bx2200 transaxle broke

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #11  
I've watched too many people engage the diff lock with wheels spinning which is a no-no! Haven't seen one fail in front of me but have seen them broke.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #12  
This happened to mine just this past Sunday. I didn't know what caused it but after reading feed I believe this is what happened to mine. You can't find a trans axle and the case is $4500.00 now. I am going to look at a complete BX tomorrow and they are asking $4500.00 for the whole tractor and it does run.

well with 635 hrs. the inside pins broke, then got in the main gear and did some other gears then put a hole in the bottom of the housing. I stripped the tractor down to get to the transaxle and took it to the dealer. appr.$1900.00 plus change to fix. the shop foreman said about $3500.00 if they would of done the whole tear down and install. i bought kubota thinking they are a well built unit. it is a tractor and i do use it as such, but that is not my idea of well built or design. any body else know of the transaxle breaking. by the way the shop foreman said if the diff. lock sticks that could of been the cause. just a fyi.
ne

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #13  
There's a guy on Facebook by the name of Stan Beech who had the pins break on his BX25. He took it all apart, then put in new pins that were larger. Had to machine out all of the holes that the pins fall into as they engage. As I recall, there are 4 pins and they are 10mm diameter. He put in pins at 12mm. But I don't hardly touch mine anymore based on his story.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #14  
Putting larger pins in isn't necessarily the best solution it will only weaken the part that the pins are pressed into. sometimes the wheels have to turn a little for the diff lock to engage but the trick is to make them turn slowly. ramming and jamming only breaks stuff.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #15  
I guess the moral of the story is another advantage of 4wd. Since you have to stop the tractor - and the rear wheels - to engage the diff lock, might as well just put it in 4wd instead.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #16  
I guess the moral of the story is another advantage of 4wd. Since you have to stop the tractor - and the rear wheels - to engage the diff lock, might as well just put it in 4wd instead.
Too late. I'm already in 4WD before I try the diff lock. Except as we all know, 4WD really is only 2WD until you use the diff lock, which then gets you into 3WD. There's no lock on the front diff, so it does what it wants.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #17  
we might as well also talk about ballast when we talk about diff locks. It makes a huge difference. My B7800 often needed the diff lock when driving through my woods until I had the tires filled then I was rarely using the Diff Lock.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #18  
If you bother to read your supplied owners manual, it plainly states to NEVER engage the different lock when either tire is spinning. On my M's, I have a locking rear and FRONT differential and I never engage either with the wheels spinning, not that I use them often because I don't but they are there if needed.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #19  
you have to spin the tire to get the diff lock to engage, the trick is you have to do it slowly. to line up the pins in the diff lock so they engage. a slight down pressure on the pedal until you feel it engage then you can go full speed on the HST.

/ bx2200 transaxle broke #20  
All well and good but neither of my tractors are HST. HST don't work for me at all and you are correct about engagement. Gently to allow the pins to engage. My front axles are the same deal, pins.
In retrospect, I would have preferred a clutch driven limited slip but obviously, Kubota thought otherwise.