BX24 Blown Engine

/ BX24 Blown Engine #51  
Why would they not give you the old parts back??? They belong to the owner. If I didn't get my parts back when asked, I'd scream!!!!

/ BX24 Blown Engine #52  
Ask for the damaged parts, not that they will give them up!

Why would they not give you the old parts back??? They belong to the owner. If I didn't get my parts back when asked, I'd yell...real loud!!!!

/ BX24 Blown Engine #53  
Taiser said:
Why would they not give you the old parts back??? They belong to the owner. If I didn't get my parts back when asked, I'd yell...real loud!!!!

You are only entitled to the used / old parts when you are paying for the repair. The reason that I suggested that he try to get them, is if he has a problem later on, the old parts, pictures, and the repair order showing the parts used will show exactly what the repair was that they had done. That way, they can't say that they rebuilt the entire engine, when they only did a patch job. I wouldn't put it past any service department to pad the invoice that is submitted for warranty reimbursement so they can make up the lost money because of the differential of what the factory pays and the customer pays for labor rates. An example would be to charge for a engine bearing and reuse the old bearing. The proper way to do that job would be to remove the crankshaft and set it up on a crankshaft grinder and read the lobes with a dial indicator to determine if the shaft is bent. I doubt that they would do that procedure. If the crankshaft is bent a few thousands of an inch, then it is going to eventually take out the main bearings. If this happens out of warranty, then the owner is out of luck. If it happens in warranty, then Kubota Corporate might say.... "What did you do to that engine to blow it up a second time." The repair will only be as good as the mechanic and how far the dealer is willing to go to verify that all is well before he puts it back together.
Dusty

/ BX24 Blown Engine #54  
It's too bad a customer has to anticipate these practices Dusty but you are absolutely right.

I had a clutch replaced in a B7100, was quoted a $650 estimate, and handed an $1100 bill. Dealer said "Oh well we replaced all seals, yada yada..." Paid the bill and was on my way.

Third time using the tractor the snow in my drive looked like a dalmation. Engine oil was dripping from the bell housing. Dealer said "it's this seal or that seal". I said nope, bill says you replaced them. Dealer said the crank is bent. I said it wasn't leaking when you took it. They picked it up, kept it three weeks and it was back in my drive one day when I got home from work. No bill, no phone calls, nothing. I stopped by the service dept. and the mechanic said he didn't know why it leaked. Put in another seal. Was it replaced the first time? I wondered.

/ BX24 Blown Engine #55  
Some rear main seals are part of the bell housing, and other times they are part of the block. If it is part of the bell housing, it is normal to replace them, if and when the bell housing is removed for service. It is also normal for them to let loose, if the person doing the work isn't familiar with the replacement procedure. You are lucky that the leak didn't ruin the clutch facing also. It takes a lot of force to bend a crankshaft, so I rarely ever consider that a possibility unless there has been some catastrophic failure, such as the BX24 engine being discussed in this Kubota forum. It is unconscionable to charge a customer $1100 after they were quoted $650. The normal is no more than 10% deviation, unless you contact the customer first and get an approval. In many states, they have regulations governing these type of overcharges. What good is an estimate if they don't have to abide by it?
Dusty

/ BX24 Blown Engine #56  
The discrepency was labor. I was quoted by a service manager that took ill & wasn't coming back. 2 something for parts and 8 hrs. labor @ $50/hr. turned into 15 hrs. labor. But as I stood at the service counter, my tractor had already left on the dealer's truck and was on the way to my house. What do ya do.

/ BX24 Blown Engine #57  
PlanMan said:
The discrepency was labor. I was quoted by a service manager that took ill & wasn't coming back. 2 something for parts and 8 hrs. labor @ $50/hr. turned into 15 hrs. labor. But as I stood at the service counter, my tractor had already left on the dealer's truck and was on the way to my house. What do ya do.

explode, get hold of the owner. i sit on the other side of the counter to where you sit and i still find this to be rediculouse. 15 hours to do a clutch on a b7100, they must be kidding, i can do a multi plate cluch on a 100hp tractor with a loader and cab on it in that amount of time. would like to see exactly what they did. and by the way when i do a clutch the rear main is always factored in. dont want to be going back in there again in a weeks time. i suspect the tech screwed up when he fitted the seal.