BX2380 PTO Stopped Working

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Was using my 2380 to mow grass with the mmm and after approximately 45 minutes of mowing the PTO disengaged by itself, lever still in the engaged position. I tried a few times to disengage and engage but nothing. Tried rear PTO or both mid and rear PTO also and nothing is working. It didn’t make any abnormal noises and the mid and tear PTO shafts turn smoothly by hand. Verified the linkage is free and moves freely. Tractors has 608 hours and the trans has been serviced beyond what Kubota calls for.
Could the engaging valve be clogged or bad PTO clutch?
Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?
Thanks

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #2  
Not seen this with any of my Kubotas nor couple of others I work on. First guess is linkage came apart from the engagement lever. Doubt seriously that there is anything wrong inside the tractor.

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #3  
If the PTO stub rotates freely (engaged or disengaged), that indicates the PTO clutch brake is shot. Why I always use an over running coupler on my big Kubota's. Kubota's PTO clutch brake is marginal, especially when you 'freewheel' it with an implement. The clamping pressure is adjustable however.

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working
The linkage is all connected and the hydraulic valve is turning so at this point I’m leaning towards a clogged orifice inside on the hydraulic valve.

The pto brake is working correctly, I wasn’t clear in my original post but the pto shafts turn freely when not selected. If the selector is set to mid pto then the rear turns freely.

This photo shows the hydraulic valve and the small flow orifices. It is extremely simple to remove, EXCEPT 1/3 of it is blocked by the frame rail. The transmission has to be removed to get it out. Work is crazy busy right now but looks like I’m a few weeks I’ll be tearing the transmission out of the BX.

IMG_6290.JPG

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #6  
Does the service manual have a procedure for checking PTO hydraulic pressure? I would suggest starting there before tearing the tractor apart since possible pressure reducing or PTO relief have failed limiting pressure to the PTO clutch causing it to not lock up fully.

Does the service manual have a procedure for checking PTO hydraulic pressure? I would suggest starting there before tearing the tractor apart since possible pressure reducing or PTO relief have failed limiting pressure to the PTO clutch causing it to not lock up fully.

Yes, it does. I’m working on getting the correct gauge and fittings together and hopefully can check the pressure this weekend.

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #8  
I believe the clamping pressure on my M9's is 2250 psi. Mine takes a special fitting and a liquid filled gage to determine the clamp pressure. Motion Industries has the gage and the fitting and I have it in my toolbox. Do keep in mind that the wet linings in both the PTO pack as well as the PTO brake pack are not very thick so if it's slipping, chances are the linings have been compromised already. You don't even want to know what replacing the friction discs involves. Lets just say it involves splitting the unit as both wet packs are not accessible without a split. You can see them if you remove the rear cover on the backside of the gearbox but you cannot get to them.

The pressure on the BX is only 150-180 psi so I was able to get away with a standard gauge. Parts will be here this week and planning to check pressure this weekend. Agree though if there has been any slippage the lining are shot. No slippage was noticed previously and it just “shut off”.

/ BX2380 PTO Stopped Working #10  
The pressure on the BX is only 150-180 psi so I was able to get away with a standard gauge. Parts will be here this week and planning to check pressure this weekend. Agree though if there has been any slippage the lining are shot. No slippage was noticed previously and it just “shut off”.
Just shut off is strange since once engaged there should just be static pressure to the clutch. Hopefully a simple inexpensive fix.