Mowing BX1860 OVERHEATS (?)

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #21  
I am going to post this at the risk of being called a troll.

From your link:
COOLING SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
The conventional spark ignition gasoline engine is
not a very efficient powerplant. A considerable
amount of the available fuel energy must be rejected
from the metal combustion chamber parts by the
coolant and dispersed to the atmosphere through the
radiator. This heat rejection is necessary in order to
prevent thermal fatigue of the pistons, cylinder walls,
and the cylinder head. Another problem is that the
combustion chamber must be cooled enough to prevent
preignition and detonation

Last I looked the BX series is diesel.

LoL.

Please elaborate on how the thermal characteristics, and cooling system operation specifically, differ between a gasoline internal combustion engine (aka spark ignition) and a diesel internal combustion engine (aka compression ignition).

Let's see, common to both:
1) 4 cycle operation (intake, compression, power, exhaust) -- check.
2) some method of ignition for the fuel/air mixture -- check.
3) expansion of hot gases driving a reciprocating piston -- check.
4) water jackets surrounding the cylinder(s) -- check.
5) water passages built into the block and head assembly -- check.
6) crank/pulley driven water pump to circulate coolant -- check.
7) radiator which acts as a coolant-to-air heat exchanger via forced convection cooling -- check.
8) thermostat to regulate coolant flow, thereby regulating engine temperature -- check.

So, please, educate us in detail on how gasoline and diesel engine liquid cooling systems differ?

Wrooster

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #22  
LoL.

Please elaborate on how the thermal characteristics, and cooling system operation specifically, differ between a gasoline internal combustion engine (aka spark ignition) and a diesel internal combustion engine (aka compression ignition).

Let's see, common to both:
1) 4 cycle operation (intake, compression, power, exhaust) -- check.
2) some method of ignition for the fuel/air mixture -- check.
3) expansion of hot gases driving a reciprocating piston -- check.
4) water jackets surrounding the cylinder(s) -- check.
5) water passages built into the block and head assembly -- check.
6) crank/pulley driven water pump to circulate coolant -- check.
7) radiator which acts as a coolant-to-air heat exchanger via forced convection cooling -- check.
8) thermostat to regulate coolant flow, thereby regulating engine temperature -- check.

So, please, educate us in detail on how gasoline and diesel engine liquid cooling systems differ?

Wrooster
I guess because their product is specifically made for gasoline engines, ya know......like they kinda make additives specifically for the antifreeze in diesel engines, and did ya ever take notice that engine oil is specefic to diesel engines as opposed to gas engines.

You must be right, they are the same.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta clean the spark plugs on my diesel.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #23  
Not to mention cavitation which can ruin an engine block.
Cavitation is the result of a dynamic fluid flow resulting in pressure drop, such as behind a propeller. It can also occur when engine coolant system flow velocities are very high.
Cavitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Compare with nucleation:
Nucleation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In general, local nucleation and subsequent bubble collapse can result in similar symptoms, but pure water has a much higher thermal conductivity and heat capacity than 50/50 water/glycol solution. Hence, it is typically the case that even though water has a lower boiling point than a 50/50 solution, the cooling system efficacy is higher and operating temperatures are lower. For this reason, pure water is used in race car applications -- lower engine temperatures and/or a smaller/lighter radiator, which reduces frontal drag area. (Aside from the fact that coolant additives are usually not permitted by race organizers, in order to prevent contamination of the track surface in the event of an accident).

If you want to run water, be my guest. Properly mixed anti-freeze does raise the boiling point reduce corrosion lube the water pump and reduce cavitation.
No, I don't want or need to run water. It was asserted above that a 50/50 mix of water and glycol solution would provide better cooling than pure water. It does not. Pure water provides the best cooling performance, albeit with the limitations I enumerated and you buttressed as well.

Wrooster

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #25  
No, I don't want or need to run water. It was asserted above that a 50/50 mix of water and glycol solution would provide better cooling than pure water.

Which post?

Cavitation is the result of a dynamic fluid flow resulting in pressure drop, such as behind a propeller. It can also occur when engine coolant system flow velocities are very high.
Cavitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Compare with nucleation:
Nucleation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you can argue what the actual name is - cavitation is the name commonly used by most people on this site. the damage is real and certain design factors make it more likely. While all glycol based coolant don't prevent it
pure water definitely does not.
BTW what doe increasing the thickness of the oxide layer ( corrosion from running water) going to to the thermal efficiently.

please answer my last question why bring up running water when no overheat is indicated?

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #26  
I'm not sure if this would be a culprit to running hot but on JD's 3000 series tractors if the air filter is dirty they will over heat. This also applies to when the radiator screen is plugged. Not sure if this post will help or not. :confused2:

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #27  
Coolant info:

1. Water absorbs and disipates (maybe spelled wrong) heat better that a water/antifreeze mix.

2. The correct water/antifreeze mix will have a higher boiling (and lower freezing) point.

3. Antifreeze adds anti-corrosion additives that are very important in modern diesel engines (especially where aluminum and other metals come in contact with each other).

4. Antifreeze also adds lubricatation and other needed additive.

Can you run just water: Yes
Can you run straight antifreeze: Yes
Can you run the correct mixture: Yes

You can also run it without any coolant, but it won't run long. Point is, you should run what the manufacturer recomends. They recomend this because it is best for thier equipment, not because they just "got a wild hair." Just my 2 cents worth.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #28  
I have a BX2350 which also comes close to overheating only when I mow rhe grass. I changed the engine oil to 15w40 and temp. now runs in normal zone. Strait water should never be run in a diesel engine as cavitation can cause the cylinder walls to pit . Diesel engine antifreeze has additives to prevent this.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #29  
I tested my BX2200 temp gauge response against the actual temperature of the coolant, from start up to right hot (by blocking the radiator partially with cardboard) and I was able to recalibrate my expectations for the gauge. My gauge, on a tractor similar, but older, would need to go into the red directly to be in threat of boiling.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #30  
My BX1860 with MMM runs very very hot while mowing at near full throttle since I bought it.
The dealer worked on it twice. Said it didn't get hot for them. SOL for me.
My fix.... run slower at 3/4 throttle with cab heater on full blast to increase water circulation
to disperse the heat. (I have a hard tractor cab). I never had this problem with my BX1800.
Glad to know I am not the only one.... as others have posted similar over-heating problems on this forum.