BX24 - Rotary or MMM?

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #11  
Just2quickz28 said:
Then I guess a 3pt mower is on your list :)
*removing the backhoe is easy as long as you have a concrete slab to put it on. .
That's just it :
If he goes with a rear mower he gets to take off and install 2 attachments instead of one all the time.
With a MMM there is only one attachment to do this with, but better yet he can just leave it on and forget the implement switching hassle altogether.

That's what I do with my BX23 and the fact that that you can use it with the FEL BH and MMM attached was one of the big features that sold me on getting the BX23.
Why defeat the very purpose of the BX23 BX24 by going with a rear mower???

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #12  
without the concrete floor to build a dolly for the MMM it can be a total pain in the arse to put on and take off. I am really debating on just changing the guard wheels to casters.

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #13  
1*Exactly the reason I leave my BX23 set up with the FEL BH and 60'' MMM on it just like it was when I got it 3 years ago.
2*Have done all of this with my BX23 with all 3 attachments on it at the same time.
Absolutely no issues or problems using it set up that way.
3*I have a BX 1500 with a 48'' rear tiller and 60'' front blade for that and grading and landscaping task.
Here again I don't have to do any attachment switching.
4*I prefer leaving the mmm on doing such task.
Works fine for me and I don't have to fool around playing musical attachments.
In my book that's the only way to fly!
5*I've never had a ground clearance issue with the rig.
6*I've never felt a thing doing that on the BX23.
7*no way would I want to put myself in the position of having to constantly install and remove the Mower and BH over and over again and again.
Thankfully The MMM saves me all that hassle.
I can only see one advantage that a rear 3 point finish mower or brush hog has over a MMM.
You can back them out over banks and ditches to trim them.
8* 48'' Max.
Woods land pride and king kutter.
Should be able to find good used for about have the cost of new.
Exmple I just paid $1450 for a new MMM.
I have a good used one I'd take $725 for.
9*A pull behind is hooked to the trailer hitch and is towed like any trailer would be.
They are powered by their own engine rather than from the tractor.
A 3 point mower is attached to the tractors 3 point hitch and is powered from the tractors rear power take off.
== L B ==

JWK1 said:
I'm seriously considering going with the back mount type rotary mower.
1*The reason for this is that I fully anticipate needing the BH and FEL for work in between most mowings.
2* I've got some stumps, ground lvening, driveway trench digging for drainage, etc. The list goes on and on.
3*garden bed digging,
4*The point being that I don't want a MMM on while I'm doing all this .
5*if nothing more than the lack of ground clearance.
6*It would be a real pain negotiating through the woods or brush with that thing on.
7*If you worked like this in between most mowings, would you go with a rotary rather than the MMM?
8*What is the recommended size rotary for the BX24?
Any make recommended other than Kubota?
Are used readily available and worth it?
9* I also don't understand the difference between a pull behind and a 3 pt mower.

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #14  
I have a BX 24., MMM, I leave it on doing most FEL and backhoe work. I find that it "normally" does not get in the way and having about 3 acres of grass., whenevery I am out and about I am cutting to and from the field...

I have just ordered the skid plate ($180 if I recall), why, got a new tiller I am rebuilding so I am pretty sure I will not have the MMM mounted when tilling. Now if I can figure out all the weight and balance I would love to drop the fel too!

Don't want a 3 pt mower makes it too hard to get around the turns etc...drop the fel and backhoe and the BX is a great mower...and make sure you get the new seat!!

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #16  
Jimmyp5 said:
I am pretty sure I will not have the MMM mounted when tilling.
Drop the fel and backhoe and the BX is a great mower !
I till with the used BX1500 so my MMM stays on the BX23.
No Fel or BH on my new BX1500 just a MMM.

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #17  
but not when you have to install /remove the BH to use it.
It is if the BH is already off and the 3PH is already mounted.........

I know we've debated this around over the yrs but "most" folks don't finish mow w/the BH & FEL mounted.
MY top 3 reasons why I remove the FEL & BH to finish mow.
#1 it adds an additional 1000 lbs to the tractor which compacts and even damages the lawn worse.
#2 it drastically reduces areas the BX can mow, areas that it CAN mow sans the BH & FEL.
#3 you don't have to purchase another mower to finish mow areas you can't mow setup as a TLB, i.e. saves you money.

Additionally, I can dismount/mount my BH & FEL onto dollies in approx 10 minutes without tools and can mount my MMM & 3PH in the same amount of time, also without tools. Granted I have a nice concrete floor and enjoy the versatility of my BX23.
Normally I leave the MMM on when I need to mount the BH & FEL to do some digging as it doesn't get in the way and provides protection for the BX23's vitals. But when I do get into serious TLB work where ground clearance is a major issue and I don't won't to bang my MMM out of level, it only takes me 10 minutes to drop it and pin my home made skidplate on in it's place, also toolless.
To me the BX23 is just too easy to swap implements to not too.......

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #18  
Volfandt said:
I know we've debated this around over the yrs but "most" folks don't finish mow w/the BH & FEL mounted.
MY top 3 reasons why I remove the FEL & BH to finish mow.
#1 it adds an additional 1000 lbs to the tractor which compacts and even damages the lawn worse.
#2 it drastically reduces areas the BX can mow, areas that it CAN mow sans the BH & FEL.
#3 you don't have to purchase another mower to finish mow areas you can't mow setup as a TLB, i.e. saves you money.

I'd like to add one more to the list.
4. You don't have to worry about catching the FEL or BH on a tree or part of your house.

I rammed a tree going down a steep hill with the corner of the FEL the first day I used it, I thought I was going to heaven. My seat is ruined from the pucker factor!

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #19  
:D Ya hain't supposed to run over every thing just cause ya have a fel on it!!;)
megaboz said:
I'd like to add one more to the list.
4. You don't have to worry about catching the FEL or BH on a tree or part of your house.

I rammed a tree going down a steep hill with the corner of the FEL the first day I used it, I thought I was going to heaven. My seat is ruined from the pucker factor!
:)

/ BX24 - Rotary or MMM? #20  
Volfandt said:
...MY top 3 reasons why I remove the FEL & BH to finish mow.
#3 you don't have to purchase another mower to finish mow areas you can't mow setup as a TLB, i.e. saves you money...

Yep...it's no ZTR, but "naked," it outdoes any lawn/garden "tractor" I've ever owned. Plus, I learned years ago to make mulched areas match or exceed the mower's turning radius...

...Additionally, I can dismount/mount my BH & FEL onto dollies in approx 10 minutes without tools and can mount my MMM & 3PH in the same amount of time...

For me on asphalt, a little less on the FEL, more on the BH...but on average, 10's a good number. I'm not even close on the MMM yet:( , but I've only had the BX since last June...I need more OJT...:)

Just2quickz28 said:
...the MMM it can be a total pain in the arse to put on and take off. I am really debating on just changing the guard wheels to casters...

I rotate the gauge wheels 90 degrees and re-pin them, raise the front end with the FEL, and the MMM rolls right out to the side. Now...we won't talk about reconnecting the U-joint:mad: