BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #1  

Barneyhunts

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 Kubota B7800, Kubota BX2200
After mowing for a while (1-2 hrs.) I find an oil film on the battery compartment cover and on the bottom of the dash. With the covers off and the engine running I cannot find the leak. I believe it is in one of the four power steering hoses and/or fittings at the steering regulator ,but, I cannot isolate it. I plan to clean it up and mow with the cover off to see if I can find it that way. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Barney

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #2  
If you have to replace a hose- make sure you do all four!!!

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #3  
I had to have my hoses replaced on my 2003 BX2200 a couple of years ago, I was told it's not unusual on that model and age. The deck had to be removed, so I had all replaced as labor was a major cost as always.

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #4  
If you have to replace a hose- make sure you do all four!!!

I've had more leaks and breaks on my 2200 than I can count this year. Replaced 2 hoses on the steering valve, 2 steel lines under the tractor(to the loader valve), 2 couplers and hoses on the loader valve, and I have at least 2 more leaks to go. The tractor has about 1300 hours on it. My dealer said they all seem to go at once in that era- fittings, couplers and lines. I stopped to pick up my SUV from being inspected the other night. My inspection guy also does every size of hydraulic hoses. I was talking to him about my tractor and he said there was another BX out back of the shop for hose repairs. I guess I'll keep going until I get them all. I like the tractor too much to do anything else!

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator
Thanks everyone for your input. The leak appears to be at the bottom of the regulator(steering control valve). It may be from a fitting. I need to disassemble the dash and take the regulator out and look at it.
Barney

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #6  
I have a BX2200 that I have used for 14 years (and have bought 2 others, used, for other family members.) Your leak of hydraulic fluid will get worse. It starts out, as you say, with just noticeable wetness. Then proceeds to a larger leak. Often the leak is inside the protective fiber sheath that comes on those hoses from the factory and that causes the leak to appear a ways from it's actual origin. In my case I found out it is a major dis-assembly job to get at those hoses (especially the end back near the rear axle.) I had the local dealer replace all the power steering hoses (which cost a few hundred dollars, nearly all of which was labor.) Those suggesting to replace them ALL are absolutely correct. If you get it apart enough to replace one for heaven's sake do them all. In 14 years the ONLY failures I have seen with our BX2200 was hydraulic hoses. My dealer confides that the factory hoses are the weakness in those machines and claims that the replacement ones they install are much better & will probably outlast me. I have also had a hose fail on the front-end loader which was out enough where I could get to it and do the work myself. Almost any tractor dealer and many auto parts places will custom make hoses for you. The real problem is matching up connectors/hose ends because there is a totally foolish wide variety of connectors/fittings. Around 50 or 60 types where there logically should be 3 or 4 at most. By the way, both mine and one owned by another family member have a leaky power steering cylinder under the front of the chassis. I have not tackled it yet (the leak dried up after super cold weather went away) but the cylinder is fairly exposed and looks easy to remove. They can be rebuilt for far less than a factory replacement part. By the way TripleR mentioned that the "deck had to be removed" as if that was a reason to have professional help to replace the hoses. Heck, deck removal is an easy 5 minute job but getting these hoses out and back in is a big job involving dropping the rear axle for starters! Good luck & let us know how you make out.

Thanks everyone for your input. The leak appears to be at the bottom of the regulator(steering control valve). It may be from a fitting. I need to disassemble the dash and take the regulator out and look at it.
Barney

Fixed it! And it's embarrassing. When I took the steering regulator off I found a loose plug....same size hex as the hose fittings. Apparently I loosened it thinking that I was working on a hose fitting when the regulator was in place. No wonder I couldn't find a problem with the fittings! Good news though is NO MORE LEAK>

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #8  
I guess I am lucky. The only hose problems I have had on my BX2200 are on the loader control valve. Replaced all but one so far.
A little peeved at Car Quest. Had them make two of the hoses because they were open on Sunday. Cost me twice what the dealer charges for the same hoses. The guy says it is the angled fittings that cost so much. BS.

/ BX2200 hydraulic leak under the steering regulator #9  
Fixed it! And it's embarrassing. When I took the steering regulator off I found a loose plug....same size hex as the hose fittings. Apparently I loosened it thinking that I was working on a hose fitting when the regulator was in place. No wonder I couldn't find a problem with the fittings! Good news though is NO MORE LEAK>

Barney, I'm confused. If you didn't have the leak and had not seen it yet, why would you have been working on a hose fitting near the steering control valve in the first place? (when you think you probably loosened it yourself...) It's not important, I'm glad to hear the leak is gone, but this just doesn't make sense to me.

Barney, I'm confused. If you didn't have the leak and had not seen it yet, why would you have been working on a hose fitting near the steering control valve in the first place? (when you think you probably loosened it yourself...) It's not important, I'm glad to hear the leak is gone, but this just doesn't make sense to me.

JWR,
I had a major leak in one of the two hoses which come from the transmission to the regulator(supply & return). The leak under the regulator occurred after I had replaced the two hoses and the protective sheath they run in. Since I worked on the hose fittings, I assumed the leak was at the fittings.....never thought to check the plug!
Barney