may need to adjust for different attachments and the weight a little. One other thing is the hydo cylinder valve (Black Knob under the front right seat corner on the BX22) needs to be set at the speed you wish to raise and lower the 3PH. If the valve is set wrong you curtail the lift speed by restricting the hydro flow too much, and will have to run the RPM's higher to get your lift. If you have it wide open your attachments will jump to attention real quick. I don't think it controls the FEL or BH, but then maybe it does. HMMM