BX24 dead and buzzing ignition

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hopefully this is just a matter of a dead battery, although I've been using the tractor daily for months without any signs of a weakening battery. Battery is four years old. But, here's the issue. When I turn the key to the on position, the hour meter flashes symbols. Also, the fuel pump doesn't start, and the glow plugs don't glow. If I try to crank it, nothing happens. After turning the key back to the off position, an odd buzz happens in the dash. Below are links to two videos illustrating what I mean. Is this just a battery issue, or perhaps something deeper than that? Thanks.

Flashing display: May 4, 2;) - YouTube

Buzzing after shutting off key: May 4, 2;) - YouTube

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #2  
Apart from telling you to remove the ground cable from where it attaches to the engine block and polishing the cable and block surfaces to ensure a clean connection, you need to invest $10 to $15 in a cheap multi meter so you can take some meaningful measurements.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Mul...d=1&keywords=multimeter&qid=1588635353&sr=8-1

You could haul your battery to an auto supply place to be tested.

Also invest a little ina 12 volt test light

Dave M7040

Attachments

• Test light.jpg
    Test light.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
   / BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #3  
That buzzing is probably the starter relay. More than likely a dead battery. I agree on checking all grounding connections.

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #4  
Apart from telling you to remove the ground cable from where it attaches to the engine block and polishing the cable and block surfaces to ensure a clean connection, you need to invest $10 to $15 in a cheap multi meter so you can take some meaningful measurements.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Mul...d=1&keywords=multimeter&qid=1588635353&sr=8-1

You could haul your battery to an auto supply place to be tested.

Also invest a little ina 12 volt test light

Dave M7040
Yep, what he said!

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #5  
Charge the battery then take it to a battery shop to be load tested.

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #6  
Battery tenders are worth their weight in batteries

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #8  
There is a much quicker/easier place to start, start so to speak,,, Just use any handy good battery/some other vehicle and jump it with jumper cables. If it is a bad battery the thing will use it's glow plugs and then start normally. If not then you have some other problem. Those symptoms ( in your very good You Tubes) are a little strange (NOT like the common BX series failure to start issue for lack of good 12v at the solenoid trigger) so I vote for a dead battery.

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #9  
There is a much quicker/easier place to start, start so to speak,,, Just use any handy good battery/some other vehicle and jump it with jumper cables. If it is a bad battery the thing will use it's glow plugs and then start normally. If not then you have some other problem. Those symptoms ( in your very good You Tubes) are a little strange (NOT like the common BX series failure to start issue for lack of good 12v at the solenoid trigger) so I vote for a dead battery.
Not necessarily so. Ive tried starting a dead car battery by jumping, and I got nothing until I let it charge while other truck ran for about 15 minutes, and still it did not hav3 a strong start. It might take some time to charge dead cells. Better to swap out to a known good battery totally.

/ BX24 dead and buzzing ignition #10  
Not necessarily so. Ive tried starting a dead car battery by jumping, and I got nothing until I let it charge while other truck ran for about 15 minutes, and still it did not hav3 a strong start. It might take some time to charge dead cells. Better to swap out to a known good battery totally.

A lot of wasted effort until you have at least tried a simple jump.