BX rad fin clean out

/ BX rad fin clean out #1  

automech

Silver Member
Tractor
bx1500
I was noticing higher temps on my guage when working with the tractor. At first I though it might be normal for the temp to go above the mid point, but then it started to move closer to the red line. I thought it might need a thermostat, because I cleaned the inlet grill in front of the battery, and pulled the screen in front of the rad and blew it out. Neither one was really plugged. Then I peeked behind the battery, and noticed the rad was almost completely blocked with funk. How often does this happen to a bx during cutting season? I've only had mine really for about 50 hours ( I bought it used with 100 hrs.) so I was surprised that I almost cooked it. I checked the screens every week and thought that would be enough. I don't know if it was partially clogged when I got it or what.

/ BX rad fin clean out
I was noticing higher temps on my guage when working with the tractor. At first I though it might be normal for the temp to go above the mid point, but then it started to move closer to the red line. I thought it might need a thermostat, because I cleaned the inlet grill in front of the battery, and pulled the screen in front of the rad and blew it out. Neither one was really plugged. Then I peeked behind the battery, and noticed the rad was almost completely blocked with funk. How often does this happen to a bx during cutting season? I've only had mine really for about 50 hours ( I bought it used with 100 hrs.) so I was surprised that I almost cooked it. I checked the screens every week and thought that would be enough. I don't know if it was partially clogged when I got it or what.

/ BX rad fin clean out #3  
During mowing season, I check my screen and radiator nearly every time I head out. I've seen my screen plug up in 20 minutes! It's a pain but I've learned to cut the grass before the seed pods get really dry. If things are a little damp, they don't fly around and get into the screen or behind it.

One thing though, don't remove the screen while the fan is pulling air through the radiator. That will load up the radiator with the stuff that gets sucked off the screen.. I did that. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ BX rad fin clean out #4  
During mowing season, I check my screen and radiator nearly every time I head out. I've seen my screen plug up in 20 minutes! It's a pain but I've learned to cut the grass before the seed pods get really dry. If things are a little damp, they don't fly around and get into the screen or behind it.

One thing though, don't remove the screen while the fan is pulling air through the radiator. That will load up the radiator with the stuff that gets sucked off the screen.. I did that. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ BX rad fin clean out #5  
Coincidental you posted this. I cleaned my BX yesterday (once a year, whether needed or not /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

I cleaned the battery grill and the pull-out grill. But noticed a lot of crap is getting past those grills. Blades of grass and bits of leaves in the radiator fins. I have 180 hours, only about 20 of that mowing, so I would think your condition might be pretty common if doing a lot of mowing/shredding.

I blew out the stuff as best I could with compressed air and went back to work. Hope you can do the same. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RDnT

/ BX rad fin clean out #6  
Coincidental you posted this. I cleaned my BX yesterday (once a year, whether needed or not /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

I cleaned the battery grill and the pull-out grill. But noticed a lot of crap is getting past those grills. Blades of grass and bits of leaves in the radiator fins. I have 180 hours, only about 20 of that mowing, so I would think your condition might be pretty common if doing a lot of mowing/shredding.

I blew out the stuff as best I could with compressed air and went back to work. Hope you can do the same. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RDnT