BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
While trying to dig out a tree stump, I had the idle at max speed. I had been at it for 1/2 hour when the engine suddenly slowed for 10 seconds then went back to normal. As the engine slowed, so did the BH speed. This continued for the rest of the day. I shut the BX23 down at one point for a few minuted and it starts up fine, but the problem begins again. The speed can drop for 20 seconds or 5 seconds the next time. At times I thought the engine was going to shut off or stall, then it would go back to normal. I wouldn't say the engine was sputtering. Can it be the fuel filter> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing #2  
Sure sounds like the fuel filter.

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing #3  
That's my guess also.

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing #4  
I have had this same problem and never really figured it out my thought is fuel filter also. But it has happen to me while driveing up a hill or just driveing with a full tank of fuel. But I did metion it to the dealer and there answer was to stop and the let the machine regain to normal operating speed. Does not sound like the answer to me if its happeing to other people it appears to be a problem.

Marc
Hudson,NH
BX-23

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing #5  
I'd bet there is water in the fuel filter. Same symptoms I experienced on my BX2200. I just removed the filter, shook the water out & put it back on. Haven't had a problem since. A new filter might be recommended, but if there is water in the tank, the problem will be right back. You can clearly see the water in the BX filter. I don't think the water can get past the filter, but neither can fuel when there is water in the filter. It only take a teaspoon or so to cause the problem you describe. Note there are two filters. Check them both!

/ BX23 the engine kept powers up and down will BHing
Thanks for the help. I wonder with the high fuel prices, someone is adding water for a little more profit.

Will change the fuel filter and see what happens.

As always, thank you TBN posters.