Snow BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #1  

Derekg34

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I've read about this before but it really isn't answered well. I have turfs on my BX2230. In the winter, will I need to purchase ags to plow snow (with a blade)? Do ags do much better in snow than turfs? Should I get the new ags loaded if I am going that way? Does the BX2230 do a decent job in snow removal. I need some opinions from those of you who use your tractor to plow in winter. Also, are the extra work lights necessary for this job?
Thanks A lot!

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #2  
I think I would just pick up a good pair of "ice chains" for the turf tires and try that first instead of popping for a new set on R-1s . If your in ice conditions any tire is pretty much useless unless you have some sort of traction devise IE: steel studs, chains etc.
Allen

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #3  
What kind of surface are you plowing? Asphalt, concrete, gravel? Adding some weight to the rear (rear blade or weight box) might also help rather than going to the chains.

On my BX2230 I have a snowblower and a box blade for use on asphalt and gravel and I have never had the need for any more traction than my turfs, diff lock and occasionally 4wd will supply. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags
I will be plowing on asphalt. It is mostly hills.
Can anyone out there compare the job a Kubota does VS an ATV at snow plowing?

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #5  
500 lb ATV vs 1200 lb BX doesn't even compare fairly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: The front blower is expen$ive, but, is definately worth it IMHO if you are on asphalt.

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #6  
My little JD tractor has turf tires with chains in winter and it does fine with the snowblower. I don't know how much an ag tire would help hecause you are on ice so much of teh time you need traction. Chains do more IMO

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #7  
I plowed with my BX and FEL for 3 years without tire chains. I used 250 pounds of weight on the 3pt hitch, and the tractor did fine. I have since added chains, and it works even better. I don't think I would use chains on a blacktop driveway, though.
If you are used to plowing with an ATV, the BX will be a great improvement. Try it with your turf tires, I don't think you will notice much of a difference with ags on pavement.
Will

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #8  
I have a BX1500 with turf tires and a FEL for snow removal on blacktop. I have not had an issue but then I don't have much of a hill to deal with. From past experience the ag tires will help a little but would not feel it would be all that much of an improvement unless you have piles of $'s sitting around. If I were you and the hills were fairly small, I would wait to buy anything until after giving it a try with what you have. As mentioned, adding a little weight to the rear would certainly help.

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #9  
I use my FEL to do my 650 foot (flat) gravel with. Turfs and a weight box with 250 pounds of sand in it.

In 4wd I can push fluffy snow forever with the tractor. In wet snow at some point you can feel the tractor struggling trying to push it. So with a blade angled I'd bet you could easily push snow with just some added rear ballast.

From a cost stand point a ballast box is under 150. Chains are more like 250 for all 4. A blower (rear) is around 1400 and the front blower is like 2500 (ouch)

Williamsport probably gets a few good snows a winter but I'd guess (compared to me) not too bad. You should be ok with just ballast on the 3pt.

/ BX2230 plowing snow. Turfs vs. Ags #10  
The ATV is a PAIN to drive compared to the tractor.