BX24 PTO tiller

/ BX24 PTO tiller #11  
kdm0811,

FYI my looking around for a tiller for my BX2350 I have yet to talk to any sales personel, manfacturer etc. that have anywhere near suggested that a 48" tiller would be too big. However, some tiller manufacturers that come in 48" have two or three 48" models but some models are rated for much higher HP than you have.

Beyond a certain point I would think a tiller that's too big (but still 48") might do the job in some light soils...but if the soil is too rough the tiller starts "running the tractor" and things start to go on overload and that can get expensive.

I won't necessarily buy a new tiller but by looking at new ones it gives me an idea of what's out there in different tillers.

Paul

/ BX24 PTO tiller #12  
kdm0811,

FYI my looking around for a tiller for my BX2350 I have yet to talk to any sales personel, manfacturer etc. that have anywhere near suggested that a 48" tiller would be too big. However, some tiller manufacturers that come in 48" have two or three 48" models but some models are rated for much higher HP than you have.

Beyond a certain point I would think a tiller that's too big (but still 48") might do the job in some light soils...but if the soil is too rough the tiller starts "running the tractor" and things start to go on overload and that can get expensive.

I won't necessarily buy a new tiller but by looking at new ones it gives me an idea of what's out there in different tillers.

Paul
Here is my 48'' KK

100_2546.jpg

/ BX24 PTO tiller #13  
I have used a Woods GTC52 (52") on the back of my BX2230 a fair amount and it works just fine. I am in central VA also so I know all about the red clay you speak of. As long as you use the tiller when the ground has a little moisture in it and take your time then you should be ok. I can tell that the 52" beast is back there but the tractor handled it just fine (and in my opinion the extra weight was a good thing for the clay I was working in).

/ BX24 PTO tiller #14  
On page 15 of my Kubota Operators manual it states!

Maximum tilling width for BX24 is 42 inches.

And maximum weight 375 lbs.

DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE THAN KUBOTA?

/ BX24 PTO tiller #16  
The Bx24 3pt is rated for 661lbs, so why can one not use a tiller that is heavier than 375lbs.

If you are using a slip clutch that is adjusted correctly then also why can you not use a 48 or 54" tiller that is under the 3pt weight capacity.

/ BX24 PTO tiller #17  
The Bx24 3pt is rated for 661lbs, so why can one not use a tiller that is heavier than 375lbs.

If you are using a slip clutch that is adjusted correctly then also why can you not use a 48 or 54" tiller that is under the 3pt weight capacity.
The manual could be wrong like it has/ is been on fluid levels.

/ BX24 PTO tiller #18  
I recently bought a 48"KK for my BX1500. Power is not a problem. It works great at less than 1/3 throttle. Weight is not an issue either, especially with a FEL. I would agree that a middle buster would be a good idea for naturally consolidated soil though - easier on the machine.

Something else to consider... Make sure to shut down the PTO BEFORE lifting the 3PH. The driveshaft on a BX is very short creating extreme angles when in the raised position.

/ BX24 PTO tiller #19  
if kubota printed instructions for all the possible combinations of soil type, user experience, equipment manufacturer designs, etc. the manual would read like a dictionary. heck, most people don't even read the little thin one they do put out.

so, that means they have to be conservative and print specs that apply to the worst case scenario (most difficult soil, crappiest designed equipment, most ignorant owner, etc.) that is what you see in the book.

it is also cya for them so they don't have to pay lots of warranty claims when you exceed the printed limits. that doesn't mean you can't or that it won't work. just take care when doing so.

amp

/ BX24 PTO tiller #20  
I think Kubota is simply being cautious with their restricted recommendations for implements. It wouldn't be kosher to recommend a 72" Bush Hog mated to a 1300 lbs tractor, for example. That being said, I have a 60" BB on my BX2230 and it works just fine.