BX2200 Starting Problem

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #1  

justsailin

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with my BX2200 starting. My tractor does start but only when I turn the ignition switch the whole way to the on position. When it is fully turned to on nothing happens but when I release the pressure a little bit I hear a click and the engine tries to turn over and DOES start. It does not crank like it should when I turn the starter switch fully to on position. Last week, this method did not work (it had been raining the previous day) however the following day the above method worked.

I guess my question is the following:

1. Do you think this is the starter switch ?
2. Or Is this the actual starter mechanism ?
3. Or Is this way over my head ....

I am not electrically inclined but I could replace a starter switch I think.

Any suggestion appreciated !!!!!

Thanks Alot,

Tom

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #2  
1. Do you think this is the starter switch ?

Based on what you've posted, that would be my guess.

If the switch is acting differently in weather, might just be dirty or corroded. Spraying contact cleaner through it first shouldn't hurt anything. Maybe worth a try.

/ BX2200 Starting Problem
Thanks for the response, I will try that today and let you know the result.

Tom

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #4  
the switch is about $55 and it is plug and play- very easy to replace.

Mine started having issues where it would run the glow plugs but not the fuel pump.

Replacement took 5 minutes.

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #5  
You mentioned rain. Was the tractor outside in the rain? It can take water quite awhile to dry completely if it gets down inside an electrical switch. Just a little corrosion can also cause circuits not to open and close cleanly.

Was the tractor covered during the rain? If there already is dried corrosion in a switch, high humidity can cause the oxidized compounds to absorb some water vapor, expand a little and partially block or short a circuit.

I removed the cover screen under the dash to look at the starter switch but I could not figure out how to get to the starter switch. I think I need to be able to remove it so I can see if it is corroded. What is the best way to get to and remove the starter switch. Do I get at it from underneath the dash or do I take the dash apart (and how do I do that).

I saw on another post that the starter solenoid could be the problem too. Any ideas on that ?

Last time it rained heavy but mower sits under tree but it was very humid too.

Thanks,

Tom

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #7  
If you find the starter switch shows signs of corrosion I would replace it and not try cleaning it. If you do clean it and it works OK; being coroded it will fail again before long.

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #8  
The switch is held on with a ring on the outside of the panel. You may need to take a small screwdriver and a hammer to work it loose. Just place tip of screwdriver in one of the slots and tap it with a hammer.

Thanks 4Kings I will try to remove the starter switch this weekend.

Tom

/ BX2200 Starting Problem #10  
Hold the starter switch under the dash and use offset pliers to grab the round ring on the outside and unscrew it. There is also a washer-like retaining ring that holds it in place. You will need to work that off.