BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #1  

Samwise

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
The smaller BXs just don't have the weight / hydraulic down force in any 3-point hitch mounted implement I know of to dig out rocks / stumps / buried pipe / etc. My property is very rocky and box blade tines do very little (I didn't spend the money for a BX backhoe version for this reason - post hole augers have difficulty as well). Please don't tell me to get a bigger tractor. The BX is sized right for getting around and mowing. I resort to the neighbor who has commercail sized backhoes and excavators when I have to but for smaller projects I was wondering if anyone has a good idea for a heavy single claw mounted in the rear.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #2  
By claw to you mean something to grip and lift objects or a tooth like subsoiler to pull rocks out?

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2
Tooth - freeing an object from the grip of the soil. What is subsoiler?

Looking that up now. That might be what I am looking for - a single tine implement for the 3-point hitch. This will be better than the multi-tine box blade but effectiveness still limited by weight. So one of these with added weight maybe. Its a lead.

Yes I think that is what I was after - just needed to know what the thing was called. Thanks oldnslo - good username. Nothing beats working on your own place at your own pace.

Last edited:
   / BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #4  
As far as weight, be creative. Find a way to add a little extra weight to your implements. Railroad Iron?

I ended up with a couple of loop wheel weights that have come in handy for looping over anything that sticks up. :)

There are quite a few single subsoilers/rippers available, although it may depend a bit on your tractor HP.

Same thing with your box blade. Find a way to add some weight to it.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #5  
I might also add that if the wheels spin, then adding weight to the wheels helps. There are both steel/iron wheel weights, as well as it is very common to add liquid to the tires. Lots of discussion of liquid filled tires (water, beet juice, calcium, rimguard, etc).

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2
All good ideas. I downloaded the Bush Hog catalog and it says 35 hp per tine up to 85. Not sure why the requirement. The BX is too small (23 hp) for every model even the smallest. If it fits your hitch use it (within reason) I say. Not enough power just means it won't move - so cut more roots or don't go as deep.

I'll figure out how to add weight to that. Easy to add weights to the tractor front end. Liquid in the tires was an obsession when I bought my BX but considering the size of the front tires doesn't seem to be worth it for a subcompact.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #7  
For the BX size tractor you could also look at a middle buster or potatoe plow. These are frequently sized for use on smaller tractors. Some will have a shear pin others do not. I think everything attachments has a potato plow with option of single point like subsoiler shank.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #8  
Few comments: there is no downward hydraulic force with your 3 pt (unless you are using something like a backhoe attachment. ) A subsoiler is one big spike used for digging very deep and narrow trenches. A typical subsoiler stuck in the ground will make a great anchor for your BX and it won't go anywhere. I doubt that anyone uses a BX for subsoiling -- really the territory for large tractors intending to break up soil down under the surface , hence the name of the thing. None of the above (BX nor subsoiler) are the right tools for stumps either. That leaves dislodging rocks in your list of things to do. So I will obey your request and not mention that you need a bigger tractor, a lot bigger.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #9  
Tractor implements are rated by power.

IP6006.04.jpg

You're probably looking for Cat 0 or Cat 1 depending on the 3 pt hitch size.

/ BX2370 Claw? - Custom Implement 2 #10  
There are stump buckets that are designed for digging under stumps. However, your Kubota may have troubles digging into much, so it might help for some digging, but may not be particularly effective in hard soil.

If you don't have a quick disconnect on your bucket, you'll have to have an implement very specific for your bucket, and it will be a pain to swap.

124127_01.jpg

A winch may be effective for pulling small trees up to a couple inches in diameter.