BX22 hydo problem wont move

/ BX22 hydo problem wont move #1  

copperhead1967

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota BX22, Cub ZForce S 48 inch deck
I was using BX22 to move some gravel back and forth to fill in a drainage ditch I dug down the lane from my house. I did notice a little whining when using FEL to load gravel. Pretty normal so far. I was moving some dirt out of the way as I was filling the trench and dumped it. Then when trying to back out the dirt dump area the tractor started making a loud thumping sound from underneath. It does it in both forward and reverse. Low and high range too. I climbed off and looked at the front driveshaft as I've sheared that pin in the past. Nope, still hooked up ok.
I then put it into two wheel drive and have the same loud sound when lightly pressing the pedal in either direction. The tractor attempts to move but only a quarter inch or so. No noises when using BH or FEL or engaging PTO. I checked the fluid level and it looked a little high so I let it cool and checked again several hours later and it's OK.
I'm thinking tranny went but haven't had a real chance to look underneath it yet. Have to tow it back closer to house and hose her off some first. Is there a chance something is bound up by mud? Can't see any fluid leaks as of yet.
Any ideas where to look next? I'm interested in a way to tell if it's the transmission or perhaps the pump or maybe where the hydro unit connects to the transmission?
Tractor is 7 years old, 602 hours. I have the shop manual and will start digging into it.

/ BX22 hydo problem wont move #2  
Let us hope there is brush and junk binding the throw of the pedal and perhaps a broken spring if it has return springs

With the tractor doing this in two and 4 wheel drive leads me to think the valve connected to the hydro pedal is the problem and maybe shot as you have six hundred plus hours on your beast of burden.

Sound like you have to split it and do some major work to bring it back to life only if the main pump is in good condition.

Does your tractor have a 2 section pump or a single section gear pump?:eek:

/ BX22 hydo problem wont move
Not sure the manual talks about one pump far as I can tell, but I read somewhere here about two seperate ones.

Here's an update, towed the BX to the house, hosed her down, removed both back tires and placed it up on 6x6 cribbing. I then lubed every mechanical contact point I could find under the machine.
It sounded alot better without the tireload, the hubs do spin quite strong without the wheel and ground drag. ( I even got to explain with a live demo on how limited slip works to my son.) I can hear a much fainter thunking sound from just forward of the rear axle on the left side of the tractor. Seems to be loudest between the HST and the axle.
I then put the tires back on and got her to move enough to get the FEL and BH off. Off course the sound is much louder with the tires back on. But at least it's moving. Have a call to make to the "local tractor guy" the farmers around here use to see if he can help out. If not, off to the dealer she goes. Just wish it was the tranny making the noise and not what appears to be further back in the hydro.

I'm also going to get a new cup holder installed. Maybe that will get some responses;)

/ BX22 hydo problem wont move #6  
Did you check the high and low range selector?

Just as a test at idle put it in neutral step on pedal an see if it will go in to low or high it might grind a little so don't push it to hard.

tom

/ BX22 hydo problem wont move #7  
You didn't mention using the diff lock when the machine broke but from where you describe the sound coming from and having read enough reports here on TBN about broken diff locks, it's possible the linkage broke and is hung up in the tranny. Hope it's something simple, but sounds otherwise. Let us know what you find out.

Post# 6: Nothing happens in N - no noise. it does shift in and out of Hi/Low when I throw the lever.
post#7 ; I WAS using Diff Lock off and on. can't remember if I was on it when it had its fit. i spent the most time looking at right side of Hydro due to noise coming from there. I did check Diff linkage quickly and all looked ok. However I think it's worth a second look. There is a roll pin in the lever going into the hydro perhaps that sheared off.

What kind of cupholder? :D ( One that never gets empty and stays cold at all time)The best advice I can offer is go the your manual, look in the Transaxle section under mechanism. Get a magnifying glass if need be, and look at the gear mesh for different functions. Determine what functions (front pto, rear pto, charge pump under load lifting tractor FE with FEL, front wheel drive gears, rear wheels) make noise, and which are noise free. Determine from the diagrams and meshs which gears are involved.

Is the noise directly proportional to engine RPM? ( NO) Is the noise directly proportional to the rear wheel speed? ( Gets harsher and faster) According to the assembly section where the gear teeth count is shown, can you tell by the frequency of the thump verses the movement of the offending function which exact gear it the problem? ( Not sure yet)

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, and I'm sure others are too, its just difficult to diagnose a noise, especially one we don't actually hear. ( I understand)

Consider...is there any pedal feedback to the clunk. (Not noticable, maybe just a bit of mechanical energy traveling thru metal of tractor)

Also, there are many recent threads in this forum about the hydraulic testing of the transmission. You are probably limited to checking only charge pressure though, since you can't very well check fwd/reverse reliefs on a tractor in that state, as best I can figure. (I have a homemade rig for the 1850 PSI check on the relief valve)Find out what a transmission new ( around $1450-1550 "list" from colemans or messicks)and complete costs, and compare it to the value of the tractor.
( 15K for a new one, can't get by without one) What is your skill level and time available? ( I think I can bolt on a new tranny but doubt my skill if I have to crack her open) Do you wish to tear it down yourself? ( Wife won't do it, but may bring me a beer or two:D) Will running it much for testing ruin it? (Good question), Filter should collect most debris, but still, some worry about this.

I added my responses to quote in ( ***)

EEBota I was responding when you edited let me know if you want to scrap the whole post

Last edited:
   / BX22 hydo problem wont move #10  
I added my responses to quote in ( ***)

EEBota I was responding when you edited let me know if you want to scrap the whole post

Nah, it all sounded ok when I wrote it, but a day later, it sounded impractical in some ways, irrelevant in others, and downright confusing. Then when I got to the unintended interrogation stage, I felt like in retrospect that it could even be viewed as an insult. I'm just glad you didn't take any of it in a way I didn't mean it. Just because we talk about skill levels all the time at work doesn't mean it is appropriate to blurt out "What's your skill level?":eek:

As for the problem, I am always surprised they can sell that tranny for that price, and the value of the tractor vs the cost of a tranny is an interesting comparison.

Everybody is different, but if it happened to me, I would likely buy a new tranny, and attempt to fix the old one at my leisure. And if it turned out to be some small thing that didn't require a new one, I would try to be happy for the easy spare, not disappointed that I am not a psychic with X-ray vision.

I'd feel slightly smarter if the old was ruined, thus proving I was right to buy new. But a truly smart man would gladly trade that smart feeling for a working spare, so fear of ruining a tranny would diminish, without increasing the odds at all. I think some of us worry about our transmissions more than that cost would justify. Worry does nothing, but most worry anyway. I do.