bx takes off down hill.

/ bx takes off down hill. #1  

copperhead1967

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota BX22, Cub ZForce S 48 inch deck
Had a scare yesterday evening. I was taking a half dozen cinderblocks down a hill in the loader. About halfway down the BX started rolling faster, then racing, down to the bottom of the slope. Luckily I was going straight down and not across the slope. I was in two wheel drive and in gear. My first thought was I slipped into nuetral but i was still in Low gear.
I tried to duplicate the ride on the way back up the hill but the Hydro held the tractor pretty much in place with just a slight amount of back drift. Any ideas why this would happen? I was in 4 wd when I came back up the slope. I've had lawn tractors take off on some steeper slopes if the drive belt is a little worn, but never the BX. The hydro pretty usually holds it where its at.

/ bx takes off down hill. #2  
copperhead1967 said:
I was taking a half dozen cinderblocks down a hill in the loader. About halfway down the BX started rolling faster, then racing, down to the bottom of the slope. Any ideas why this would happen?

You don't mention counter weight, I assume that the rear wheels lost traction from your description,

/ bx takes off down hill. #3  
Were you on wet grass? What happened when you applied the brakes?

/ bx takes off down hill. #4  
Wheww, that was a thrill wasn't it!? I wouldn't think that 6 concrete blocks woudl tip you forward off the back wheels, but, going downhill might have been enough to throw off the balance of weight. Whenever I feel I'm pushing my luck on weight in the FEL, I hook up my boxblade. That adds another 300lbs to my rear. I have managed to get my Cub Cadet 7260 to bouncing before with bad weight distribution. That was a different experience! I have also slipped down a muddy hill, stomping on the brakes and swearing all the way! :) The 4WD just didnt' get a chance to bite into the mud. Myself, I wouldnt be too anxious to reproduce the experience.

/ bx takes off down hill. #5  
You did not say if you were in 4x4 or not. I find mine does it in 2x4 but if it is in 4x4 it does not do it.

/ bx takes off down hill. #6  
I'd guess your rears were slipping. When ever I have weight in the FEL I use the 4WD since the rear is so light. This gives you front traction and front dynamic braking as well.

/ bx takes off down hill. #7  
COPPERHEAD 1967,
My property is also very hilly.I [as a habit from forklift training at work]usually go backwards down grade and forward up hill.I also keep my foot heavy on the hydro pedal[ i never use the brake],thus the tranny kind of stays engaged,at least i think so.Without the differential locked in ,one tire engaged could easily lose traction,making you gain speed.Glad your ok.
ALAN

/ bx takes off down hill. #8  
Copperhead

I also live on one of those western PA hillsides. On several occasions I have lost rear wheel traction with the bucket loaded, headed down hill and 2WD. It is scarey to say the least and your brakes have no effect. The only way to stop is to drop the bucket. Ballast helps along with my 230 pound rear in the seat but it can still break free. 4WD is the best bet in this situation. I have never lost traction while in 4WD.

JOhn

Attachments

• Ballast box and dolly.jpg
    Ballast box and dolly.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 479
   / bx takes off down hill. #9  
Copperhead....I think Escavader is right on your "happening" . Keep your foot on the the hydrastatic petal no matter how bad you want to hit the brakes keep the oil flowing in the forward direction. I mow up and down 30 degree banks with my BX2230 (MMM) and the secret is to creep the petal in the forward direction because it is in the direction of your load moment. The second you hit your brake ( which is the natural response under the circumstance ) the skids start because gravity will over come your tires tread ability to resist momentum. Works for me and one addition, counter-weight has little to do with gradeability. Simple physics and it's phenomenon is what you experienced.

/ bx takes off down hill. #10  
I have had this happen to me a couple times while mowing, it is a very uneasy feeling, it reminds me to put my seat belt on and put it in 4 wheel drive.