BX24 capabilities

/ BX24 capabilities #1  

ktmpat

I have been reading this site every night for the last two weeks trying to decide which tractor to purchase. Great site by the way!

I will be completely re-landscaping my house, to include new paver walkways, stone retaining walls, floor beds, excavating under my deck for a shed/storage space, removing/planting bushes, removing a few smaller to medium size stumps, installing a sprinkler system and starting over with all the grass. My property is about 1/2 acre. Also, I will be rebuilding our vacation cottage next year so I need a tractor for similar landscape work there, among other things. From my research it appears the BX24 would meet my needs. I致e also been reading many posts from members that are amazed/happy with it痴 abilities and have made notes as to the jobs it痴 been subjected too. I believe I have a new one: tearing down a cottage. Yes, in my quest to further justify the purchase I would like to use the BX24 to assist in tearing down my single story, 35x25 with 10x25 porch and 20x35 deck. The structure is all wood and sits on wood supports (no foundation).

Am I asking too much from this tractor?

My plan is to manually remove all the windows with a reciprocating saw, then use the backhoe to punch holes in the side of the cottage to reveal the studs, tie a chain around the studs and start pulling with the truck. After the cottage is down I would use the backhoe again to smash the bigger pieces. The loader would then be used to dump into the roll-offs. I watched the contractor tear down my neighbors cottage a few years ago. They used a large excavator and in two or three hits with the bucket the entire house was flattened. I知 not looking for that kind of results but would like to avoid having to rent a larger machine.

/ BX24 capabilities #2  
Sounds like you have everything planned well. I tore down a similar size building last year, but there were a gillion nails, both from storage inside and tearing off the roofing. Got three flats in 15 minutes, no kidding. $50 to fix the tires and $150 for a huge magnet

Other than that, the BX was an awesome implement of destruction... :)

/ BX24 capabilities
rdsaustintx - Thanks, looks like I missed something big, flat tires. That would spool the the day!

/ BX24 capabilities
here are a couple of pictures of the cottage that might help in determining my needs.

Attachments

• cottage_backJPG.jpg
    cottage_backJPG.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 504
  • cottage_front.JPG
    cottage_front.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 404
   / BX24 capabilities #5  
ktmpat said:
here are a couple of pictures of the cottage that might help in determining my needs.

I think it is just what you need. If you go any bigger it will make landscaping in tight areas difficult. It certainly can do what you say you want it for. It might take a little longer to dig some foundations or move some large piles of dirt around than a bigger one would, But I find I do a better job moving it in smaller amounts. The bucket will not hold a lot of scrap at one time when teraing down the cottage but none of the cuts really do. It certainly has the power to knock down the walls and dig out the post.

/ BX24 capabilities #7  
Singlecoil, what is a THUMB for the backshoe and frontloader?
Maybe Im stupied, but Im new in this, just bought a new BX24...happy happy1
Thanks,
sam

/ BX24 capabilities #9  
A word of warning with the bolt on thumbs. We've had customers who have had the thumb break loose and slide back breaking the hydraulic hose off the bucket cylinder. These really should be welded in place.

/ BX24 capabilities #10  
You can have the tires filled with foam and eliminate the flats. I personally don't like foam filled tires for all around use but with what you save doing this work yourself you can buy new tires when you're finished.