BX23MLB Fluid Volumes

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #1  

gdrew

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h
Hi, my 94 year old neighbour across the street asked me to help him service his Kubota BX23 (2004). I think he is having trouble finding his manual or is getting his information mixed up.

a) We did the engine oil/filter today and he advised me that it would 2.5 litres of oil which is the amount he had. After running the engine briefly then shutting it off we let it settle for a few minutes. I checked the dipstick and it was half way between the marks so ran home and got some of my oil to top it up. Just curious if anyone can tell me what the actual volume the engine takes?

b) Next up is the HST oil and filter change. He's going to the dealer next week to grab the supplies but I don't want him to come up short, so also wondering if anyone can tell me the volume of oil the HST tranny/hydraulics take?

c) Lastly, how much gear oil the front axle takes so he gets the correct amount of that too.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #2  
I'm sure the dealer has all that information on hand and would be happy to sell him the required fluid and filters.

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #4  
Running the engine briefly, then checking the oil immediately after does not allow time for the cold oil to settle into the pan. Best to check the oil after an hour or so to give cold oil a chance to settle.
I personally either check the oil stone cold after sitting for a while, or get the machine up to operating temp and shut it off for a few minutes before checking.
Nice of you to help out your neighbor!

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes
Thanks seville009, that's exactly what I needed to share with the old fella.

One more question, if you happen to know the location of the HST & Hydraulic oil dipstick? I found the HST oil filler cap tucked way up behind the backhoe and I'm pretty sure I located the drain plug and strainer screen from a YouTube video but we looked and looked and couldn't find the elusive dipstick. The old fella was quite frustrated with himself because he said he's used that dipstick in the past but can't remember where he saw it.

Cheers!

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #6  
Thanks seville009, that's exactly what I needed to share with the old fella.

One more question, if you happen to know the location of the HST & Hydraulic oil dipstick? I found the HST oil filler cap tucked way up behind the backhoe and I'm pretty sure I located the drain plug and strainer screen from a YouTube video but we looked and looked and couldn't find the elusive dipstick. The old fella was quite frustrated with himself because he said he's used that dipstick in the past but can't remember where he saw it.

Cheers!

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes
   / BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #8  
www.kubotabooks.com

Go to the model and the owners manual as well as the shop manual should be there. I never bothered spending the 300 bucks for a hardcover (3 ring binder) WSM for my M9's. I just downloaded the PDF's and left a small donation.

/ BX23MLB Fluid Volumes
Little late getting back here but happy to report the fluid changes have been going well for the most part. Here is what I found on the strainer screen for the HST and hydraulic oil, before and after cleaning pictures. Does that look like the normal amount of gunk to you?

Also, when doing the oil change on the front differential I thought the manual said it would take more than 4.5 litres of 80w90 oil. I put in three litres and it was way over full so I ended up draining out 1/2 of a litre and it appears to right on the mark after driving it on a couple of short runs.

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_150140.jpg
    IMG_20211206_150140.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20211206_145844.jpg
    IMG_20211206_145844.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
   / BX23MLB Fluid Volumes #10  
Looks to be about average. Clean it in mineral spirits or diesel and reinstall it. If it has a copper sealing washer, you might want to replace it. Your local discount auto parts store will have various sizes.