BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time.

/ BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time. #11  
Our local airport is in the line of sight from home so this video shows me using the BX and also shows equipment clearing snow at the airport at the same time.

Torbay ???

/ BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time.
Torbay ???

The zoomed view shows the airport now known as St. John's International Airport but years ago and during the war it was usually called Torbay airport. Lots of US and Canadian airforce activity then. Still have US military showing up most days.

/ BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time. #13  
The zoomed view shows the airport now known as St. John's International Airport but years ago and during the war it was usually called Torbay airport. Lots of US and Canadian airforce activity then. Still have US military showing up most days.

I was US Navy pilot based at Argentia 1965-66.
Did many practice approaches at both Torbay and Gander.
The VOR-DME navigational aid located there is still named Torbay.
Loved my time on the Avalon peninsula.

/ BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time. #14  
Yup, like everybody else the runways are 150 feet wide and 6,000+ feet long to allow for the 737's and to have more length for braking with the thrust reversers. They have to do all this extra work on the taxi aprons and approaches to the opposing runway entrances, runway exits, terminal aprons and cross runway access lanes.

The loader plows are 15 feet wide and they push everything into a single windrow on the runways and then the blower takes over UNLESS the snow is so deep it requires them to make passes with the snow blower truck..

It still amazes me that snowgo, larue and oshkosh are not using Beilhack snow clearing heads so they can clear off 22,000+ tons per hour being 367 tons per minute in one pass BUT I guess they have no interest in making three engine machines.

"Yup, like everybody else the runways are 150 feet wide and 6000+ feet long..........."

Nope!
Not so!
Most major airport runways are 200 feet wide,.... though the airport at St. John's would likely not be considered a major airport, as Gander is.

If you check it out you will find that at St. John's Intl. R/W 11-29 is 200 feet wide, and R/W 16-34 is also 200 feet wide.

/ BX snow clearing and airport snow clearing at the same time.
I was US Navy pilot based at Argentia 1965-66.
Did many practice approaches at both Torbay and Gander.
The VOR-DME navigational aid located there is still named Torbay.
Loved my time on the Avalon peninsula.

Newfoundland has had a great connection with the US military. I grew up just across across Quivi Vidi Lake from Fort Pepperrell (a US military base that was located here in St. John's). Had a ball scavenging through the gold mine of electronics gear they left behind :)