BX Series - Cold weather starting problems?

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #12  
I had a BX 1800 for 4-5 years and it was kept in a draft free unheated building. Each winter I had to start the little fellow at -4 degree Fahrenheit (-20 celcius) or sometimes lower. At that low temperature I used a block heater and magnetic oil pan heater and often put an old comforter over the hood for an hour at least. I still had to glow it 20 seconds and often turn the engine over for 20 seconds. I wouldn't turn it over longer than that for fear of damaging the starter motor. It was a rare day that it would start the first try. Finally it would kick over then die but eventually it would start. Sometimes it took five or more tries. I always let it stand a minute of two between tries to avoid starter burn out. My new B2620 is quite easy to start by comparison.

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #13  
Neil is undoubtedly correct, it is your fuel. untreated Diesel gels at cold temps. Treat it & you will be much happier. Also check fuel filters, any moisture in them will cause trouble.

Paul

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #14  
I started my 23 weeks ago and the high for the day was 18 and I started it in the am well before the peak tempature.

Just hold the key with the glow plug on for 30 to 45 seconds, as other said it will cough and sputter bit with good and treated fuel it ill start.

tom

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #15  
Thanks to all who have responded with timely comments - that's much appreciated.

Can some of you share details about your cold weather starting experiences. For example, what is the coldest temperature at which you are able to start your BX easily? Conversely, what is the coldest temperature at which you actually experienced a problem starting you BX?
BX1500. Well over a thousand hrs. Never a starting problem even at 0F, but it wouldnt fire at all if I didnt use the glow plugs. I virtually never use fuel treatment. It will start with a fuel filter so clogged that it wont continue running. Are you sure his glow plugs work? Did he add fuel just before he drove it to its parking place? The latter could have filled the filter with water if the stuff he poured in was contaminated. Are diesel fumes coming out the pipe when cranking? If so its glow plugs. If not its water or jelling.
larry

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #16  
Okay - any suggestions for tihs?

Started up my B7800 just fine this morning, about 2 degreesF outside. No block heater. Ran for about 10 minutes, then coughed and sputtered and died. It will now turn over weakly whenI start up, but won't continue running. So I assume a fuel starvation issue. About 1/3 of a tank of fuel.

THe tractor is now at a location with no electrical power access so I can't plug in a heater... Am I stuck til spring?? :) I didn't put any fuel additice in the tank.

Help!

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #17  
Okay - any suggestions for tihs?

Started up my B7800 just fine this morning, about 2 degreesF outside. No block heater. Ran for about 10 minutes, then coughed and sputtered and died. It will now turn over weakly whenI start up, but won't continue running. So I assume a fuel starvation issue. About 1/3 of a tank of fuel.

THe tractor is now at a location with no electrical power access so I can't plug in a heater... Am I stuck til spring?? :) I didn't put any fuel additice in the tank.

Help!
Siphon the tank into a good container. Add Power Service or some such additive and shake. Put it in a warm area while you change the fuel filter. Give it some more shaking and put it back in. It will be fine.
larry

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #18  
Keep those glow plugs glowing a little longer.. otherwise it's gelled fuel.

I'd like to see Kubota put a timer in there like they have on the bigger tractors.

PS.. from your username.. I'd take it you are an audiophile?

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #19  
Thanks for the reply.

Just went into town and bought a few more gallons of fresh diesel. It's curently being heated (slightly) in the mud room. I'll add some Power service 911 'for winter emergencies'. I'm thinking that if I can just warm up the little fuel that is in the tank now, it might do the trick. If not, I can siphon and clean the filter...

Thanks for the responses.

Jibber, not too much of an audiophile but greatly enjoy music. 'Snoho3' comes from my hometown, Snohomish, and the fact that there are three of us in the house...

Best to all, and happy holidays.

Snoho3

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #20  
lp333,

I have a BX22 and a couple weeks ago I got it back from the shop for a seal replacement and it was around -10. I tried several times to get it started after glowing for 20-30 seconds. It would fire a couple times and die. Did this a number of times..

The way I eventually got it started was by glowing 20-30 seconds, crank the engine until it fired, then just backed off the key to the glow position until the engine got some rpms on it, then released it to the run position. Made the usual cold start clatter, but a second later it smoothed out.

I did, and do treat the fuel though. If your neighbor treats the fuel, try the above. Just don't hold the glow on too long after it's starts to avoid burning out the glow plug.

Jeff