BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!!

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #1  

Inky05

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Kubota L260
I was adding some 55 watt work lights on the ROPS. I tied them in to the tail lights so they would come on with the headlights. Put two on facing rearward... No problem... Added a third one facing forward... and poof... they went out... about ten to fifteen seconds later... the engine died.

Tried to re-start... and it would crank but not start...

Checked all the fuses... All GOOD...

Noticed that the hour/rpm meter wasn't working..

No turn signals...

Four ways worked...

No other lights would work...

re-checked the fuses... all GOOD...

??????? Scratched my head...??????

after fooling around for about a half hour... It finally started...

Tach was working...

Turn signals worked...

tried the headlights again... POOF... All lights / tach go out... About 15 seconds later... the engine dies...

Checked all fuses... GOOD????

fooled around as before... nothing...

Disconnected the battery overnight...

Re-connected this morning... still nothing....

Obviously something I did "reset" something last night... but WHAT?

...and HOW do I reset it again?????

Any clues????

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #2  
there maybe a thermal relay that resets on its own. Not sure. Reguardless, your overloading the circuit. You should not have more than 1-2 low wattage work lights on the BX. Its little dyno does not have amperage for a roll bar full of lights.

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!!
OK... it is obvious that I "overloaded" something in the electrical system...

That being said... isn't the job of the fuse to protect the circuit?

Why didn't the fuse blow???

Also, I know BXpanded sells the same wattage lights

All I need to know is how to make it whole again...

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #4  
It sounds like you blew a fuse or a fuseable link somewhere. Sorry, can't help you much on that front.

I run (4) 55w worklights simultaneously on my BX2350 which is the same powerplant as your BX24. I ran a dedicated 10 gauge, 2 conductor, fused cable directly to the battery. Oh, the normal head lights can be run at the same time as well.

Contrary to what Messick said, I'm pretty sure our series of machines uses an actual alternator, not a dynamo. The output of the alternator is 40 amps.

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #5  
OK... it is obvious that I "overloaded" something in the electrical system...

That being said... isn't the job of the fuse to protect the circuit?

Why didn't the fuse blow???

Also, I know BXpanded sells the same wattage lights

All I need to know is how to make it whole again...

I wish I could tell you how to correct your problem. Unfortunately, I can't help there, but I can confirm that the BX24's electrical system will handle three 55 watt lights if they are properly connected.

Thanks BXpanded,

I should have gone through a fused relay... but I saw how you recommend hooking them up and figured it would be OK...

none of that is relevant anymore... I just want to fix it and move on...

I'll get the Fluke on it tonight and at least find where the loss occurs.

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #7  
Thanks BXpanded,

I should have gone through a fused relay... but I saw how you recommend hooking them up and figured it would be OK...

none of that is relevant anymore... I just want to fix it and move on...

I'll get the Fluke on it tonight and at least find where the loss occurs.

You obviously did not hook them up the way we recommend!;) Good luck tracking down the problem.

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #8  
I was adding some 55 watt work lights on the ROPS. I tied them in to the tail lights so they would come on with the headlights.

There's a dedicated worklight circuit already wired on the tractor. No relays, etc. are needed.:thumbsup:

I tied them into the existing lights because I didn't want to go drilling for a switch...

No offense, but I think the Velcro mount leaves alot to be desired... I understand how it fits into your mission statement, though and I can appreciate that!

I am definitely not trying to spread the blame!

I know better than to do what I did :ashamed:

As I said, I just want to fix it and move on... I still have some back-filling to do around that pond I dug :thumbsup:

/ BX24 Electrical HELP!!!!! #10  
messicks, - the BX24 doesnt have the dyno alternator- it has the regular upgraded alternator. inky- sounds like you blew the relay. there are two- I don't know which ones are for the lights. its on the left side of the BX behind the mesh screen. Fuses protects the wiring if there is a short, and if you wondering why it didnt blow with too many light wattage, it may be a slow blow fuse, and if you keep what you were doing with the lights, then the fuse will eventually blow, not like the fast blow fuses.

If I were you, if the wiring looks ok, I would check the light switch. Take it out of the dash and inspect it closely. you may have a burned spot on the metal contacts inside the hazard/light switch that could explain your troubles.

Good luck tracing the wiring and find the trouble area. let me know if there is anything I can do to help. If you are still having trouble figureing out the issue, you might need a shop manaul.