Comparison BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #1  

jocola

Tractor
Ford 8N, JD lawn tractor
Lots of great information on this site - thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm now hoping to harness the wisdom of the crowd to help with my decision. I've narrowed my next tractor down to the following three models:

Massey Ferguson's GC1715:
Massey Ferguson - GC 1700 Series

Kubota's BX 2670-1
https://www.kubota.com/product/bx70/bx70.aspx

LS Tractor's j2023h
J2023H « LS Tractor USA

I assume each of these are solid machines, so I don't expect anyone to tell me which is "the best," but rather I'm hoping those of you out there who have compared these models yourself can share what you think are the pros and cons. We're on about 9 acres in Pennsylvania, half pasture, some garden, a little bit of woods and the rest lawn.

If there's a single most important factor for me it's the performance and reliability of the MMM, as the main task will be mowing 1-2 acres per week and a 4-acre field several times a year. I'll also be getting a FEL and rear blade for grading a gravel drive and brush hog or flail mower for the field, potentially renting a tiller.

The only real negatives I've read are that the BX's HST cooling fan is somewhat vulnerable, and that none of them have rear position control on the 3ph. Of course some people think the size overall is too small, but four our property, this class of tractor fits with the "80/20" rule.

So, I guess I will leave it there - and ask if anyone has any strong feelings either way about these machines. The dealers are all within about an hour's drive, so no clear winner there.

Thanks for your help.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #2  
I think any of them will be fine... the BX HST fan can be easily protected with an aftermarket shield. Look at Bro-Tek or BXpanded products. Might want to consider what dealerships are close for support. I am amazed at what my BX can do and can speak highly of it. I would have thought it too small to really do much but I found that to be totally wrong. 9 acres though is significantly more than what I have to deal with... others will chime in. Good luck.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #3  
I think you are right -- all of these tractors are good units, and the "quality" issue isn't a major driver across the major brands. All will have a lemon or two every now and then, but all also have their strong advocates.

For me, it came down to features that I wanted... specifically:

- Split brake pedals for the left/right
- Position control instead of a quarter-inching valve
- A quick attach mid-mount mower with drive-over (not enough room in the garage for side-loading units)
- Full category 1 hitch versus "limited Cat 1" so that I could still use a "tall" implement like a post hole digger
- The "feel" of the cockpit and controls when I was test driving them

Other things like hydraulic GPM flow and FEL break-out force were obviously different across the machines I looked at as well, but these weren't the MUST-HAVE differences that I based my decision on. For me, the Deere 2320 won out on the must-have features, so that's what I went with. But I would have probably been happy with the quality and performance of any of the others that I looked at as well -- just some didn't have my "must have" list above.

I think you should make your "must have" list based on how YOU are going to use the tractor, and then compare across the tractors. You won't go "wrong" with any of the ones you mentioned above, I don't think, from a quality, durability and capability standpoint.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #4  
I can only speak to the BX. Love it. Works well beyond its design capacity.
As to the HST fan shield. You can get one or make one. simple design and worth it if working brushy stuff.

My MMM is 12yrs old now and no issues. Same belt same sheaves same blades. No issues with spindles either. It is the RCK60-BX22

All the machines you mention seem to have a good track record. Dealer is important.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #5  
The LS is a bigger tractor with I believe a stronger loader. The Bota, I believe, is the lightest.

If mowing is your main use, I would go for the lightest machine so it doesn't rut your yard. If loader work and grading is your main use, I'd want the heaviest unit. If you want the best looking of the three, I'd go with the Massey (LOL I'm partial to MF red).

But in full disclosure, I'd recommend a zero turn for the mowing instead of a tractor.

All good machines, personal preference will probably make the decision for you.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #6  
If there's a single most important factor for me it's the performance and reliability of the MMM, as the main task will be mowing 1-2 acres per week and a 4-acre field several times a year.

If this is the case, the Kubota will be the standout given they build their mower and performance match it to the tractor. The lift heights, etc are much better than what's typical.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs
If this is the case, the Kubota will be the standout given they build their mower and performance match it to the tractor. The lift heights, etc are much better than what's typical.

Good point - I hadn't thought of the fact that Kubota has the whole dedicated lawn mowing division knowledge to draw upon.

Mowing equipment has to be built to high specs to be good.

Do you know if Massey Ferguson also cross-pollinates between its residential mowers and mowers that run off of mid-mount PTOs?

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #8  
Lots of great information on this site - thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm now hoping to harness the wisdom of the crowd to help with my decision. I've narrowed my next tractor down to the following three models:

Massey Ferguson's GC1715:
Massey Ferguson - GC 1700 Series

Kubota's BX 2670-1
https://www.kubota.com/product/bx70/bx70.aspx

LS Tractor's j2023h
J2023H ォ LS Tractor USA

I assume each of these are solid machines, so I don't expect anyone to tell me which is "the best," but rather I'm hoping those of you out there who have compared these models yourself can share what you think are the pros and cons. We're on about 9 acres in Pennsylvania, half pasture, some garden, a little bit of woods and the rest lawn.

If there's a single most important factor for me it's the performance and reliability of the MMM, as the main task will be mowing 1-2 acres per week and a 4-acre field several times a year. I'll also be getting a FEL and rear blade for grading a gravel drive and brush hog or flail mower for the field, potentially renting a tiller.

The only real negatives I've read are that the BX's HST cooling fan is somewhat vulnerable, and that none of them have rear position control on the 3ph. Of course some people think the size overall is too small, but four our property, this class of tractor fits with the "80/20" rule.

So, I guess I will leave it there - and ask if anyone has any strong feelings either way about these machines. The dealers are all within about an hour's drive, so no clear winner there.

Thanks for your help.

First off-I test drove all the competitors including Mahindra and it came down to the GC2410 for me. the others just looked like and felt like toys to me. It was the test drive, then specs that drove me to my purchase. The GC1700 series is even better than its predessesor (mine). I have doen sooo much work with this tractor using box blades, BH and loader and it has done them all extremely well. It has the heart of a ful size tractor and the duty cycle to compete with them. Very easy and inexpensive to maintain. My next optin would be the Mahindra MAX.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #9  
Good point - I hadn't thought of the fact that Kubota has the whole dedicated lawn mowing division knowledge to draw upon.

Mowing equipment has to be built to high specs to be good.

Do you know if Massey Ferguson also cross-pollinates between its residential mowers and mowers that run off of mid-mount PTOs?

Not sure what your looking for but masseylawn.com might have it.

/ BX vs GC vs LS J-series SCUTs #10  
I looked around about 4 years ago and bought the GC2400 and love it. It mows great, I do about 3.5 ac a week with over 60 trees to mow around. I am hoping to get a new tractor this year. It will be a GC1710 or GC1720 so I have a backhoe. If I did not want a backhoe I would keep the GC2400.
I also bush hog a steep hill and push snow with the front mount blade dig post holes, dig dirt with the loader ect.