Traction BX25 differential lock problem - need disassembly and repair links.

/ BX25 differential lock problem - need disassembly and repair links. #1  

ya472

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Seems something broke, as the differential lock is partially engaging.

I have 1600 hours on the machine and engage the differential lock often, but before I have a traction issue. Unloaded, I engage the pedal and gently turn until the lock engages, then proceed to work.

Now the lock will not disengage. I have jacked the rear tires off the ground, pulled the lever fully up and rock the tires back and forth and the lock will disengage. However, when moving the tractor, without touching the pedal the real wheels lock up. As I slowly proceed, I depress the pedal and get resistance, turning slightly the pedal will drop into LOCK mode. It isn't making sense to me.

I am thinking maybe one pin broke and is floating independent of the engagement fork, or maybe the fork broke? When jacked up and I rotate the wheels, maybe gravity pulls the pin into retraction?

I want to dismantle the differential and resolve the problem, so my question is, does anyone have links to information to help me with this process ?

I do have a digital copy of the Service Manual, but the resolution sucks.

thanks for help.

/ BX25 differential lock problem - need disassembly and repair links.
Additional information:

I have a 2010 BX25 and for some bizarre reason, the differential lock will engage, possibly with only one pin. ????

Since the axles have to be perfectly aligned to lock the differential, it seems the lock is engaged put the pedal won't go down at first then it does.

I would like to know how the "Pin, Straight, 2 needed, 37300-28170" stays engaged to the "Shifter, Diff.L , 1 needed K2561-12590" (Coleman Equipment site).

Is there a retainer clip ?

Thx to anyone who has this knowledge, pictures, links or other help.

/ BX25 differential lock problem - need disassembly and repair links. #3  
1500 hrs on mine and no problems. I avoid engaging the DL as long as possible as it is very cumbersome to engage and keep the pedal depressed while trying to get out of bad situation. This is another of the several things on the BX like the plastic fan that were not designed without operator input. By now some one should have designed a hand operated option that allows engagement until cancelled. That would eliminate the slippage of the heel off the pedal, or maybe a larger pedal.

Ron

/ BX25 differential lock problem - need disassembly and repair links.
"
1500 hrs on mine and no problems."

Just over 1600 hours on mine, and in February, my FEL frame snapped in half at the bucket cylinder attachment weld.

" By now some one should have designed a hand operated option that allows engagement until cancelled. That would eliminate the slippage of the heel off the pedal, or maybe a larger pedal."

Now that is an IDEA I might just do. It would be easy to weld a lever to the foot pedal( edit & added: I suppose it could also be foot operated) and fabricate a detent to hold position. However, I am usually operating the FEL controls and steering at the same time, so I am not sure how convenient that would be. I use the differential lock frequently in mucky situations and often when max-loading the bucket or digging. I always engage it thoughtfully and gently, as I do not like to abuse my machines, but do use them to capacity.

The biggest issue with driving with the lock engaged is steering, and potential metal pin fatigue.(if one forgets the lock and drives on pavement or concrete, it definitely can cause extensive damage)

I wonder why Kubota did not use a four pin lock instead of the two?

I have contacted Kubota about the possible FEL metal fatigue issue, and their replies suggest they do not care.

Last edited: