Loader bx24

/ bx24 #1  

bamaKen

Tractor
kubota bx24d, yanamar ym2000, ford 801, ford 2000 3cyl, kubota L1500
bx24 loader won't raise the front of the tractor.
and if it does it leaks back down very quickly

/ bx24 #2  
bx24 loader won't raise the front of the tractor.
and if it does it leaks back down very quickly

If there are no external leaks and leak down is fairly quick then it is usually a sign that the control valve/spool is leaking hydraulic fluid from the cylinder back to the reservoir. The issue of not being able to lift the tractor may have to do with pressure and a pressure relief valve may need cleaning, adjusting or replacing. Having air in the fluid could also cause the issues you are having.

Have you checked hydraulic fluid level? Changed fluid and filters on a regular basis? Is there a separate screen that needs cleaning? Checked fluid condition after operating for a while?

/ bx24 #3  
It could be the valve, but more specifically the detent on the back of the spool. Did this just happen or has this been going on for awhile?

One of the lift cylinders could be leaking by and I suspect a more likely problem. With the bucket flat on the ground, curl the bucket as you would dump it. It sould raise the tractor. If it raises, does it still leak down?

Likewise, load the bucket with dirt and raise the loader. Does the loader leak down?

/ bx24
thanks guys for the quick answers. So i will try and answer each question.
just brought the tractor. and yes the hydraulic fluid was low.
hour meter is not readable.
no history at all got it from a auction house.
assumed the weak loader was due to be low on fluid.
added some universal udt fluid from tractor supply
run and drive it around. extend and retract all cylinders.
the fluid has some bubbles in it. which i assume is air?
the dipper cylinder has some seepage not real bad.
but the back is very strong.
i hear little whine slight hum. is this normal?

"pressure and a pressure relief valve may need cleaning, adjusting or replacing"
where is it at?

"Having air in the fluid could also cause the issues you are having".
how do i bleed it or remove the air?

"It could be the valve, but more specifically the detent on the back of the spool. Did this just happen or has this been going on for awhile?".
i bought it last saturday in its current condition.

"With the bucket flat on the ground, curl the bucket as you would dump it. It sould raise the tractor. If it raises, does it still leak down?".

it raises very little but it raises it by pulling (extending) the boom cylinders out and as soon as i lever is released it goes back down with in 1-2 seconds.

"Likewise, load the bucket with dirt and raise the loader. Does the loader leak down?"

been raining since i got it but i tried to lift my tiller and it will lift but not good and yes it leaks back down but not as fast.

Thanks again for the help. my wife will kill me if i bought a POC :cool:

/ bx24 #5  
no history at all got it from a auction house.
Oooof.

How many hours? Fluid levels are correct? It's all hydro driven off the same pump, it drives and operates fine other than the loader? That would be a good sign that you probably don't have a POS.

/ bx24
thanks for the vote of confidence on NO POS.
i extended all the cylinders. and checked the fluid and it is about half way up the hatch marks on the stick.

"How many hours?"
i wish i knew. hour meter is not readable

" Fluid levels are correct?"
yes i believe so

would a video of it help?
the bucket cylinder seems to work better that the boom cylinders.
so i was wondering if the float detent value might be leaking?
i assume that the float value only effects the boom cylinders not the bucket cylinder?
but i cant seem to find anything about that.
i seem to able to find book on the bx23s but not on the bx24(d)
thanks Ken

/ bx24 #7  
Hour meter doesn't work? Is this a flood victim? Water in the oil? Who knows how much is wrong at this point. Has all the fluids and filters been changed?

/ bx24 #8  
thanks for the vote of confidence on NO POS.
i extended all the cylinders. and checked the fluid and it is about half way up the hatch marks on the stick.

"How many hours?"
i wish i knew. hour meter is not readable

" Fluid levels are correct?"
yes i believe so

would a video of it help?
the bucket cylinder seems to work better that the boom cylinders.
so i was wondering if the float detent value might be leaking?
i assume that the float value only effects the boom cylinders not the bucket cylinder?
but i cant seem to find anything about that.
i seem to able to find book on the bx23s but not on the bx24(d)
thanks Ken
Sure, a video would help a lot.
Make sure the fluid is clear, not milky
Air in the fluid is rare, but in the BX24 it may be a good clue. Usually air goes away by itself when you run it a bit. If not, it usually comes via a suction side leak between sump and inlet to the hydraulic pump. That includes the rubber line that is known to cause problems on your model tractor. I believe Kubota sells an upgraded suction line. Check that line.
I doubt it is internal leakage in the boom cylinders. Internal leakage is almost never the problem. In fact, internal bypass leakage cannot make the cylinder and rod pair shorten.
Many tractors will not lift the front much by simply laying the bucket flat and using bucket pressure; they need boom down pressure.
I have no idea what is meant by a float detent valve leaking.
rScotty

/ bx24
Dang ruffdog. i know your name has ruff in it, but don't be so ruff :p.
No i think those hour meters are notorious for going bad on the bx24.
no water in the oil.
not a flood victim as far as i know.
have not changed any fluids yet.

/ bx24
Sure, a video would help a lot.
Make sure the fluid is clear, not milky
Air in the fluid is rare, but in the BX24 it may be a good clue. Usually air goes away by itself when you run it a bit. If not, it usually comes via a suction side leak between sump and inlet to the hydraulic pump. That includes the rubber line that is known to cause problems on your model tractor. I believe Kubota sells an upgraded suction line. Check that line.
I doubt it is internal leakage in the boom cylinders. Internal leakage is almost never the problem. In fact, internal bypass leakage cannot make the cylinder and rod pair shorten.
Many tractors will not lift the front much by simply laying the bucket flat and using bucket pressure; they need boom down pressure.
I have no idea what is meant by a float detent valve leaking.
rScotty
the oil is not milky
the backhoe is strong.

"Usually air goes away by itself when you run it a bit" how long is a bit ?
i put hydraulic oil into the rear end. i guess i was thinking that the pump was in the rear end and would not have a hose form the sump to the pump.
but this is when i get into trouble when i start thinking LOL.

i may have to contact the Stealer on it i guess. and yes i spelled it right.
i see all kind of pic of the bx24 with all four wheels off the ground by a foot or better.
so i think it should be able to do it.
i will send a video at lunch
if will quit raining
ken