BX Tie-Rod boot ripped

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #31  
sodo, sorry sir no time to even work on it, things bad right now, all i can say is the part no. is right from bota and bought at messicks off the same diagram.
anthonyv, good deal there too and cheaper. good to know,thanks.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #32  
I bought the K1253-01660 parts for my BX24 from Messicks and installed them today. They are the correct parts and fit perfectly. My boots have been gone since I brush hogged my field this spring and I like to keep things in good shape but the idea of replacing the whole joint just to fix the boot didn't sit well with me. They were relatively easy to replace with the hardest part getting the retaining wire around the boot after getting the boot in place.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #33  
I figure I would have spent upwards of $1000 in time and parts keeping my BX in boots over the yrs. Instead, I saved both and did more work with the tractor.
Its still functioning as well as ever.
larry

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #34  
Lost the boots on my L5030 almost 1500 hours ago, joints still in good shape. Parked outside 100% of time. Do more damage replacing them all the time than letting the joint be exposed to weather.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #35  
Cheap soft rubber, poor design! It should have a hard (metal) shield with the joints in such an exposed spot. ATV`s do for CV joints. I think maybe a 1/2 piece
of 1" conduit clamped over boot would shield it.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped
This is caused by driving thru sticks and bushes.

**Any shield** could pretty much eliminate the problem, even a bicycle inner tube over it. From the "HOW-TO" below you can see how easy it is to add a bicycle innertube over the existing boot. Electrical conduit would work too, but design that if it gets bent (jammed into the boot) that it doesn't rip the boot itself.

Here is a link to a HOW-TO for replacing torn tie-rod boots. It's a fairly easy job, the most difficult part is putting on the spring clamps without ripping the boot. Might be prudent to use zip-ties, and not pulled so tight, to allow the boot to slide off, (instead of rip) if it is being hassled by a stick. I think the spring clamps (if you don't rip the boot during installation) are detrimental to these boots. I sold my BX (with new boots) but if I was keeping it, i think I'd remove the spring clamps and replace with zipties, and not real tight.

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #37  
My Redneck Boot Cover

Boot Cover by Camo Kubota.jpg

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #39  
Hey Rich bx, what happened with the boots, do they fit?
Sorry Sodo-
I haven't been in this board in a while and even worst, I bought those boots, but haven't got around to installing them :(

/ BX Tie-Rod boot ripped #40  
OK maybe sorta hijacking, (and I did post in another thread about a week ago), but has ANYONE checked the rubber boot on the input shaft of your hydrostatic pump (by the fan)? In addition to my tie rod end boots being rotten, I was under the tractor (BX1870) for the first time last week and noticed that the boot on the driveshaft is rotten as well. BTW I purchased this tractor new in August 13. My dealer said to bring it over, they'd replace 'em...
So, later in the month or the first part of July, when things have slowed down a bit (at dealer), we'll see....
Thanks