BX23 vs. B7800

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
Beginning to look for a tractor. Just bought a house on six acres. Will have 300 ft. of gravel road to maintain. Will also be putting on an addition - will have to excavate about an area 25' x 35'. Also, will need to do some clearing to put some trails in the forest behind the property. Eventually use for some minor hobby farm work. Possibly put in a small pond? Who knows...

Was thinking that a B7800 was about the size I needed, but the BX23/24/25 seem to be much less expensive than a B7800 size machine. Will the smaller BX series do the job?

Last edited:
   / BX23 vs. B7800 #2  
Beginning to look for a tractor. Just bought a house on six acres. Will have 300 ft. of gravel road to maintain. Will also be putting on an addition - will have to excavate about an area 25' x 35'. Also, will need to do some clearing to put some trails in the forest behind the property. Eventually use for some minor hobby farm work. vntually put in a small pond? Who knows...

Was thinking that a B7800 was about the size I needed, but the BX23/24/25 seem to be much less expensive than a B7800 size machine. Will the smaller BX series do the job?
A BX25 will not be cheaper than a B7800 discontinued tractor. Are you talking new or used? Are you talking a B7800 with a back hoe? I've had a B7800 and now have a BX25. These are not really comparable tractors. The BX23/24/25 has a BH and lower ground clearance if that's an issue. I use mine alot for moving rocks around and digging holes for trees and other holes. The B7800 with FEL will be a good around home tractor for moving stuff but without BH won't be much for digging holes. Maybe you were planning on getting it with a Back Hoe and if so it will dig a bit better than the BX25.
For major excavation work I'd recommend hiring some one with a machine made for excavating. It will do it in a few hours to your days or weeks. I actually have a man coming to do some work for me with a track machine. Some of what I need him to do I can't do, move car size rocks and part of what I'm having him do is really dangerous hillside clearing that he can do safely and in a couple of hours and would take me, with tightened spincter muscles, days to do. It's worth the $90 per hour to have him do it, safely and quickly.
I'm sure others will give their opinions but you need to clarify a few issues of the new or used and BH on both machines.

/ BX23 vs. B7800
A BX25 will not be cheaper than a B7800 discontinued tractor. Are you talking new or used? Are you talking a B7800 with a back hoe? I've had a B7800 and now have a BX25. These are not really comparable tractors. The BX23/24/25 has a BH and lower ground clearance if that's an issue. I use mine alot for moving rocks around and digging holes for trees and other holes. The B7800 with FEL will be a good around home tractor for moving stuff but without BH won't be much for digging holes. Maybe you were planning on getting it with a Back Hoe and if so it will dig a bit better than the BX25.
For major excavation work I'd recommend hiring some one with a machine made for excavating. It will do it in a few hours to your days or weeks. I actually have a man coming to do some work for me with a track machine. Some of what I need him to do I can't do, move car size rocks and part of what I'm having him do is really dangerous hillside clearing that he can do safely and in a couple of hours and would take me, with tightened spincter muscles, days to do. It's worth the $90 per hour to have him do it, safely and quickly.
I'm sure others will give their opinions but you need to clarify a few issues of the new or used and BH on both machines.

Yes, I'm only considering used. Also, definately would get the backhoe w/ it.

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #4  
B7800 is a much better choice for forest work due to the increased ground clearance and lack of transmission cooling fan. I may be biased since I own a B7800 - but have found it very good for a wide variety of jobs.
Mike

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #5  
I just purchased a used B7500 with a FEL / Mower . I came very close to buying a BX , but I was concerned with ground clearance issues and lift capacity of the 3 point hitch .

After having the tractor for 1 week I am very Happy with my decision . With the FEL off the tractor it becomes a very maneuverable mowing machine and with the mower off and the FEL on it is a very versatile tractor . Both implements are well designed and fairly easy to take on and off .

Best of luck in your search .

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #6  
If you look at a lot of tractors a 5HP increase is a huge jump. A 5HP increase will most times jump you to the next size larger tractor. 5 HP doesn't sound like much but in the world of tractors it sure seems to be.

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #7  
Can't beat JOHNTHOMAS' advice he has had them all. I have several tractors, but sometimes, it is better to just pay a professional.

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #8  
I'll just throw out my opinion.

Since you didn't mention mowing or wanting a MMM I'd consider jumping up a size and looking @ the L2800 and L3400.

I'm not sure where they compair on price for used units but given the tasks you listed, I think you'd be much better off.

Sure the tractors you mentioned will do the tasks you want, but the 2800/3400 is just a little better suited for those tasks and will get done a good bit faster IMO.

/ BX23 vs. B7800 #9  

I agree!!! If you own a 16oz hammer (even if it's the nicest hammer on the planet) You don't use it to cut down trees. I thought I could do "real" excavating with a 45 horse Kubota until I gave up and hired someone with a Cat 963 - They literally did in 10 minutes pushing out stumps what would have taken me DAYS to do. This analogy seems stretched but it is not - A trackloader is hundreds of times faster on some jobs than a small tractor - That being said, try to mow your grass with a 963!