Buying Advice BX1860 or BX2360

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #1  

vrmnthntr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, RTV 900
I have been reading reviews and posts on this site for about a year. I have learned a lot from reading posts. I recently decided to look into a sub compact tractor. I already own a Kubota L3540 and RTV 900 so naturally I would look toward a Kubota scut. The dealer is also excellent and has a great reputation.

I am looking to replace my zero turn 60 inch Toro commercial mower. I no longer cut additional yards, only mine (about an acre) and a elderly neighbor's across the rd (about 2 acres). I'm not concerned about the extra time it will take to cut the grass going from a zero turn to a mid mount mower as I am not pressured for time anymore.

With the BX70 series coming out I figured now would be a good time to look at a 60 series and get more money for my zero turn since it its spring. Not sure if I will be trading the zero turn or selling it myself.

The dealer has offered a 1860 for $10,775 for a 54 inch regular cut deck, loader valves, and turf tires. For the 2360 the selling price is $12,285 for a 60 inch deck, loader valves, and turf tires. I do not need the loader valves, however the dealer said they order all BX tractors with them.

The tractor will be used primarily for mowing and I plan on buying a small 7200 watt pto generator to run with it. Question is, how do the prices sound and would the 2360 be worth the extra money for the extra pto hp and larger deck?

Thanks for the replies.

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #2  
I went through this Dec of 2011,was in the process of signing papers and couldn't decide between a 1860 or 2360.I signed on a 2360 54 mmm, like the salesman said you can't add HP but its there if you need it needless to say after owing for a 15 months I upgraded to a 2670 when I saw the new seat and dash and 60 mmm but the 2360 done everything I asked of it.:welcome:

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #3  
The 2360 has more PTO power, larger tires, beefier front axle, and a stronger loader if you add one. You can also get R4's on a 2360. I doubt you will regret the extra power of the 2360, that is mainly why I went for it. Both are nice tractors.

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #4  
You have a tractor for tractor work. Your hunting for a mower. Time isn't a problem so 54" vs 60" isn't important. Smaller is more manuverable and you'll never wear out either one of them. If your a regretter after you buy type person then get the more expensive one, more HP one and the extra money means nothing to you.
I had a BX1500 MMM for 3 years while I had a B7800 FEL RFM for the same 3 years till I paid them off. The only better mower than the BX1500 is my current F3080s and the previous F2680e which Barlows may still have.
Don't know about price but a contact with Barlows will let you know how your dealer is treating you. Barlows also gives good trade in prices, I know.:)

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #5  
Well I can only speak for myself, but I found I can do so well trimming with the 60" MMM vs the 54" MMM, I no longer own a push mower. Power won't be an issue, as either will do. When I retired I didn't think time would be an issue either, but I was wrong.:laughing:

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #6  
You have a tractor for tractor work. Your hunting for a mower. Time isn't a problem so 54" vs 60" isn't important. Smaller is more manuverable and you'll never wear out either one of them. If your a regretter after you buy type person then get the more expensive one, more HP one and the extra money means nothing to you.
I had a BX1500 MMM for 3 years while I had a B7800 FEL RFM for the same 3 years till I paid them off. The only better mower than the BX1500 is my current F3080s and the previous F2680e which Barlows may still have.
Don't know about price but a contact with Barlows will let you know how your dealer is treating you. Barlows also gives good trade in prices, I know.:)

John gave some good advice.
Since you already have larger tractors to handle your tougher chores, I seriously doubt you need to spend the extra cash. You've probably a list of things that you want and could spend that $2500 to procure. Who doesn't?

To a guy who's one and only tractor is a BX, the differences between the 18 and the 23 are worth noting and may very well influence his decision. In your case, I seriously doubt it.

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #7  
You cant get rid of the loader valves. Its standard on the BX's. Its a accessory for plow, FEL, rotary broom, etc. I'd get the 60 inch deck, no matter which BX you get. The left side of mower of 60" makes a difference on the tire path and cutting around the beds/borders and around turns.
As for prices, Its close to par to prices around here. To me the extra HP and deck width is worth every penny. You will need the extra HP since there are hp losses when using PTO. Don't forget that the BX is not like your L tractor where you can have engine rpms much lower to maintain pto speed and the BX will sound like its screaming but its designed to do that when running at full pto speed - hence the need for extra hp when hooking up the genny to it and its critical to maintain pto engine speeds on BX.

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #8  
Was in a similar situation for our little weekend mountain farm. Have a L3200 and a Mule and just wanted something to cut grass. Went with a 1860 48" deck (has to fit between blue berry bushes) with turf tires and a loader valve. This was about 10 months ago and I think the price was right around $9400. There was a $1k cash rebate at the time. I don't regret at all getting the 1860 over the 2360 - that little bugger eats!

/ BX1860 or BX2360
I talked with the dealer this morning. My wife and I will be going to there tomorrow morning to test drive both the 1860 and 2360. I drove the 1860 yesterday and it had a good turning radius for its size. Much of where i cut is open. There are a few trees here and there which makes me think I may be leaning toward the 60 inch deck because width between objects is not an issue. I never thought about the extra width for getting closer to the trees and bushes. The added pto hp for the generator will also be good. I could use the L series for the generator, but I like the size of the BX and can make my own 3 pt hitch for it as I feel the L is more cumbersome.

Whether or not my wife likes it will be another deciding factor on the purchase. She will use it just as much and I will. Between her and our two dogs there is no more room for me in the RTV to ride.

The dealer also said he forgot there is a additional $500 rebate for the BX. :thumbsup: There is a larger $1500 rebate for cash purchases, but I will be finanacing. I am also in the process of trying to sell my zero turn myself to have a little more down. If I don't sell the mower I feel the dealer has given me a fair offer, only because its that time of year.

Thanks for the advice as I like to hear everyones personal experiences to help me decide. I will keep you posted.

/ BX1860 or BX2360 #10  
I bought a BX2360 in 2011,new from the dealer,without a loader valve.I only wanted the tractor for mowing and the valve was an extra 900 dollars.I priced a valve this spring and the price was down to about 680 dollars.