BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket?

/ BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket? #11  
I just finalized the purchase of a new BX24 and during discussion with the dealer, I asked about bucket size.

His reply was that he always sold his tractors with a 12 inch bucket as he didn't feel the 8 inch was big enough for general use.

/ BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket? #12  
TractorChip said:
I just finalized the purchase of a new BX24 and during discussion with the dealer, I asked about bucket size.

His reply was that he always sold his tractors with a 12 inch bucket as he didn't feel the 8 inch was big enough for general use.

EXACTLY what my dealer told me as well - I have yet to hit a task where I needed the smaller - but there are times when a larger one would be handy....:D

/ BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket? #13  
offcamber said:
how is the bucket measured...the one on my BX is 11" across....trying to figure out what size bucket it has
My BX 23 has a 10 inch BH bucket but like yours it measures 11 inchs across.
I wanted a 12 inch bucket when I bought the bx23 but it came in with the 10'' so I went ahead and took it thinking I would get a 12 inch later .
As it turns out the 10 '' one is fine and i have no need to go for a 12''.

/ BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket? #14  
Mine came with the 12" and I recommend it like the others here. Unless you're primarily digging small trenches, I can't imagine what advantage the smaller bucket offers. A lot of rocks I've picked up with the 12" wouldn't fit in the 8".

When I need something smaller than 12" I generally need something a LOT smaller than 12" and would probably rent a ditchwitch or trencher rather than use an 8" bucket anyway.

Congratulations on the BX24! You'll love it.

/ BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket? #15  
offcamber said:
how is the bucket measured...the one on my BX is 11" across....trying to figure out what size bucket it has

I have a Woods BH6000 on my BX2200. The Gannon bucket that they classify as 12" is 11" from side to side of the bucket, BUT the outer teeth are angled outward such that each extends 1/2". Measuring from outside tooth edge to the other outside tooth edge is 12". When the teeth rip through the ground, they cut a 12" swath. Don't know if yours is the same, but this apparently is how they classify mine as 12".

As far as which bucket, I have a 12" and a 9". I don't find a lot of difference. Both dig in the clay when it's damp. Both dig with difficulty in hardpan when the pan has been covered with water for weeks. Both scratch through dry clay with difficulty. Neither can dig in dry hardpan at all. The Bro-tek ripper can scratch through the hardpan when dry.

Last edited:
   / BX24 - 8 or 12" BH bucket?
I went with the 12" and it is great. After about 30 stumps I have not needed a ripper tooth.