BX23 ~1000 hrs

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs #1  

HomeBrew2

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Not a big deal but wanted to chime in because ... who knows ...

Bought "baby" in Dec'04, new. Did regular service my self. No real probs otherwise.

In the attached pic, note a cord holding the air filter in position. It has been happy for some time now, so am I.

Just changed the motor oil. Have been using Delo 15-40w right along.

May change hydro oil tomorrow or, soon. Been running filter change at 200 hrs and oil chg at 400 hrs.

I only hose her off prior to doing servicing. Yep, never waxed, etc.

ALL lubing happens when I feel like it w/ Stalube moly extreme pressure grease ... try not to go more than 100 hrs though. For the record, no bucket-flop or other goofy stuff.

Everything just works like it did new. That's why I bought a Kubota.

All my junky attachments that I cobbled together, ie, pallet forks, brush forks, BH thumb, gauge wheels, etc, etc, are all alive and well and providing their intended service when called upon.

A man just has to know how to maximize a small machine :)

Life is good.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 600
   / BX23 ~1000 hrs #3  
home brew man thats sweet !!!
i kinda miss mine at times but love the b3030. I think kubota makes some of the best stuff out there for the price and size. i was real happy my bx till i out grew it. I think one day as my business grows i might buy another to get in those tight spots. I am sure icould have learned to use a BH on a larger machine but the bx was perfect for me to learn on and i sure miss that flip around seat even though it was a little sticky.
congrats man and i bet it goes at least another 1000

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs #4  
Man, I'm just coming up on my 300! It's obvious I ain't getting enough seat time. Course I'm splitting it with 2 other machines but thats beside the fact. :D

Unless things change, I expect I'll reach 1000 hrs in about 7 more yrs or so :D :D

In the short amount of hrs I've got, the only problems of note was ummm, ahhh, well none!

I follow the recommended service intervals and use "Genuine" kubota materials, but thats just me.
Course theres nothing like a good ole 1000 hr testimony to show that theres more than one way to skin a cat. :D

Good post, many others will take note, me included :D

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs
Great to hear from all you gents!

Tom: Fortunately or unfortunately, due to your probs of late, I'm taking catastrophic leaks seriously. I've never been too impressed w/ everybody elses reports. Again, thanks for the headsup.

Workin... : If there was anyone that knew how to work a BX, it's you. If I had paying customers, I have bought a 3030 in a heartbeat too! ... and would be thinking about the next bigger one ;)

Volf: Agreed, BX23, no worries mate! I'd guess I'd have 1500 hrs by now if it weren't for my ranch truck, dump trailer, offroad golf cart and old MTD 16/42 lawn tractor. The "other" machines just make for more fun!

I got the hydro serviced today. Same as usual: oil looks just like new, a very small amount of small chips on the sump screen. I'll have to work it some to see if the hydro is a bunch quieter, as it usually is after a filter change. I may got to filt chg at 100 hrs and keep oil at 400.

Also checked the valve lash. All accepted a .006" feeler but not a .007" ... except one that took a .008" feeler easily. I tightened it to .006".
Notes:
The shank below the threads on the glow plugs is a very tight fit in the head and requires yanking.
The valve cover requires real yanking to remove once the nuts are off.
There are little copper washers under the valve cover nuts. I didn't realize that and got to make 2 (out of 3) new ones. They fell to somewhere ... and the diesel motor that can destroy and air filter bracket due to vibration, could not rattle the them free from whereever.

Now I'm considering actually changing BOTH fuel filters. I only changed the rear one at 400 hrs. But, after reading Escavader's probs doing same, I'm apprehensive ... ambivelent ... and now bordering on apathetic ;)

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs
I got both fuel filters changed. Have fingers crossed, but so far, it started and runs fine. The front one was only as bad as I had hoped but not as bad as I had planned for ... wish I had teeny tiny hands.

I drove it around a while: As I, and others, have mentioned in past threads, changing of the hydro filter is like night and day regarding the "whine" and general hydro noise. I will either move to every 100 hrs or maybe 150 for the filter.

Under carriage (all things under tractor) cleaning note: When I service, I spend a bit of time spraying the under carriage but, only via squatting and reaching under and spraying up underneith, blindly. During service today, I noticed a wad of dirt stuck to the frame, etc above the top of the hydro fan. While de-greasing the diesel from the filter change, I layed on the ground and specifically sprayed off that whole area. ... should have paid attention to that in days gone by. Danno, take a note.

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs #7  
SALUTE to the implement king!!! :D

I will hit 500 hours this month. Was gonna check valve lash at 600 (gotta a ticky lifter). Did you put a new cover gasket on?

Russell in Texas

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs
Howdy Russell
I didn't change the gasket as it is an o-ring type recessed into the cover. I could definately feel it compress as I tightened the 3 nuts. Seems good to go and no leaks ... yet

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs #9  
I'm not to far behind you with 830 hours on my BX23 purchased new in Sept. 2004.

HomeBrew2 said:
Not a big deal but wanted to chime in because ... who knows ...

Bought "baby" in Dec'04, new. Did regular service my self. No real probs otherwise.

In the attached pic, note a cord holding the air filter in position. It has been happy for some time now, so am I.

Just changed the motor oil. Have been using Delo 15-40w right along.

May change hydro oil tomorrow or, soon. Been running filter change at 200 hrs and oil chg at 400 hrs.

I only hose her off prior to doing servicing. Yep, never waxed, etc.

ALL lubing happens when I feel like it w/ Stalube moly extreme pressure grease ... try not to go more than 100 hrs though. For the record, no bucket-flop or other goofy stuff.

Everything just works like it did new. That's why I bought a Kubota.

All my junky attachments that I cobbled together, ie, pallet forks, brush forks, BH thumb, gauge wheels, etc, etc, are all alive and well and providing their intended service when called upon.

A man just has to know how to maximize a small machine :)

Life is good.
Cheers!

/ BX23 ~1000 hrs
LBrown59 said:
I'm not to far behind you with 830 hours on my BX23 purchased new in Sept. 2004.

"Not to far" = ~170 hrs total deficit for you to date; = ~ 8 hrs monthly deficit for you overall.

Many folks have a lot more hrs than me in a shorter time. I was simply reporting on observations of machine integrity and continued satisfaction with machine, circumstances and attachemnts. On second thought ... catch me if you can :D