Tires BX23 Tires

/ BX23 Tires #1  

tomtractor

Tractor
B2650, RTV900XT
I have a BX23 with 1400+ hours. I want to replace the tires. I'm currently running the OEM lug tires. Does anyone have a comparison between the lug tires and the R4 tread design? I know the BX24 went to the R4 design.

I use the BX for lawn care in the summer and snow plowing the driveway and barn areas in the winter. I've never had weighted tires or snow chains and have only been stuck once in 4 years. I'm looking for something that will be easier on the lawn without having to have 2 sets of tires.

BTW. The BX has done EVERYTHING I've asked of it from digging water lines, loading dump trailers, clearing irrigation ditches to throwing snow. The biggest problem is keeping up with the service when racking up the hours like I have.
Tom

/ BX23 Tires #2  
tom,
on my BX23 I had what I believe Kubota called BAR tires, similar to AG's, but different. Is that the tire your referring to when you say OEM lug? If so, I believe they are the best for all around use, I never have gotten stuck using the backhoe or blowing snow in our Northeast winters. Now I have a B3200 with R4's, loaded tires all the way around. I still do not get stuck but I do notice the difference in traction between the two difference tires. My advice to you would be replace them with BAR's for all of your tasks, you'll be happy.
DevilDog

/ BX23 Tires #3  
My BX2200 had the bar tire and used my tractor pretty much like you describe. When I decided to get a new BX2660, I wanted the bar tires, but the salesman suggested I try the R4 and if I didn't like them I could change out. To my surprise, I have been very well pleased with the results. I don't "normally" run in the mud, but have done so with both tractors. Theoretically the bar tires should do much better, but you really can't get up enough wheel speed to clean them out much and clog up almost as much as the R4 depending on the mud. You will get a little more traction in some muddy conditions, but for me the difference is insignificant and I will replace with R4's.

Just my experience.

/ BX23 Tires #4  
Kubota uses a unique version of R1 and R4. They uses Titan and OTR as oem makers. It is interesting seeing the tires on Massey's and NH others post here. I do not know who they use for their OEM tire maker.

The thought is that R1 have the most grip, but R4 are preferred for their sidewall strength, puncture resistance and general performance.

The opinions and countless threads here on TBN only proves there are three tires offered on the Kubota, but 1000's of varying opinions of them all.

When turning on grass, when wet, or with FEL weight, or worst of all, with 4x4 engaged, all tires can potentially mark up grass.

/ BX23 Tires #5  
tomtractor, looks like you've got alot of use from those OEM tires, gives us all hope for similar longevity :D

Unless theres been a recent change, you'll not be able to find a set of R4's to fit the std BX23 (00 & 30 series) front rims. The newer 50 & 60 series BX's went to a taller front rim which is the same size as the other SCUT manufacturer's which enables the newer BX's the same tire options as the competition, which includes R4's. From what I've been able to determine, you'll have to stay with either the Bars or go with Turfs with the BX23's OEM front wheels.
I do more finish mowing on my BX23 than anything else and I much prefer the Turfs but, I don't have to deal with snow either.... I will say that the Turfs are about useless in soft mud...
With all that said, there is good news. There has been quite a few 00 and 30 series BX owners that have successfully swapped their front wheels with the newer OEM BX fronts and run the R4's without any fitment problems. The only minor problem comes when the newer R4's are cut to max turn where the "may" make contact w/the front of the 60" MMM. They say if it does occur to just not make hard cuts in turning.

My BX23 came w/Bars and I found a practically new set of mounted Turfs on CL for $225. The fellow I purchased them from went to the new style fronts so he could run R4's on his BX2200 was very happy with them.

There are some dealers that will sell you a full brand new set of tires and wheels mounted and ready to go @ around $300 - $400. You may want to check w/your local Kubota dealer (or two) and get some prices. I'm told they are cheaper since they are "wholesale goods".
Good luck

/ BX23 Tires #7  
x2 on just ordering new tire/rim assemblies from dealer through whole goods.
As stated, as cheap as just finding tires for mounting alone.