BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #1  

kw22614

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Hey all,
Using my tractor all day was fine, started every time . Was working out of the bucket drilling my flagstone house for new shutters. Finally got done and ready to put tractor up for the rest of day and she won't even turn over. The battery is fine - even tried jumping and still won't even kick over. All the accessories work as do the lights and power outlet. The hour meter, gas gauge, on and heater lights come on dash. Everything works the same except it won't turn over, like not getting power to or from starter. Anybody had this happen? What do I do? I'll fix it myself if I can. Thanks, KW

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #2  
Are you sure the PTO is not engaged? I know but it happened to me.

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #3  
Also, is HST pedal able to return fully back? Is the operator's seat all the way down, depressing the deadman's switch under the seat? Getting these three starter block switches (PTO/HST/Seat) adjusted properly is a dealer headache.

It could still be your battery. If the battery is low, the high drain functions fail first: like firing the starter solenoid.

Make sure the battery terminal connections are clean and tight. Oxidation and/or looseness drops voltage.

Do you have a voltmeter to read battery voltage?

You cannot jump start your tractor connected positive to positive and negative to negative, old school style.

Read your Operator's Manual for correct jump start procedure.

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #4  
Hey all,
Using my tractor all day was fine, started every time . Was working out of the bucket drilling my flagstone house for new shutters. Finally got done and ready to put tractor up for the rest of day and she won't even turn over. The battery is fine - even tried jumping and still won't even kick over. All the accessories work as do the lights and power outlet. The hour meter, gas gauge, on and heater lights come on dash. Everything works the same except it won't turn over, like not getting power to or from starter. Anybody had this happen? What do I do? I'll fix it myself if I can. Thanks, KW
My BX1500 does that. I believe its the starter solenoid energizing contact in the ignition switch ... or the solenoid is going bad and needs a better contact than the switch, and associated wiring, provides. It occasionally happens then goes away. To get it to start when it wont I jumper the Batt positive terminal that is bolted to the solenoid, to the solenoid spade connector on the solenoid. That has always worked and like as not the system operates normally next time. Jumpering is a pia so I set up a separate switch to do it. Well see how/if the malady progresses.

The safety interlocks on the BXs are diabolical as they start to go bad, so your problem may be one of them. I have bypassed all of mine as they failed, except the PTO start exclusion, so mine has a pretty straight line for cranking mode.
,,,larry

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over
Thanks all.
Don't really know what it was but after sitting for about 1 & 1/2 hrs., I shook the PTO selector handle and she started right up. Maybe I bumped the handle getting out the last time I shut her off, but I really think something electrical overloaded and needed to cool down to reset, maybe the IGN switch or the solenoid (I would have guessed it was a resettable circuit breaker or the starter relay in any other vehicle but I don't think my BX has either).
Was weird - something else to add to the WTF file.
Thanks pap71 for the idea to even shake the handle!
Thanks Larry, I'll try to remember the solenoid jump trick if it happens again.
Thanks for your concern jeff9366, I know the proper way to jump a tractor.

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #6  
Thanks all.
Don't really know what it was but after sitting for about 1 & 1/2 hrs., I shook the PTO selector handle and she started right up. Maybe I bumped the handle getting out the last time I shut her off, but I really think something electrical overloaded and needed to cool down to reset...
No, nothing was overloaded. The PTO engagement lever lockout switch can be temperamental on the BX; somewhere here i read about how to adjust the switch closure -- you may be able to find some info how via searching. My BX occasionally does the same thing as yours -- I get off the seat while the tractor is idling and the engine stops straightaway. Turn the key, nothing. Jiggle the PTO engagement lever for a moment, and it starts right back up. It is not so much an inconvenience that I want to crawl under, but eventually I will.

wrooster

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over
Thanks wrooster, bought my BX new in Nov 2012, never had a bit of start system problems. Hope this was just a weird occurrence and doesn't present itself again. I didn't know the BX could be so quirky. I reckon I'll use the same tack as you - I'll just wiggle the handle till I'm ready to research more and do a more permanent repair. Getting real close to my 200 hour maintainance, maybe while I'm under I'll look to see if there's something I can adjust. KW

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #8  
My PTO gets sticky from dirt and organic matter and requires a shake sometime to engage the starter motor. Watch the lever from under the fender. Blowout the swivel point and lube. I just used my compressor to clean that area and liberal WD40. Now when I let go of the lever it quickly thunks in the off position.

And no, the BX is not quirky when you do the cleaning and maintenance.

/ BX1860 started 30 min ago - now it won't even turn over #9  
I had the same problem last month. I finally traced the problem to the HST pedal switch. After replacing the switch I have not had anymore problems.