BX2230 Block Heater?

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #11  
Tom:

Convection??

Density of fluid at different temps??

Heck- my tractor doesn't even have a water pump.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #12  
I just remember starting my 2230 last winter one morning at 10 below and it worked hard to do it. I realized right then and there that I'm getting a heater. Didn't even care where it was going as long as it was somewhere. Heat rises and the hose being the lowest point on the fluid travel I expect the heat (some anyway) will travel up into the block and the radiator.

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have learned long ago not to get into discussions with the "engineering" type of mind that tries to analyze everything to the nth degree.)</font>

Not trying to argue; just wanted to know what you based your statement on.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have used the in line heaters before and the warmth of the coolant has been sufficient to open the thermostat and allow the coolant to circulate.)</font>

That's what I wanted to know.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( True, it isn't as good as the directly inserted into the block water heater, but if there is no hole to insert a heater into (my assumption) what are you to do?)</font>

I agree completely. Earlier it seemed that you felt the in-line was no less efficient.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We could debate this till the cows come home, but I don't believe in beating a dead horse, nor do I want to learn how.)</font>

I have no hostile intentions, just wanted to hear more clearly what you were thinking.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You are welcome to your analysis of the situation, but when push comes to shove, and there is only one choice, it is clear to me what to do. The ideal is to have a heated garage, but for those that don't, then they will just have to settle for the next best thing.)</font>

I couldn't agree more.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A block heater if they have the older BX series, and an in line heater if they have the latest generation of the BX series. People with the BX1500 have always had only one choice..the in line heater. Now, the people that have purchased the BX23, can still have a block heater unless Kubota has started to install the next generation engine into them.)</font>

I understand and agree.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now, my question to you is...... Where is the water pump located on a Corvair????? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)</font>

Same place it is on an old VW beetle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The inline hoze heater on my Kubota B7100 works just fine even at -35C. If left plugged in long enough it will even warm the oil cooler by heat transfer from the coolant radiator.)</font>

Just curious, how long does it need to be plugged in before starting? When I had my old VW diesel with block heater in VT, a half hour would have the engine nice &amp; warm.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tom: Convection?? Density of fluid at different temps?? Heck- my tractor doesn't even have a water pump. Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

In theory, the slight amount of convection going on would not result in as much heat reaching the place you want it to as the block heater. Your point about fluid density and Junkman's point about the radiator valve make me wonder though if the warmer coolant might actually start to flow on its own without being pumped. That could actually move the warm liquid up into the block and deposit the heat where you want it. If the liquid didn't move, then the time for thermal conduction would theoretically be considerably longer.

Those points helped me see how an inline might be more effective than I first supposed. That's what I wanted Junkman. Heck, I live right next to a thousand live cows and horses. Standin' 'round beatin' a smelly dead one is the last thing I want to do. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #15  
The inline heater makes me think of the side arm heat exchanger used in many closed loop solar water heating systems. This web page illustrates what a side arm heat exchanger looks like. I have often wondered how this funny looking contraption could heat the water INSIDE the tank, especially without a pump to circulate the water thru the side arm and back into the lower part of the tank. But apparently it works, and I would imagine the inline heaters work much the same.

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Same place it is on an old VW Beetle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

WRONG.......The old Beetle didn't have a water pump of any kind. The Corvair did. It is located on the windshield wiper motor. It was used to pump water onto the windshield for cleaning purposes.

As for the "arguing".... I was just having one of those "sarcastic" moments.... They are similar to "senior" moments. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now for the next question... What President's picture is on the Ten Dollar bill?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #17  
While looking through the 2004 TSC catalog I came across this magnetic heater on page 214 (see attachment). Can't find it in the online catalog /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Has anyone tried one and do they work well? It seems like a good idea, it could even go on the transmission.

Attachments

• 526592-block heater1.jpg
    526592-block heater1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 200
   / BX2230 Block Heater? #18  
[ how long does it need to be plugged in before starting? ]

Depends on how cold it is and how long the tractor has been sitting.

You will find that the block heater and hoze heater work on exactlly the same principle but are just located in different places. Both transfer heat to a fluid which in turn circulates heating the metal engine parts.

Egon

/ BX2230 Block Heater?
Ken, I was looking in the TSC catolog today for pad heaters and I saw the magnetic heaters, I also thought it might be a good idea on the hyd transmission case, if there is extra startup wear on the cold engine what about the hyd transmission? About the start of this thread, I really wanted a block heater to start with, but I would use a hose heater if I thought there was enough room with the alternator upgrade, it may squeeze in there but I am not comfortable doing it that way, I started looking for pads and found this web-site, they make some good comments on pad heaters in their opinion.
www.padheaters.com/index,html
Thanks
Harley Scooter

/ BX2230 Block Heater? #20  
So how much did you pay for your joke book?

George Wahington considered Alexander Hamilton to be his boy wonder. An orphaned immigrant teenager, he was indispensible to the General, later serving as his Secretary of the Treasury. A genius who placed the country on the right path financially, yet he was a Federalist extremist who would not have seen himself as president. Seeing himself as King was more like it, to the extent that his arch-enemy, Vice President Aaron Burr dispatched Hamilton to the after-life a bit early in their infamous duel. And they say politics today is dirty!!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, if only Tom Jefferson could have stayed in the White House forever, every American alive today would own his own farm and tractor-and there'd be perpetual peace throughout the land!!

So the long answer to your question: none, unless a Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand ten dollar bill has a picture of someone's president; In that case, I don't know. Some say, however, that ten years from now the answer to your question will be the Gipper.

Maybe we should get back on thread now. Sorry Muhammed.