BX starting rough

/ BX starting rough #1  

poldies4

Silver Member
Tractor
B 2320
Since the cold, my still shiny BX 1860 starts rough. Smoke, trying to fire, then it sputters and fires up. I've let the glow plug go from a slow 25 count to a slow 55 count, no real difference. I haven't been using it that much lately, the last time I put diesel in it was probably a few month ago. It is finally ready for a top off. Is it likely the old fuel? Or should I count longer slower with the glow plug on? I've altered my timing with the glow plug, as well as had to start in 15 degrees, as well as 50 degrees with no real difference. Any advice is appreciated.

/ BX starting rough #2  
Does it make any difference what throttle setting you use?

/ BX starting rough #3  
Hey poldies,

This isn't normal. Two series of 10 seconds is likely enough glow plug time, until it gets to 10 below, then add another 10 second round.

Check the normal stuff. Air filter clean?
Yes, new, fresh fuel from a busy fuel station, a splash of diesel treatment to prevent any waxing issues and you SHOULD be good to go. I'd crack the throttle to 1/3 open before starting as TripleR suggested.

Wouldn't hurt to put new fuel filters on, as they aren't expensive, if you've tried everything else.

Let us know if you end up taking this back for warranty service.

/ BX starting rough #4  
Since the cold, my still shiny BX 1860 starts rough. Smoke, trying to fire, then it sputters and fires up. I've let the glow plug go from a slow 25 count to a slow 55 count, no real difference. I haven't been using it that much lately, the last time I put diesel in it was probably a few month ago. It is finally ready for a top off. Is it likely the old fuel? Or should I count longer slower with the glow plug on? I've altered my timing with the glow plug, as well as had to start in 15 degrees, as well as 50 degrees with no real difference. Any advice is appreciated.

We had this happen with our BX2200. After a while, I figured out that I was waiting just a split-second (seriously, just a hair of a second) too long before turning the engine over - I count slowly to 30, then bam, turn the key, and it starts rough (in single digits) and smooths out in about 20 seconds.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

/ BX starting rough #5  
I keep my BX in my heated shop (at 55-60f). It starts rough then... or it just sounds rough because we're not used to these little diesel motors. It's normal. Big puff of smoke,, a little roughness then it smooths right out.

/ BX starting rough #6  
sounds like you might have summer fuel that is giving you issues. have you treated it at all for winter ? is tractor stored outside ? do you have a heater plug for your BX? When you top off, be sure you get the fuel from a busy diesel station so you know it has winter blend in it. I wouldn't trust the store clerk as they give you a headlight deer stare.

I dont have a heater plug and its stored in a garage but no heat. My BX starts rough for a half a min and smooths out after it warms up. I only cycle glow plugs once a little over 10-30 secs and start. Due to the nature of a small diesel displacement engine, its bound to run rough when cold and screams when rpms is bumped up.

/ BX starting rough #7  
You may have a glow plug that is weak or dead.

/ BX starting rough #8  
We had this happen with our BX2200. After a while, I figured out that I was waiting just a split-second (seriously, just a hair of a second) too long before turning the engine over - I count slowly to 30, then bam, turn the key, and it starts rough (in single digits) and smooths out in about 20 seconds.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
I have a 1500 so maybe not the same, but when I hold the partial key turn glo plug position I hear a relay cycling power to the GPs. It seems to be about 2s ON 2s OFF. Starting immediately after the second ON cycle works good.
larry

/ BX starting rough #9  
Depending on how cold it is, I think it's normal. I don't have a BX, but my M5040 acted just like that at ten degrees...until I plugged in the heater for it. Next time, it started like it was summer. Likewise my skid steer acted the same way.

Just give the hydro fluid more time to warm up before you make it do any hard work.

Ken

/ BX starting rough #10  
I'm using fuel bought in early fall and starting BX24 @ 28 degrees yesterday with 10 - 12sec. cycle glow on to immediate turn key to start, slight black exhaust but good start. I set my throttle lever so that it goes to 1600 rpm on start. I let it idle @ 1600 - 1700 till temp needle moves off of stop and then just transport, no work till full temp guage. You can tell hydros cold.

Seems more like a glow plug issue. Not sure thats its summer fuel since I'm not using winter blend if theres such a thing in NC.