BX2230 on 2 cylinders

/ BX2230 on 2 cylinders #1  

pondrosa

I have noticed more smoke than usual in my BX2230 lately and maybe not running as smooth as it used to. My bx2750D snowblower is covered with soot. I'll clean it and see what happens going forward.

I found the wire to the bar that connects the 3 glow plugs was broken. I attached a new spade connector and it runs great now.

Always get a puff at the start but seems cleaner.

Question is when I got it running (with the broken wire) is it possible that not all cylinders were running?

Have I done some serious damage?

Hope not.

Also shop manual says resistance across glow plugs should be 0.9 ohms and all three of mine are at 1.2 ohms if I read it right. Is this OK?

Pondrosa:)

Last edited:
   / BX2230 on 2 cylinders #2  
I have noticed more smoke than usual in my BX2230 lately and maybe not running as smooth as it used to. My bx2750D snowblower is covered with soot. I'll clean it and see what happens going forward.

I found the wire to the bar that connects the 3 glow plugs was broken. I attached a new spade connector and it runs great now.

Always get a puff at the start but seems cleaner.

Question is when I got it running (with the broken wire) is it possible that not all cylinders were running?

Have I done some serious damage?

Hope not.

Also shop manual says resistance across glow plugs should be 0.9 ohms and all three of mine are at 1.2 ohms if I read it right. Is this OK?

Pondrosa:)

Did you test them out of the engine also or installed only?

Do not forget that ambient temperature plays a role in the metals conductance as colder metal is more dense, hence more resistant to conductivity.

No worries,
it has to be running on all three cylinders as they run without an ignition source and if it was not running on all three cylinders you would have a serious bout of white smoke from unburned fuel exiting the muffler.

/ BX2230 on 2 cylinders
Actually tested them in the engine, it was cold. Probably explains it. Did get white smoke briefly when I got it started. But it cleared up. A friend told me today it is possible to start a diesel without the glow plugs working, just harder. Kind a like when I had a Yamaha XT250, put it in second roll down a hill and pop the clutch, use compression to start it. Thanks for the help. I'll be checking the wire to the glow plugs for sure every time I use it though. It starts and runs great now, just like new. Love my Kubota. Thanks again.

/ BX2230 on 2 cylinders #4  
You will always get some soot, particularly under heavy load. The back of my bucket is covered from plowing snow with my rear blade. When I hit a hill and the engine lugs some, the governor will apply more fuel to try to get it back to the desired RPM. If it can't get there because of load, you get black smoke.

I would imagine that same thing would happen blowing snow when you are blowing heavy snow and it lugs some.

/ BX2230 on 2 cylinders #5  
Hey Leonz I have a kubota L 185 and I think the front main seal is leaking do you know how hard they are to replace i am some what mech. minded just never worked on one before . Thanks

/ BX2230 on 2 cylinders #6  
Before I did anything I would purchase the shop
manual for the engine so you have it and a parts
list for the engine to be sure you have the ability
to order the right crankcase seal for the engine.

You can purchase the shop manual and the seal from
Foley Marine & Industrial Engines as they are one of the largest
rebuilders and seller of new rebuilt kubota power

You neeed time and patience and the right tools
for the job. The shop manual should list the tools
needed for the job and a good torque wrench will
be one of the first purchases unless you have one for
metric already.

Slow and steady wins the crankcase seal race.