Snow BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #11  
I have a Woods RB60 Rear Blade. I reverse it and angle it to the first hole and it works great for up to about 6 or 7 inches of snow. I have a gravel road and driveway and the cutting edge will dig too much if I don't pull it backwards. And yes, you can swing it 180 degrees no problem on a BX24.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #12  
You might try using a 3" pvc pipe cut the length of your blade. Cut a slit length-wise in the pipe so you can slide it on and off your blade. It has worked well with snow on gravel eliminates the digging. Also, used on gravel without snow.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #13  
I like this set up for my bx23. 60" KK R blade w/gauge wheels.

94819d1201752997-another-gauge-wheel-build-post-wheels-set-snow.jpg

I did have a height issue w/the KK R Blade not raising high enough. Switching the lower arm pin attach points on the blade from forward to down was a vast improvement. Compare the low arm attachment in following photo to the photo above.

96557d1204008303-r-blade-upgrade-x4-oa2.jpg

Gaining the additional height put a bind at the top link that I did not notice right away. I bent the top link at the threads next to the socket at the blade but I was able to straighten it and chase the threads to make it serviceable again. I cut a "V" notch in the offending pinch point of the top link support at the blade and that problem was solved. Sorry, no picture of that. If you do the raising modification just raise the blade slowly and watch for contact between the top link and the blade support point and you'll see easily what needs to be done.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #14  
Thank you so much for all the info.
PeterK,

Did you have to do anything special to your BX24 in order to attach the landpride60'?

Thanks,

Fred

Other than having to replace one of the 3-point hitch arms that was new defective, it fits w/o any problems.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #15  
I use a 60" Kodiak RB on my BX1860, and formerly on my previous tractor, a BX2230. I also wish it was slightly wider, or I wish my blade had an offset adjustment. Mine does swing 360 degrees with plenty of clearance, and much more lift on my 1860, then the 2230 had. (higher lift pivot point) I also plan to add rubber flaps on the sides to make the blade a bit wider and to clean a few more inches of width on the drive. I rarely use the blade for dirt work, but for that, its the right size.

If the snow is wet, heavy and deep, the tractor will spin out when "pulling" the snow forward. This is when a wider blade might be too much for the small BXs. Usually if its this heavy and deep, I will go to a steeper angle on the blade or use the loader to clear the worst of it, then come back and clean up with the blade. FEL and RB has worked very well for me.

My former residence had an asphalt drive so I sandwiched a piece of rubber horse mat between the blade and the scraper to keep from gouging the drive. Even though I now have concrete I have left the rubber mat in place. I have found this works well when blading the sidewalks and the edge of the drive. When the blade hits the grass next to the sidewalk or the drive, it does not rip out the dirt and grass like it would if it did not have the rubber edge.

Note: The Kodiak does not come in Kubota Orange, I painted it several years ago to match and my Dealer hooked me up with some decals.

Attachments

• Kubota BX1860 Dec 2008 024.jpg
    Kubota BX1860 Dec 2008 024.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 1,029
   / BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #16  
How long is your drive? I have a 60+ inch blade on an L3400 but with a drive area equivalent to a 600 foot long driveway even this bigger blade gets useless in a 5" storm.....you can't windrow the snow higher than the bank with a back blade, and you can't push snow that far, so you've gove yourself in a mess with a drive as long as mine. On a short drive it would be great.

We also get wet snow here in NH often, and good luck blowing wet snow that has been pushed with a blade. It's like blowing sticky mashed potatoes, does not work well.

If you have a lot of area a blade can be very limited. I'm down to doing only cleanup with mine or working with storms 2 inches or so.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.
So went to the dealer yesterday and they carry the Landpride RB05 series 60".
($425)

This unit does not have tilt capability but I don't know if my BX24 would be powerful enough anyway.

I would use the blade for snow removal in winter and some gravel driveway grading.

Do you think I should go for the RBT15 60" with tilt?

Thanks

Fred

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #18  
In five years I have never used the tilt on mine....but I guess I like knowing I have that option if needed. It may be useful for putting a crown on a gravel driveway, or for sloping dirt for water runoff away from a house, or shed or something?

I guess it would depend on how much more it costs vs. the non-tilting RB. I think when I checked on a new RBT15 with my new tractor it was listed at $750, and they would give me $200 trade for my old blade......I kept the old blade :)

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.
Badaman,

Like you, it would be nice to know that I have the tilt option, I can't think of any use for it at this time but within a week of purchasing the non tilting blade I am sure that the opportunity will present itself.....

I never removed the backhoe from my BX24 so I don't know too much about the Cat1 and I was wondering if there was a way to positioned the blade at a tilting angle? Not much, but something like 10 degrees or so, this way I'll have my peace of mind..... just in case....

Thanks for the reply.

Fred

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #20  
So went to the dealer yesterday and they carry the Landpride RB05 series 60".
($425)

This unit does not have tilt capability but I don't know if my BX24 would be powerful enough anyway.

I would use the blade for snow removal in winter and some gravel driveway grading.

Do you think I should go for the RBT15 60" with tilt?

Thanks

Fred

Fred, That's the one I have. Paid $375 this summer. You can adjust the top link and get a nice scraping angle w/o digging in, but no tilt. I would buy the same one again.