BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #11  
Tractor lives in a garage. I've tried to install both the heaters you recommend but they were pretty much impossible to get on the BX1500. Really wish I could though.
The heaters that splice into the radiator hose are the best I think. The warm water circulating catches everything of interest except the fuel lines. You need the 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 fuel of course. The radiator hose type heaters normally go in the lower hose but surely can be installed in the top hose which I think would be accessible in your BX1500. Have to make sure the thermostat is open somehow.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #12  
Get the John Deer Plus 50 0w40. Craig Taylor has it in stock at a decent price. I went from a factory fill 15w40 to T6 5w40 last winter which made a huge difference. However I will be switching to the 0w40 shortly.
Also, do you have a 75w90 synthetic gear oil in? I assume it takes a 90 weight gear oil. Huge difference between that and a 80w90 in extreme cold. 80w90 is basically a sticky grease at these temps.
Craig Taylor also has the winter low viscosity synthetic hydraulic fluid. That made a big difference in the cold too. My FEL moves a lot faster and takes considerably less time to warm up enough. The motor didn’t want to stall when I shifted to a higher range with this hydraulic fluid like the factory fill did.

Interesting is some of these specialty cold weather fluids are actually cheaper from John Deere up here.

Finally, I recommend the Valvoline synthetic grease. Cheap and exceptional cold weather properties. Get it out of Autozone.

My 2 cents
Edit: just seen you are running the good hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:
   / BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #13  
Some members have upgraded their BXs to a B type fuel filter over the OEM in-line filters for improved cold weather use. Doesn’t take much water to block a filter.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #14  
Get yourself one of those 'Kats' magnetic oil pan heaters and use that. They work quite well actually.
Unless it has a aluminum oil pan like my ZL2202 .

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #15  
You need the 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 fuel of course
Interesting comment as in, in 30 years, all of mine have gotten a steady diet of number 2 off road and never mixed squat. I do add Power Service winter blend however at the recommended dosage (and biocide of course). never had a start issue. Cold starts are more dependent on a good and fully charged starting battery than anything else.

They sit in an unheated barn when in use and are never plugged in (my cab unit has a never used block heater, factory installed). The seal is on the plug and been that way for 20 years.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #16  
Interesting comment as in, in 30 years, all of mine have gotten a steady diet of number 2 off road and never mixed squat. I do add Power Service winter blend however at the recommended dosage (and biocide of course). never had a start issue. Cold starts are more dependent on a good and fully charged starting battery than anything else.

They sit in an unheated barn when in use and are never plugged in (my cab unit has a never used block heater, factory installed). The seal is on the plug and been that way for 20 years.
So you no doubt live and operate in an area which EITHER never goes below 10 or 12 degrees F OR one which is so predictably cold that your fuel suppliers treat the fuel seasonally. Starting is not usually the issue but rather running a few minutes later. Fuel will gel in the lines even when the engine is toasty warm unless treated or mixed with #1.

Nuisance issues often arise in borderline areas where no one knows with any reliability whether the fuel has been treated for cold weather or not. In northern VT (having travelled from warmer climes) I recall plugging in a VW diesel overnight and it started just like warm weather next morning at around 10 below. I drove it about 1/4 mile before it chugged sputtered and quit. Locals pointed out to me that the heavy equip users all mix #1 and #2 up there in cold weather. In another case I left home in the 20's and 150 miles later topped a mountain where the thermometer said 10 degrees. Began to sputter & chug and made it mostly downhill to the next station where I added #1 to the tank. Newer cars I'm told have line warmers from the tanks to the engines.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #17  
Lots of great heater suggestions. I'd give those magnetic heater a try.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #18  
So you no doubt live and operate in an area which EITHER never goes below 10 or 12 degrees F OR one which is so predictably cold that your fuel suppliers treat the fuel seasonally. Starting is not usually the issue but rather running a few minutes later. Fuel will gel in the lines even when the engine is toasty warm unless treated or mixed with #1.

Nuisance issues often arise in borderline areas where no one knows with any reliability whether the fuel has been treated for cold weather or not. In northern VT (having travelled from warmer climes) I recall plugging in a VW diesel overnight and it started just like warm weather next morning at around 10 below. I drove it about 1/4 mile before it chugged sputtered and quit. Locals pointed out to me that the heavy equip users all mix #1 and #2 up there in cold weather. In another case I left home in the 20's and 150 miles later topped a mountain where the thermometer said 10 degrees. Began to sputter & chug and made it mostly downhill to the next station where I added #1 to the tank. Newer cars I'm told have line warmers from the tanks to the engines.
Not really. It's 14 here right now and I've seen -45 here but then I'm not fiddling with anything that has an engine at those temps anyway. I'm inside toasting my feet in front of the woodstove. Live in Michigan, it gets cold here and when it is, I'm not outside anyway.

Far as fuel goes, I buy mine in bulk yearly, usually in the summer, have a 500 gallon bulk tank so any winter treatment is questionable. Like I said, all they get is either summer or winter blend Powerservice and BioKleen Biocide which I add to the bulk tank when I have it filled. Nothing else and I've never had a gelling issue.

My issue with mixing in No.1 (Kerosene) is more of a lubricity issue than anything else. ULSD is lubricity defficient from the get go and my tractors aren't new, why I use Powerservice in the first place. I'd say at 6000+ hours and 2500+ hours I'm just fine. Just had the 6000+ hour unit in for an overhead adjustment and they pop tested the injectors and checked the spray pattern all all was good. Lack of lubricity in diesel impacts the injector pintles more than anything else and mine are old style mechanical injectors.

/ BX1500 Angry When Started in Cold Weather #19  
5030 -- Understand. Makes sense. You're really getting longevity out of your tractors. I knew about the lubricity issue. What I suspect is going on is that the heavy equipment people in northern climes only care if it starts and runs OK tomorrow and if something goes wrong a shop crew takes care of it, not them. For the casual citizens and gentleman farmers and people relatively rarely worrying about operations in very cold weather -- they (including me) do this fuel doctoring so infrequently and such a small % of the time, reduced lubrication quality of the fuel is negligible.