BX23 won't start

/ BX23 won't start #11  
Re: BX23 won\'t start

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The other thing is you could put a weight in the seat when you get off the tractor after it is running )</font>

You can pull the seatbelt over the seat and then sit down when you get up the belt keeps the seat switch depressed.

/ BX23 won't start #12  

Check the switch with an ohm meter, see if you have continuity with the switch in a closed position. This would be a quick check and you'll more than likely have to remove it from the tractor.

/ BX23 won't start

Gentlemen,

I like all of your ideas, " put weigh on the seat, using the seat belt to keep the seat down while getting off...etc..." Of course this is temporary solution till the dealer comes...

Junkman, I think you are on the right track, there maybe some water got in the PTO switch, a hair dryer may do the trick, or I may have to use the paper clip method to short it out.

I will try to get to the switch and check it out if it still toggles, I will keep you folks updated. Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas, I love this site.

Alex

/ BX23 won't start

Folks,

The weather just barely breaks 40 degrees but the sun is shining so I'm feeling pretty good and motivated.

Started to look into this no start problem again, I went under the tractor and examined the HST pedal, sure enough the return neutral lever was not in a good position to depress the neutral switch, it missed the neutral switch completely. Had to move the switch over a bit to make it function again. The tractor is happy now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you folks with BX tractors will run to this problem a lot. If I ever get around, I will glue a piece of metal using some type of durable epoxy, this is to guide the lever from missing the switch. The lever seems to have way too much play in it.

Alex

/ BX23 won't start #15  

How about a picture of that. I looked under and I was not able to recognize anything that looked like that.

/ BX23 won't start

Hey Scrouger,

If you are under the tractor, reach and press the HST pedal a couple of times, you will see a long rod that connected to the HST pedal, at the other end of the rod you will see a lever that goes away and return to seat on the switch when the HST pedal is back at neutral, it is a bit hard to see, for better view you need to remove the HST pedal return spring.

Good luck,
Alex

/ BX23 won't start #17  

It must be the PTO switch if it dies when you get off the seat and the engine is running. Take the wifes hair drier and see if you put some heat on the switch area if it might help. I am thinking that if some water got into the switch, it might be frozen and that is the problem. The other thing is you could put a weight in the seat when you get off the tractor after it is running.. If you can unplug the switch, then use a paper clip to jump the two wires until the dealer can fix it for you.

I have a BX23S and when I would go down a hill or up the hill the motor would shut off. It would restart but then do the same thing again. I found it was the switch under the seat. When you go down hill you shift on the seat which takes pressure off the switch and shuts the motor down. I solved it by putting about a quarter of an inch of Velcro sticky on the bottom of the seat to push on the button. Works Great.
Now I was using my tractor last night and it was just caked with mud so I decided to pressure wash it. I shut the motor off and cleaned it up but when I went to move it, it would not start. It had power and all the instruments worked but nothing to the starter. I played with it for about an hour and what I discovered is the small wire that goes to the solenoid was loose. When I touched it, it came right off. I pushed the wire back on to the clip and hit the key and it fired right up. Problem solved.

/ BX23 won't start #18  

I have a BX23S and when I would go down a hill or up the hill the motor would shut off. It would restart but then do the same thing again. I found it was the switch under the seat. When you go down hill you shift on the seat which takes pressure off the switch and shuts the motor down. I solved it by putting about a quarter of an inch of Velcro sticky on the bottom of the seat to push on the button. Works Great.
Now I was using my tractor last night and it was just caked with mud so I decided to pressure wash it. I shut the motor off and cleaned it up but when I went to move it, it would not start. It had power and all the instruments worked but nothing to the starter. I played with it for about an hour and what I discovered is the small wire that goes to the solenoid was loose. When I touched it, it came right off. I pushed the wire back on to the clip and hit the key and it fired right up. Problem solved.

That post is from 2005

/ BX23 won't start #19  

Yea, it’s an old thread. But having a similar problem and am glad I found this thread. Now I know what to try.