Dirt Moving BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates?

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates?
I really appreciate all of the responses I have gotten. It has been very helpful. Since I do not do this for a living, I have learned a lot from all of your input. Here is where I am at:

1. The quantity of soil required based on some design elevation changes is 7 truck load (12-13 yards ea. Truck).

2. My client will transport my tractor to his house and back since I do not have a truck and trailer for it.

3. I have seen posts for some fast times and slow times. I have experienced about 85 hours on my BX and about 100 on my old tractor (see avatar).

4. I informed him it will take about 20-30 hours @ $40/hours. Remember, I am on furlough from my architectural firm and need to make up for loss income. Perhaps I am eating some overhead, I do not know. This is a onetime shot, I get to play and gain some more experience.

5. I will not do it if I have to rent a different machine. He can hire someone else to do it. That is fine with me. I have other jobs to make up the loss income. It really mutual favors. He gives me income and I give him work from someone he know (and trusts). I told him about the skid steer option I read about.

6. My client wants me to do it on the BX.

7. The pathway (see pictures at top of thread) is actually 4 feet sidewalk and 6’ gravel with shrubs sticking out along the wall. I believe they can be trimmed to allow the tractor to stay on the gravel for the most part. From the front drive way (where the black truck is on the picture) through a 6’ double steel doors and down the side of the house to the back is a straight shot. 2wd vs 4wd I didn’t even consider until brought up byCHD and Coreshot (Thanks).

8. In addition, I will inform my client, this is the time to bring in the topsoil he will need for the final landscaping. He will concur and I will make additional income for the additional time, perhaps another 2 day.

9. If I can’t play on my BX then I will choose not to do it.

Thanks!

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #42  
Good logic.

The only thing I would change is not hire a skid steer operator. Rent the skid steer yourself.

It was my intent that he include whatever his hourly rate would be for the time required rather than the rate of a skid steer operator. I guess it could have been interpreted either way and your clarification was very much in order based on my wording.

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #43  
It was my intent that he include whatever his hourly rate would be for the time required rather than the rate of a skid steer operator. I guess it could have been interpreted either way and your clarification was very much in order based on my wording.

Ahh, I see. Sometimes I read too fast...

So, one question I gotta ask is... is the customer getting a deal here? 24 to 30 hours @ $40 per hour versus 8 hours for a skid steer @ what $85 per hour?

I wholeheartedly understand the reasoning for the OP to take the job, and I wish him well. However this appears to be a case of paying more because the wrong equipment is being used.

No offense meant, hopefully none taken.

Rob

Ahh, I see. Sometimes I read too fast...

So, one question I gotta ask is... is the customer getting a deal here? 24 to 30 hours @ $40 per hour versus 8 hours for a skid steer @ what $85 per hour?

I wholeheartedly understand the reasoning for the OP to take the job, and I wish him well. However this appears to be a case of paying more because the wrong equipment is being used.

No offense meant, hopefully none taken.

Rob

Based on my reading of the posts above, I am thinking the skidsteer will tear up that sidewalk, whereas the BX will be nice and gentle thus probably leave no marking it ever was there. Is it really the 'wrong' equipment? and what is the meaning of paying more? Is it solely quantitative? I have given my client the choices above, he chose me and the BX.

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #45  
whereas the BX will be nice and gentle thus probably leave no marking it ever was there.
If you can stay entirely off the sidewalk it would probably be better for you, as I can't imagine you won't get some oil or grease stains on the concrete somewhere along the way.

And remember to leave time once a day to grease your machine. :thumbsup:

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #46  
Based on my reading of the posts above, I am thinking the skidsteer will tear up that sidewalk, whereas the BX will be nice and gentle thus probably leave no marking it ever was there. Is it really the 'wrong' equipment? and what is the meaning of paying more? Is it solely quantitative? I have given my client the choices above, he chose me and the BX.

When I say paying more, I used this:

24 - 30 hours @ $40 per hour = $960 to $1200 (BX)
8 hours @ $85 per hour (this includes operator) = $680 (skid steer)

I'm not being judgemental... and I hope your not taking it that way. I was just posing the question.

If your BX can stay on the sidewalk, you are probably right... it wont get tore up. But if you have to get on the gravel, it is going to look tore up after 24 hours of back and forth.

If you can stay entirely off the sidewalk it would probably be better for you, as I can't imagine you won't get some oil or grease stains on the concrete somewhere along the way.

And remember to leave time once a day to grease your machine. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

Hmm. TF where would the oil stains come from?

When I say paying more, I used this:

24 - 30 hours @ $40 per hour = $960 to $1200 (BX)
8 hours @ $85 per hour (this includes operator) = $680 (skid steer)

I'm not being judgemental... and I hope your not taking it that way. I was just posing the question.

If your BX can stay on the sidewalk, you are probably right... it wont get tore up. But if you have to get on the gravel, it is going to look tore up after 24 hours of back and forth.

RJ- Understood. A little fluffing with a rake will fix the gravel. I was more concerned with the concrerte.

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #49  
RJ- Understood. A little fluffing with a rake will fix the gravel. I was more concerned with the concrerte.

I've put down plywood and not had any damaged walks when moving gravel with my BX

/ BX25 How Much Dirt can you move and labor rates? #50  
Hmm. TF where would the oil stains come from?
Just a precaution really, since a few drops, or even one, on that white concrete, will really stand out. Working your BX25 hard for so long in that hot climate I would expect the grease to get a bit thin and that's certainly possible to drip. Also, you never know when a hydraulic line might drip after heavy use. I just had two backhoe hose connections that dripped a bit after hours of stump digging...a quarter turn snug up for each and all was fine, but there are oil stains now on my plywood floor.

Thirty years of custom home remodeling have taught me that the best way to keep good relations with a homeowner is to anticipate and avoid as many problems like this as you can.

Ultrarunner has a good solution above...done that many times, too.